PDA

View Full Version : Ableton Live 4

the_OM
27th March 2005, 09:42 AM
I've had this app lying around for a while (a friend bought it and brought it around for me to try) but never really got into it because I just stuck with Logic and couldn't be bothered learning it, but then I started hearing greats things on the net, so for about the past 3 weeks I've used Live and nothing else...... and damn it's awesome. This is seriously one hot app that I'm definately buying a license for (shock horror!).

I seriously thought given its size and simplicity that it'd be fairly basic and not able to do much. But my god, how good is it?. It can use rewire (like say for reason or logic), use any loops, vst's, au's, instruments and the layout is just incredibly simple. Anyone whose into music should seriously check this out.

Anyone else here use Live? and for what?
And any little hints or tips that you might want to share for it?

napes
27th March 2005, 08:43 PM
Future Music magazine has been raving on about it loads in their recent issues. I'm living in CubaseSX land at the moment though, and since I know how it works... ain't movin' ;) I used Logic for a while before that, but know guys who have made the switch to Live (especially those who are into Reason) and they're loving it.

the_OM
27th March 2005, 09:38 PM
Yeah, i heard some good things about the features in version 3, but apparently the stability wasn't there and it was a big drain on the CPU, so version 4 added some new things, but focused on usability a lot more.

But like your friends, one of mine just raved on and on about it so I eventually gave into him and gave it go..... and I can tell already that its well worth it. The learning curve isn't too bad, and Ableton's website have some great public forums for users to post on, so I'm constantly picking up tips. And I'm seeing more and more threads on audio sites about Live too.
I seriously haven't been this excited about a piece of audio software since I first saw a reason rack.

ajs
29th March 2005, 01:27 PM
I used to use MOTU Performer in the 90s and then I stopped using my computer for about 7 years or so.

Around Nov 2000 (iirc), I finally bought myself a new TiPB 550 running OS X. I did not want to use any legacy software so I made a clean break and decided to wait for MOTU to release an OS X version of dp. They did and it had some teething problems, which is understandable. (I should note though, by all accounts dp 4.5 is awesome!)

Anyway, while I was waiting for the dust to settle with the dp transition into OS X, I downloaded a demo of Live 4.0 one day (I think b/c they finally added MIDI capabilities) and was so blown away by it, I actually bought a copy instead of dp! I fully understood your comment about not having been so excited by a piece of audio software before. It rekindled in me the desire to get back to making music again ... and consequently to make an "application" switch of sorts.

Here's an earlier rave from NOV 6 2004 I made in the What Are Your Essential Apps thread (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=21&st=45)

Music
Live 4.0 - perhaps the best music program ever. It is a whole new paradigm of thinking about sequencing and arranging. The one window interface is exceptionally well designed and really aids productivity. Also, and most importantly, it is rock-solid!

Their customer support is really good too! Oh, and I think Disko uses it as well. :)

I haven't used it too much of late though. :( I want to buy a MIDI i/f and audio box (probably the MOTU Traveler) so I can start to use my "real" rack gear and play some keyboard lines in there as well. Just relying on the mouse to manipulate loops is OK, but I want to play again. B)

ajs
29th March 2005, 01:47 PM
Bookmark this as well ... OS X Audio - Ableton Live 4 FAQ (http://www.osxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19498)

the_OM
1st May 2005, 04:29 PM
Well I'm reviving this old thread.
yesterday I was introduced first hand to DJing with Live. I've seen some musings on the web about it and just tossed it off as another fad that will be around for a short while before everyone goes back to vinyl again.... well fuck me sideways, this thing is incredible, and makes me never want to touch vinyl again.

Before anyone starts thinking about traktor DJ studio or any other crappy digital DJing app, STOP. This thing is soooooo much better.

Beat matching is a breeze, you can layer tracks in a sinch, add in any loops, beats or sounds you have on your hard drive along with the song your playing at the moment. And you can automate anything too!! The possibilities with this app just seem endless.
This thing is going to re-write how djing is done once all the vinyl purists actually see it in action.

