PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading My Imac

Secoa
16th January 2004, 07:04 AM
I am wanting to upgrade my iMac ie. I wish to purchase the following:

~ Panther
~ ilife 04
~ an additional 512meg of RAM for my 17 inch iMac (I think I need 512mb PC2100 DDR RAM is this right for user installed RAM?)

I realise the first 2 are actually set and probably cannot be bought cheaper. (which could bring me to another gripe that when the Aussie purchase price was released for Panther the AUD was around 55C USD now it is around 77C USD I can't see why it hasn't come down in price??)

Anyway enough questions and I better get back to work...........

stevejay
16th January 2004, 07:15 AM
I am wanting to upgrade my iMac ie. I wish to purchase the following:
~ Panther
Money well spent! When I bought my eMac, it came with Jaguar but was eligible for the cheap upgrade to Panther, so I've done an A-B comparison (Jaguar on a Saturday, same tasks on Panther on Sunday B) ) between the two and it's as big a jump as from 9.2 to X.2 IMHO

~ ilife 04
I'm gagging for this, if only for Garage Band, but the other iApps are all pretty well beefed up, too. Might be worth waiting a bit. iLife comes free with any new Mac from soon, so it might also be upgraded in the after-market edition of Panther. Can't be sure of this, though.

~ an additional 512meg of RAM for my 17 inch iMac (I think I need 512mb PC2100 DDR RAM is this right for user installed RAM?)
www.everymac.com (http://www.everymac.com/) will be able to answer that difinitively (much easier than wading through Apple's support pages, very neatly laid out by model.)

I realise the first 2 are actually set and probably cannot be bought cheaper. (which could bring me to another gripe that when the Aussie purchase price was released for Panther the AUD was around 55C USD now it is around 77C USD I can't see why it hasn't come down in price??)
Sad fact of life, really, and it's still cheaper for a full install of Panther than for an upgrade of Doze XP in most cases.

Radar
16th January 2004, 08:09 AM
According to www.crucial.com you need PC2700 RAM for a 17in iMac. Take a look though to be certain.

Your mac will love the upgrades, Panther most of all.

macropus
16th January 2004, 01:19 PM
A good place to buy the ram is http://www.epowermac.com.au/ , bought 512mb ram off them for my Tibook & after about 6 months (a bit slow these days :-) ) I noticed a few annoying problems & decided to run the Hardware Test Disc which reported memory errors, epowermac replaced the ram promptly with no problems.
Not connected to them in any ways, just a happy customer.

purana
20th January 2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by macropus@Jan 16 2004, 01:19 PM
A good place to buy the ram is http://www.epowermac.com.au/ , bought 512mb ram off them for my Tibook & after about 6 months (a bit slow these days :-) ) I noticed a few annoying problems & decided to run the Hardware Test Disc which reported memory errors, epowermac replaced the ram promptly with no problems.
Not connected to them in any ways, just a happy customer.
epowermac seem great. I rang them and asked about firewire400/usb2 enclosure I want to buy and they were very very helpfull. Not to mention very polite.

decryption
20th January 2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by iodine@Jan 20 2004, 01:50 PM
epowermac seem great. I rang them and asked about firewire400/usb2 enclosure I want to buy and they were very very helpfull. Not to mention very polite.
Aaaanndd they're our sponsor!
All money we get via advertising on this site gets used for site upgrades, so if you do decide to buy from epowermac, click one of the ad's on the front page, *then* buy, so we get a 4% commission.