PDA

View Full Version : What's a decent Wi-Fi SIP phone?

toholio
13th April 2008, 11:08 AM
So I'm sick of paying line rental for a land line that never gets used. I'm on cable internet so I don't need the line for ADSL. In a nutshell, I'm ditching my landline and getting VOIP.

I've signed up for PennyTel and have installed Freeswitch on my MythTV box so I'm all good to go. But now I'm stuck on what SIP phones to get.

Now for the requirements that make this tricky for me:

The phones must use Wi-Fi (but may be normal desk phones, i.e. the handsets can be tethered to their bases).
The phones must act like normal phones. Softphones are right out as are any that require a computer to be on.
Can't cost billions of dollars. I know there's a premium for Wi-Fi, and I'm willing to pay it, but I don't need a full blown Wndows Mobile based minature media centers.
Must be available. None of this "You might be able to find xyz by digging through every single bargain bin in Melbourne" business.
A decent wireless ATA might do the trick.
Cordless phones and wired ATAs at the access point wont work. The AP is mounted on the wall directly above a 400 litre fish tank.

For my own needs an iPhone would be nice but for the other extensions "normal" hardware landlines will be needed.

So what do people suggest? Has anyone used a Wi-Fi SIP phone that they would recommend?

mac_man_luke
13th April 2008, 11:23 AM
Id look at the Linksys SPA942 with the wifi addon (Linksys WBP54G)

best place to buy is oztechnologies.com, they are cheap and provided excellent support

Wally
13th April 2008, 11:32 AM
PSP and Go!Cam?

toholio
13th April 2008, 06:24 PM
Id look at the Linksys SPA942 with the wifi addon (Linksys WBP54G)

Ah, perfect! Just the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks.

PSP and Go!Cam?

An interesting idea but too expensive for what I'm looking for.

jrad
13th April 2008, 06:49 PM
Slightly off topic, but is it a good idea to post your co-ordinates online under your "Location"?

toholio
13th April 2008, 07:06 PM
Slightly off topic, but is it a good idea to post your co-ordinates online under your "Location"?

Depends on how accurate they are. :p

Seriously though, they shift around a bit (though I haven't changed them recently). I guarantee that if you go to the house nearest to the co-ordinates and knock on the door it wont be me that answers...