PDA

View Full Version : What hard drive for B&W G3?

zeddie2001
27th March 2005, 10:01 PM
I was planning on adding another hard drive to my B&W G3. I was wondering what sort of hard drive to buy? I read somewhere that the B&W only has one ATA port, but I know that there are spaces for two Hard Drives. Do I need IDE or SCSI or what? I'm so confused!

Will I be able to walk into any PC shop and buy the HD I need? I need it pretty soon and aren't very keen on ordering over the internet. Do Apple Resellers normally have internal hard drives?

Thanks for your thoughts

Phillip
27th March 2005, 10:15 PM
Any ATA IDE hard drives would work. And yes, you can put the hard drives that you can get a PC stores. Its cheaper that way too ;)

Fear
27th March 2005, 11:10 PM
a 40 pin ide hard drive will be fine in a blue and white, you might have some issues if you have a revision 1 logic board tho, diffrences with revision 1 and 2 logic boards is the cmd ide chip next to the 4th 64bit pci slot.

PCI646U2 = Revision 1.
PCI646U2-402 = Revision 2.

If you have a revision 2 board sould be sweet with any drive if you have revision 1 might run into some trouble, check out the data base at xlr8yourmac.
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

zeddie2001
28th March 2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all your help. Am desperately running out of space on the 12gig and plan to buy another HD from the local PC store today.

Currawong
28th March 2005, 10:27 AM
The only limitation is that the HD can't be larger than 140Gb due to limitations in the ATA bus of the machine.

LCGuy
28th March 2005, 08:29 PM
Actually, Curra, the limit is 136GB. However, there's no such thing as a 136GB HD, so the largest drive you can really put in is a 120.

For the record, when you go get the HD, get a Seagate, they're the best brand IMHO. :)

Byrd
29th March 2005, 01:02 PM
Keep in mind the B&W IDE bus is ATA33 - in theory 33MB/sec - so I wouldn't go out and get the fastest drive you can, get a tradeoff of a slightly slower drive with a larger capacity perhaps. The ATA33 will at times be a bottleneck for fast drives.

And yeah I like Seagate too - they keep going, are near silent and their RMA process is relatively pain free if the drive ever does die (had an 80GB PATA do that a while back)

JB