PDA

View Full Version : Speed up 10.4 on a 450mhz G4?

vosie
12th April 2008, 01:53 PM
Top of the morning to you all!

I'm looking for ways to speed up OS 10.4 on my old G4 450mhz. I originally got it with 10.3 and it was obviously snappier. I've reduced widgets to 3 or 4 and that has made a bit of a difference. I understand there's a way to switch off window drop shadows!? What about spotlight or any other suggestions.

Cheers:)

f1_power
12th April 2008, 01:55 PM
Throw in as much RAM as you can fit into it! :p

edit: Which I believe is 2GB...

jubilantjeremy
12th April 2008, 02:00 PM
yeah but SDRAM is going to be so expensive..

Turn off dashboard and spotlight completely - and don't use firefox 3 :p
(try Camino?)

Huy
12th April 2008, 02:10 PM
System Preferences > Dock > Minimize using Scale Effect.

Does something. Just in case you ever minimize. :)

Turn off Magnification if you have it enabled.

I would stick to Safari on that machine.

vosie
12th April 2008, 02:27 PM
Turn off dashboard and spotlight completely - and don't use firefox 3 :p
(try Camino?)

How do I turn of dashboard and spotlight completely? Just uncheck all the options?

And why is Firefox slower and Safari and Camino 'better'?

Thanks for so far and in advance!

leon
12th April 2008, 03:06 PM
Judging by the specs of the machine in your signature your graphics card should be able to handle the majority of effects that Tiger throws out. RAM and HDD are also more than adequate. Maybe your expectations are too high for what a 450MHz can do.

Next step is an after-market CPU upgrade. Possibly a dual G4 unit.
Processor Upgrades for your Apple PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics "Sawtooth" 450MHz (1999) at OtherWorldComputing.com (http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=165&type=Processor&TI=1220&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades)

You will have to weigh up the cost/benefits of performing such an upgrade.

I run 10.4.11 on a 500MHz G4 cube/1GB RAM/standard crap graphics card, with only iStat as a widget. I have turned off all dock animation and although slow, but machine is fine for Office 2004, Safari 3 and eMail.

jrad
12th April 2008, 05:04 PM
I've used 10.4 on a 600mhz machine - runs great, even on CPU reduced mode. Make sure you have at least 384 megs of ram. To disable dashboard you need to enter two commands into the terminal - very easy to do. Google up for a guide on it. ("Disabling Dashboard")

Byrd
12th April 2008, 10:22 PM
G4 CPU upgrades are fairly cheap, and it seems you've upgraded your Mac to probably the best you can take it except for the CPU itself. At least 1Ghz will make 10.4 behave much more nicely.

JB

Andrew T Chadwick
12th April 2008, 10:53 PM
I have worked on and owned old windows machines where waiting for it to boot up involved making a sandwich and a cup of tea.I find my ibook isn't too bad if i do one or two things at a time but if i ask too much it boggs down.Slow is relitive, be patient.;)

Edge
12th April 2008, 11:02 PM
I can't see your sig, but max out your RAM, make sure you've got a large 7200rpm HD with lots of space free, and for good measure I'd strip the language support from all your apps.

vosie
13th April 2008, 01:21 AM
Thanks all. :thumbup:

Have tried a few and it has helped. The biggest difference seemed to be switching from Firefox to Safari - what's with Firefox?

Later...