PDA

View Full Version : Outgoing messages stalling in Mail

gtext
15th April 2008, 09:31 PM
Seem to be having a problem sending emails with an attachment. Seems ok without.
I've been using a 3MB PDF for testing as this is what I originally tried to send.
Goes partly through the sending process then just stops. It then times out saying it's lost contact with the server.

Sending to the same address ( one of mine) with the same attachment on a (hate to say it) windows laptop on the same network sends ok. Done this numerous times. Seems to rule out an ISP server issue.

First time this has happened after getting this Mac a couple of months ago.
No new software installed lately either.
Wondering if one of the updates of late may have caused this.

Currawong
15th April 2008, 09:33 PM
Anything in the console? What mail server is it by the way?

gtext
15th April 2008, 10:35 PM
Anything in the console? What mail server is it by the way?

Bit lost there. What should I be looking for in the console. Server type I don't know. Domain and non domain hosted by Chariot. Does pop3 & smpt help for the domain.

Checked a couple more times. The stalling seems to be happening when mail automatically checks for new email. The outgoing stalls to 0 kb but doesn't recover. At least that's what it's doing now.
Not before though.
Maybe it is a temporary bandwidth issue after all. Might leave it for a day or so and see if it comes good again

Good idea?

Edit : All I could see at the time the problem occurred.

15/04/08 10:52:12 PM com.apple.launchd[71] ([0x0-0x66066].com.apple.systempreferences[615]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 619 PPID 1 SCHelper
15/04/08 10:55:45 PM com.apple.launchd[71] ([0x0-0x2f02f].com.apple.mail[296]) Exited: Terminated

chrsha01
15th April 2008, 11:37 PM
Check your general mail preferences, maybe there's something that's incorrect.

Hope this helps. :)

Currawong
16th April 2008, 01:46 PM
The only way to trouble-shoot email connections is to have a log of the actual connection, so it can be seen where it's failing. I can't find any way to make Mail log connections, but there is a "Connection Doctor" in the Window menu. Does that help you at all?

gtext
16th April 2008, 02:27 PM
The only way to trouble-shoot email connections is to have a log of the actual connection, so it can be seen where it's failing. I can't find any way to make Mail log connections, but there is a "Connection Doctor" in the Window menu. Does that help you at all?

Connection Doctor shows no issues.

Tried creating a new user account then creating a email account there. Same thing there. The outgoing message stalls part of the way through. Mail doesn't crash or anything just stops uploading and looses the sever connection. Emails without attachments are ok. Assuming because they go through quickly.

I can ftp large files to my web space and download large files without any dropout. Not loosing a connection there so I don't think the network is dropping out. But in mail seems to loose the server.

Still able to email any file size on my other computers without issues. (windows)

Just got a reply back from my ISP. The domain and non domain email addresses I have are on separate servers. So a server issue shouldn't effect both. Not sure if that helps.

Not sure what else to try. Thanks for helping so far.

An update. The ISP gave me another outgoing mail server address to try for the non domain. Seems to have worked.
Even though it occasionally drops to 0 kb for a second it picks up again and sends.:)

See if they can come up with a solution for the domain addresses.

Further update : Advised by the ISP to use the same outgoing mail server address for the domain. Worked :)