PDA

View Full Version : .mac subscription pricing - WTF?!

njleach
15th April 2008, 11:56 AM
Hi,

Bought my first Mac back in January and love it :thumbup:

What i'm not loving however is the pricing of the .mac subscription - either single user (RRP $139.95) or the family pack (RRP $249.95).

I know i can buy them on eBay but there is a risk involved in such transactions. I thought i'd phone Apple to see if they had a discount for education customers (i'm a uni student) and apparently they don't. I then googled ".mac subscription discount" and found that amazon.com have a .mac family pack for US$125.49 (AU $135!) - but cannot ship outside the US.

What's with the massive price discrepancy for a .mac subscription? If I have a US billing address i can buy a .mac family pack from the US Apple store for US $179 (AU$200). But because i live in AU i pay $50 more for WHAT - the exact same .mac subscription?!

And because i don't live in the US i can't get amazon to ship it to me for $100 less than the retail price. I'm sorry but that's just bullsh*t.

Anyone else fed up with the .mac subscription price discrepancies?

Nick

tcn33
15th April 2008, 11:59 AM
Not really. Most folks on here would say ".mac? Why bother when there's (insert alternative)", "Buy it from eBay" (which is what I did), or "Apple price discrepancies have been done to death in other threads".

njleach
15th April 2008, 12:15 PM
Not really. Most folks on here would say "Apple price discrepancies have been done to death in other threads".

But isn't there a good reason why the price discrepancies get "done to death"? Other new Mac users such as myself by the sounds of it have also been annoyed at having to pay a premium for the same thing as our US counterparts.

Wasn't this type of price fixing the basis of a class action regarding iTunes pricing throughout the EU that resulted in Apple in January this year standardising its UK iTunes store prices to match the rest of the EU?? Initially they thought they could charge UK customers more based on... the country in which they live??

Is the Apple price discrepancy problem so prolific that Aussies have just given up on getting a fair go in relation to what we pay for Apple software (in my case the .mac subscription)?

Disko
15th April 2008, 12:23 PM
njleach, I had a free .mac subscription for a year after doing apple sales training at a reseller. I can tell you now, it isn't worth the US Amazon pricing, let alone the Australian pricing. :)

Be a consumer. Vote with your wallet. Don't buy it.

tcn33
15th April 2008, 12:32 PM
Is the Apple price discrepancy problem so prolific that Aussies have just given up on getting a fair go in relation to what we pay for Apple software (in my case the .mac subscription)?
Well, not to be unkind about it but it's not near as much a problem as you think it is.

Let's look at the family pack. It's $179 USD, on top of which you'd pay sales tax - call it 8% on average. This brings your total to $193.32 USD. At today's exchange rate of 0.92, that's $210 AUD. Of course, in order to get this pricing you have to factor in a plane ticket, so that brings it to about $2210.

Or Apple could sell it for the exact same price on a straight conversion basis. (Leaving aside the issue of currency fluctuations, which people always want Apple to absorb. Never going to happen.) That's $179 USD or $194.56 AUD. Add GST onto that and you get $214 - a difference of $35. Not really a huge deal.

The only time you get a big difference is when you take into account Amazon's price, which they probably can offer due to volume. So it seems to me your beef is with Amazon for not selling .mac to overseas buyers.

eBay is cheap, safe, and has been used by many, many MacTalkers to purchase .mac.

Please do a search for the numerous threads on this topic before you attempt to argue the point further. This comes up every two months and every point to be made has been made before.

jrad
15th April 2008, 12:36 PM
That said, I do find the .Mac IMAP service pretty quick and responsive... far quicker than Gmails IMAP. I also enjoy using the iDisk - often I find myself needing to share materials - particularly when editing videos... and it's really easy to use.

Yeah, it's expensive. But at the same time remember that cost covers hosting of a website - if you use that for a business and enjoy being able to keep it maintained yourself (though iWeb or other means) than it's great.

Peter Mount
15th April 2008, 12:41 PM
I'm thinking of buying it for the iDisk part of it. I'm sure there may be cheaper services but I'm thinking Apple would be more reliable than some other online storage sites.

Correct me if I'm wrong of course :)

njleach
15th April 2008, 12:56 PM
That said, I do find the .Mac IMAP service pretty quick and responsive... far quicker than Gmails IMAP. I also enjoy using the iDisk - often I find myself needing to share materials - particularly when editing videos... and it's really easy to use.

Yeah, it's expensive. But at the same time remember that cost covers hosting of a website - if you use that for a business and enjoy being able to keep it maintained yourself (though iWeb or other means) than it's great.

Yeah when i had my trial i liked the hosting of the website as well as web gallery and autosync.

tcn33 - i did search before i posted for 'mac subscription pricing' but it returned 3 results, none of which directly answered my question. searching 'mac subscription' returns posts predominantly concerned with whether the mac subscription is worth the price, not directly addressing the price discrepancy itself for the mac subscription. my gripe would be with amazon.com if it itself imposed the shipping restrictions on its products, but as the amazon shipping restrictions FAQ states these are imposed by the manufacturer, Apple, and not amazon itself. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/browse/-/468634/pop-up/ref=ord_cisa_isr

I like the .mac product and all its features, i just don't like having to pay more for the subscription because i live in Australia.

tcn33
15th April 2008, 01:15 PM
A search for "price difference" brings up these two threads, probably the most relevant to your situation:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/21/38681-mac-exchange-rate-rip-off-17-overpriced-australia.html
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/45395-price-usa-awesome-if-you-want-iphone-get-them.html

Quite a few folks have used PriceUSA and had good things to say, so that's one way for you to get that Amazon pricing.

Good luck :)

markh
15th April 2008, 01:18 PM
whine, whine, whine, whine, whine....

njleach
15th April 2008, 01:42 PM
A search for "price difference" brings up these two threads, probably the most relevant to your situation:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/21/38681-mac-exchange-rate-rip-off-17-overpriced-australia.html
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/45395-price-usa-awesome-if-you-want-iphone-get-them.html

Quite a few folks have used PriceUSA and had good things to say, so that's one way for you to get that Amazon pricing.

PriceUSA looks like the way to go - cheers!

markh - thanks for your contribution mate - you've added a lot to the discussion

markh
15th April 2008, 01:44 PM
PriceUSA looks like the way to go - cheers!

markh - thanks for your contribution mate - you've added a lot to the discussion

Just sick of people whining about the price difference of stuff between here an the US. And yes, I do pay for .Mac yearly at the price of $140aus.. *shrug*

mechcon
15th April 2008, 01:45 PM
I was thinking of getting it for hosting my music project (thinking of leaving my label). So yeah.. if it's cheaper/as easy to use another (reliable) hosting service then maybe yeah, sure thing, I'll use that.. but if .mac is cheaper.. then again no problem either :P

rickyd
15th April 2008, 02:06 PM
At just under 40c a day, I think it's great value. Hassle free management with syncing and the email is brilliant.

Buy it. :)

mechcon
15th April 2008, 02:25 PM
Dang I spent $40 or so for two licenses of BusySync (lets me sync my ical to gcal and read/write as well). I'll have to think this through, as $150 a year is a bit of a pocket-burner).

njleach
15th April 2008, 02:32 PM

I just bought the 5x licenses through PriceUSA using the amazon discount link and it came to a total (delivered including tax etc...) of AU$160!

Thanks for everyone's input - i just saved myself $90 !