PDA

View Full Version : Airport express 802.11N - Can't access internet

Gothikon
12th April 2008, 11:22 AM
Hi

So, I've just coughed up the money to try and sort out my wireless speed and net access for my xbox (why can't it just have built in wireless like the PS3?)

Anyway I now have the following setup.

Netgear DG834G - ethernet - Airport Extreme 802.11N - wireless - Aiport Express 802.11N - ethernet Xbox 360

I use the automatic configuration for everything and the following things are working
Anything connecting to the Airport Extreme can access the local network and the internet via 802.11N
Anything connected to the G network coming from the netgear can access anything on the local network or internet
Anything on the local network can stream audio through the airport express

And here is the problem, anything connected to the network via the airport express can access the local network but not the internet. Connections just time out.

When I connected the Xbox 360 to the ethernet on the aiport express it got an IP address and made it's way through the first half of the built in test but failed at the MTU test.

It seems a lot of other people are having similar problems but I haven't found any solutions so far. Apparently you can change the MTU setting on the airport express via the terminal but I haven't found much information about this.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions, I can always take it back to the shop and get another one but I'm not convinced that'll solve the problem.

jrad
12th April 2008, 11:50 AM
You'll need to put your modem into bridge mode. It has already been mentioned in the forum how to do it, a quick search should do the trick. Then it allows the airport to log into the internet with your logon details using the modem.

Gothikon
12th April 2008, 12:11 PM
Sorry, do you mean my modem or the airport extreme?

Like I said I have internet access if I turn off the airport express and connect to the airport extreme via wireless, it's only when i connect to the airport express which is extending the network on the airport extreme that I have a problem.

Gothikon
12th April 2008, 06:21 PM
Ok, I've done a bit more digging around and think I understand what you mean now. I still have a couple of questions though.

If I make my netgear modem router act as a modem only, does that mean I'll have to do all the port forwarding I currently have setup on the Airport Extreme instead?

Is there a reason why I can't just have both the Airport Extreme bridging off the Netgear and the Airport Express bridging off the Airport Extreme?

Also, now that I think about it I still want to use my Netgear to create an 802.11g network for things like my iPhone and PS3 so they don't slow down the 802.11n network running of the Airport Extreme.