This thing beats down anything I've seen before hands-down.
Now if I could just get my powerbook back from Apple!!

ajs
6th June 2005, 01:07 PM
Hey the_OM ... you do know they announced Live 5.0 recently - coming out soon! :)

xfodder
6th June 2005, 01:57 PM
hey guys id like to join this conversation... the_OM i have live delta (came with my oxygen 8 keyboard) but i cant figure out how to use the bloody app, is there a tutorial somewhere on how to set it up and how to record with it ? coz i tried but couldn't figure it out. it looks pretty good, just don't have any idea how to use it.

the_OM
16th June 2005, 03:52 PM
Yeah I saw the live 5 announcement, some pretty impreeive new features coming out for it.
The new devices/plug-ins sound like they'd be pretty fun to work with, and the search function in the file browser looks so helpful, aswell as being able to unfold live sets now. I'm not so sure about mp3 support though, I can see people being pretty slack and mixing with mp3's, which will just sound awful, but then again if your good enough to mixing on a system that would make it sound bad, then you'd be using aiff or wav filetypes anyways.

xfodder, if you go to ableton.com there are lots of little tutorials there (some you can download also), osxaudio.com has an ableton live forum that has been pretty helpful for me). And the app itself has some lessons you can begin with. Go to the first menu (number one on the left hand side) and there should be some files you can open in the folder browser. Just follow the instructions on the right hand side of the screen.

leharicot
16th June 2005, 04:04 PM
i agree that live is da bomb. i've been using to to put together some live sets. the stuffed toys in my bedroom go crazy. i wind them up to a peak with house and trance. :D

seriously - live is a great program for putting together sets of cleverly mixed. it seems to be what all the great DJs use (when they are not using vinyl of course) but it is easy even for a novice like me to use.

the tutorials and videos available on the net have been invaluable too.

good luck to all live users.

rock on

glenmorrow
16th June 2005, 05:55 PM
Is it compatible with iTunes? Like can you direct it's library to your itunes music library? What can you expect to pay for version 4 or 5?

Glen

the_OM
21st June 2005, 07:02 PM
I just got to play around with the Live 5 Beta last night. I have to say for a beta is pretty hassle free.

There are some awesome new features, I have to say that the beat repeat plug-in and auto-warp are my favs so far (as well as them adding "Open Recent Set" to the file menu).
Auto-warp is pretty incredible, so far its done fairly well in warping my tracks and beat mixing is an absolute breeze on it now because of that, for all the old skool people out there you can still warp your own tracks and make changes to what auto-warp has done to them.
Also the overall interface is much better (like seriously, I didn't think they could make it better either). The browser has been cleaned up a bit, and you can now select vst & au presets from the browser via drop down menu's underneath whatever plug-in you've got.
Also added in has been clip freeze, so you can freeze a clip and free up some cpu space. And because live has the whole real-time launch thing, you can still play around with your clips and song arrangements while clips are frozen.

Simpler and operator have been updated, but I haven't played around them too much.
The search function isn't too crash hot though, they should really try and make use of spotlight for it, as it does take a while for things to appear. But it works, except its about as fast as searching in windows or even panther........ I think Apple have spoiled us with spotlight.
I'll be testing out how good the new mackie control support is tomorrow night, but from all reports its been fairly flawless, so I'm looking forward to mouse and keyboard free control!!

I can't really think of much else on it really, there will be another beta opening up next week i think, so if any Live users (ones with serial numbers) want to try and get it then check the ableton forums for info or sign up for the ableton email and keep an eye out for it.

glen: only version 5 has support for mp3's, and you can browse through your music folder to find what you want. You can buy Live 4 from ableton.com for USD$499 , and you also get a free upgrade to Live 5 when it comes out (I'd say maybe an late July/August release is on the cards.