PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV not in iTunes devices

jewmac
16th April 2008, 01:00 AM
Hi All,

Since the upgrade to iTunes 7.6.2 my Apple TV has just disappeared from the devices list. Not only has this occurred but i can no longer share my iTunes library with other users on the network. This is not only affecting the OSX platform but Windows also. I have contacted apple support who instructed me to re install iTunes and had no idea's after that did not work. I believe the problem might be with Bonjour, has any one else seen this problem and has anyone got a work around that i can try....this problem is driving me nuts.

woofy
17th April 2008, 06:41 PM
Hmm sounds like a firewall prob...maybe the upgrade uses a port it didn't before.
Sometimes this also happens to me, when I have hidden the SSID on my router and the computer or Appletv get a software update and can't find the wifi network automatically anymore until i unhide it.

jewmac
18th April 2008, 12:31 PM
Yes i had thought of that. however I use the Ethernet side of things, have assigned a static IP number and my G4 Powermac which has not had the iTunes update works seamlessly. I believe Apple made changes to mDNS and took out the UPnP options.....

bennettnz
18th April 2008, 01:00 PM
This sounds like the stupidist thing but just incase maybe check that your ethernet cord isn't bent or damaged...

Also I imagine that you have set itunes to look for the apple tv unit in your itunes preferences...

grorr76
18th April 2008, 01:28 PM
have had a similar issue with my apple tv i simply reset the apple tv's settings and it came rite.

lazydesi
18th April 2008, 02:08 PM
yep

simply reset the apple tv settings it will show up

jewmac
19th April 2008, 03:03 PM
I have done all the obvious, reset everything still cannot see apple tv. If i look for another machine on network (ie Powermac.local ) i get errors yet i can log into machine if using its IP number. Go Figure!

grorr76
19th April 2008, 03:15 PM
I have done all the obvious, reset everything still cannot see apple tv. If i look for another machine on network (ie Powermac.local ) i get errors yet i can log into machine if using its IP number. Go Figure!

tried a system restore on the apple tv?

jewmac
20th April 2008, 01:24 PM
Yep. Have done a system restore on apple tv goes back to version 1.1 ( which i confess i prefer these menu's) and still cannot see the updated itunes. I have since updated ATV to V2.0.2 and still not fixed problem. I still believe the problem lies in DNS or mDNS. Even when i try to log onto a SMB share i can no longer use machine name and share point i now have to use the IP address.

jewmac
26th April 2008, 12:46 PM
PROBLEM FIXED !!!!!.
The Problem turned out to be a faulty Fast Ethernet Switch. Once the culprit was remove and replaced with an old faithful hub all worked like a charm.