PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive - Disappeared?

Gazoo
14th April 2008, 06:58 PM
I am a switcher of 3 months and have an iMac 24" intel chip system running OS 10.5.2 - my problem is;

I have taken a fairly new external 500mb Seagate back up drive which I removed from my old WINXP system and set up on my Mac to back up with Time Machine. The drive has been set up and formatted under my Leopard OS and appears to be functioning. (every so-often I can hear it ticking and spinning while my T-Machine icon is whirling around on the top finder bar)

Long-story-short?
I would like to partition the drive to use for other purposes but I can't see it in the finder anymore. It seems to have vanished yet I know it's there and working.

Can someone explain to me how to get this device to be recognised in Finder so I can gain access to it?

Excuse my ignorance but I'm still learning Leopard.
Thanks in advance.
G.

Meh 626
14th April 2008, 07:00 PM
Go to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Open that and see if you can find it listed there.

Hope it Helps

Gazoo
14th April 2008, 07:04 PM
Yep Meh - thx for quick reply - I can see it there

Meh 626
14th April 2008, 07:06 PM
Ok now click on the drive, when the information appears find the button "Mount" click that. Now see if you can find it in the Finder.

Hope that makes sense!

Gazoo
14th April 2008, 07:09 PM
clicked on the drive but "mount" is grayed out - also, the external drive icon is an "orange" colour and all the other drive devices listed including the main drive and my usb thumb drive are silver in colour (if that means anything)

Meh 626
14th April 2008, 07:11 PM
You need to click on the partition of the disk (like Meh's Drive), should be under the disk it self.

Gazoo
14th April 2008, 07:17 PM
under the external drive icon there's another green-ish icon that says "time machine backups". Is that what u mean? to click that?

If I click on that (Time Machine Backups) I get the "unmount" option made available.

Gazoo
14th April 2008, 07:49 PM
..... ummmm (tic-tic-tic)

HDK
14th April 2008, 08:16 PM
Go to Finder-Preferences-General and make sure External disks is selected.

Meh 626
14th April 2008, 08:28 PM
under the external drive icon there's another green-ish icon that says "time machine backups". Is that what u mean? to click that?

If I click on that (Time Machine Backups) I get the "unmount" option made available.

Ok then you should be able to find the drive in Finder.

Sorry I was watching Mythbusters!

Gazoo
14th April 2008, 09:30 PM
Go to Finder-Preferences-General and make sure External disks is selected.

Have done this and is is "selected" but the drive itself doesn;t appear in Finder - it only shows the primary Macintosh Drive, my usb stick & Time Machine BackUps.

I guess I am to assume that Time Machine Backups in the list is equal to my Seagate External Drive?

Meh 626
15th April 2008, 06:29 PM
I guess I am to assume that Time Machine Backups in the list is equal to my Seagate External Drive?

Yes, that should be correct!

figments
1st February 2010, 01:39 AM
Can I resurrect this? I'm having this exact same problem and this is the only instance ive found of this happening after extensive searching.

The drive was showing fine until I set it for time machine backups. Now, instead of 'seagate drive' showing in the sidebar, I have 'time machine backups'. Disk utility shows the drive, but clicking on it does not enable the 'mount option'. Clicking on the info beneath the drive 'time machine backups' gives me the 'unmount' option. Sorry to be repetitive, it is the exact issue described above. I'm just not sure if it was satisfactorily resolved....it seems odd to make the assumption that the drive has now been renamed 'time machine backups', when I want to use it for other purposes also.

Thanks.

dracomjb
1st February 2010, 03:02 PM
Time Machine will use the whole partition. If you have 1 partition configured on your external disk then that will become the Time Machine disk. If you want to use some of your disk for Time Machine and some for some other purpose you will need to re-partition it, which will usually destroy the current data on the disk.