PDA

View Full Version : MBP and HP scanning problem

ath
13th April 2008, 01:31 PM
Hi there,

I have a HP OfficeJet Pro L7580 printer, and it's connected to my router to share it through my network.

In the network is a PC running Vista, and eMac, and my MBP. Printing via network works fine for all three, but when it comes o scanning, the Printer doesn't see the MBP as part of the network, and can't scan images to it.

I can scan images to the other comps, and then re-send it to the laptop, but I want a better solution, and after 3 hours with HP tech support, we came up with nothing. (We even went to the extent of uninstalling the HP software, running disk repair utility, and re-installing).

Anyone else had a similar issue that can share their insight and found a work-around?

Thanks

Currawong
13th April 2008, 01:54 PM
Is the firewall in the MBP switched on or off? What version of Mac OS X are the eMac and MBP running?

ath
14th April 2008, 09:14 PM
Hi,

eMac is running Tiger 10.4.11 and thw MBP is running Leopard 10.5.2

Firewall: Allow all incoming connections

All the drivers for the HP have been downloaded, and I even got HP to send me the Leopard install disk as the one that came with the printer was for 10.4 and under only.

snark
15th April 2008, 01:06 PM
I tend to agree with Currawong - it does sound like a firewall issue. I wonder if you need to enable something specific on the MBP so that it shows up on the network.

Alternatively, can you initiate the scan from the MBP rather than from the scanner? I'm not familiar with the HP software, but with my Canon, you can press a button on the multi-function OR you can launch some software from the computer and do a 'scan now'.