PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Internet for Powerbook?

Talez
27th March 2005, 10:53 AM
I get my 15" Powerbook on Tuesday and I'm starting to look at internet for it while I'm on the road.

I've been thinking about getting a cheap prepaid or buying a T630 outright and going on the Power User data bundle from Vodafone and then using the T630 as a Bluetooth modem.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with doing this sort of thing?

arty
27th March 2005, 10:58 AM
I got the $49(?) data bundle from Voda. Use it via bluetooth with my PowerBook when I'm out & about/interstate.

Remembering that speed is basically equiv to dial-up, it works fine. Very easy to set up.

See this thread (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=29) for more info.

zen
27th March 2005, 11:02 AM
It's a very expensive mobile internet solution $49.95 for dial up equivelant speed is not exacly a bargain, but it all depends what you need the connection for.

GPRS Class 10 - which is what the vodaphone data plan (and the T630) is capable of, you will be looking at 4kb~6kb realistically.

Where are you located? does the area you frequent have wireless hot spots around that you could access? It might work out the same price, but much faster. And if your residence area is also covered, would be a bonus too.

cemil
27th March 2005, 12:48 PM
I have a Sony Ericsson Z1010 3G phone that I use with three and it works VERY well indeed as a high-speed modem. They rate it at 256+kbps which is probably accurate, and almost too fast considering how much it costs.

Definitely something to look at if you're looking at high speed connectivity from your powerbook.