PDA

View Full Version : Deleting files from a RAM stick issue

ba2991
11th April 2008, 08:25 PM
Hi all - I'm having problems deleting files from my RAM stick with my macOSX.5 - right clic/file/delete and the files appears to be deleted but when I insert my stick into my windows computers (sorry Bill) the files are still on the stick, I have no problem deleting the files with the windows monster... Thanks

Disko
11th April 2008, 08:27 PM
empty the trash after you delete. :)

Brains
11th April 2008, 08:40 PM
ba2991: I hope you are dragging the USB drive to the Trash before removing it. Finder doesn't always act on things immediately, especially file deletes. Dragging to the Trash forces a clean unmount, once the icon vanishes from the desktop it can be removed safely.

ba2991
11th April 2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks Guy's - Brains I did as you said Dragged to trash and the USB icon disappeared immediately I tried to copy more files to my RAM stick but it said there isn't ample room, the file was 125Meg and the RAM disk is 1Gig...

ba2991
11th April 2008, 08:52 PM
Sorry Guy's I did work - Just checked again and there seems to me a delay for some reason....

Brains
11th April 2008, 10:56 PM
Yes, Finder isn't all that fast when dealing with slow media, especially when it is FAT32. It queues actions, too, and seems to only get around to it when it's good & ready.

Patience you must learn, padawan!

ba2991
13th April 2008, 11:25 AM
Hi All - I was wrong the dam files are still their I had to delete them again in the windows computer, I filed the ram stick 1Gb again to full and then dragged the RAM icon on the screen to the trash can and it appeared to be empty I then filled the stick again and received an message saying no room left this was several hours ago I even restarted the computer and logged into a second account and the ram stick still has the files loaded but I can't see any thing - see image below...
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1663/picture2ay8.th.png (http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2ay8.png)

leon
13th April 2008, 11:58 AM
Are you emptying the trash or just ejecting your flash drive? What you need to do is move your files to the trash, then hold the left mouse button on the trash can and choose empty trash from the pop up menu. After this you can then eject your flash drive by dragging it to the trash can which will turn into an eject symbol. Sounds like you are not emptying your trash can but rather deleting your files then ejecting the stick, which of course will not get rid of them.

ba2991
13th April 2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks it is slooowly deleting the files there was 1425 files and after 25 minutes 66% have been deleted - this is slow windows dare I say could do it in about 30 seconds - thanks for you help...

leon
13th April 2008, 01:04 PM
it is slow because FAT32 is not the native file system of OSX. If you want speed then you will have to reformat the stick to HFS+ but then windows won't read the stick. To get around this I keep a stick (4GB) for OSX with HFS+ on it as well as a smaller (256MB) one formatted as FAT32 for when I need to use windows.

ba2991
13th April 2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the advice - whot I don't understand is every time I whot to delete files from the RAM stick I have to loss all the files in the mac HD trash can doesn't seem very particle

euphospug
13th April 2008, 02:12 PM
only put files IN the trash can you WANT to delete.

I know a few PC users who use the trash as a storage place for files they don't want right now...

ba2991
13th April 2008, 04:03 PM
Sorry to go on abut this but I'm getting very confused, are we talking about the mac trash can or the trash can within the ram stick, I can't see the trash can within the mac computer but can see when installed with the windows computer

dinoo
13th April 2008, 04:10 PM
The trash can in your dock.

Aa
13th April 2008, 05:46 PM
i love that comment "windows could do it in about 30 seconds"

What? empty your entire mac trash bin? ...I don't think so.

It's not just the flash drive contents it's emptying ba2991 - it's you entire trash, and it sounds like it might be the first time you've emptied it in a while.

Easiest way to trash something : Right click [ctrl-click] "Move To Trash" (or drag the files to the trash icon in your dock)
Easiest way to empty Trash : Go to Finder then to "Finder" in the menubar and "Empty Trash" (Alternatively right click [ctrl-click] the Dock icon "trash" on the right hand side of your dock and click "Empty Trash")

ba2991
13th April 2008, 06:42 PM
Hello Aa thanks for you comments I have mucked around all day with this deleting business and I can't remember if it was the Ram Disk or the hard drive that took so long - anyway I'm still not much the wiser does it mean that when I need to delete files from my RAM stick I can assume I going to lose all my files in my mac HD trash folder aswell - regards

leon
13th April 2008, 06:48 PM
Yes you will lose all files if you empty the trash. The point of the trash is to prevent you from accidently deleting something. I generally onto trash things that I am certain I want to get rid of. If I don't want to delete something on my Mac HDD, then I just leave it where it is.
Just set up a folder in your dock for files you don't want to deal with and just call it Misc. or something like that. Storing files that you might want later in the trash is a dumb idea. Many people I work with do this and it drives me nuts. You wouldn't store your food left-overs in the bin to eat later, you put them in the fridge.

mattay
1st May 2008, 03:12 PM
I've been quite puzzled by this concept.
It also seems to dependant on which machine you delete the files on. As to what files a removed when you empty the trash. I.E if you delete files on one MAC (and not emptying the trash) and empty the trash on a different MAC will not remove those files that where deleted on the other machine.

I have a 4Gb drive with Finder informs me that I have 1.4Gb free and I have 1.2Gb which leaves 1.2Gb unaccounted for after emptying my trash.
If I use the terminal I can list files that are in the hidden Trash folder but doesn't seem to account for the missing space.

Is there a safe way to ensure that you remove all the files on your USB drive that you sent to the drive. I'd like to recover my 1.2Gb of missing storage.

leon
1st May 2008, 03:30 PM
You need to empty the trash on the machine that you deleted the files from the flash stick on with the flash stick attached.

When you drag files from your flash drive to the trash on the mac, it doesn't move them, but rather flags the file on the flash stick to be deleted. Unless you empty the trash on the mac with the flash drive still attached, they will not be deleted from the flash stick. They will also not be directly accessible on the flash stick either as they "are in the trash".
If you want to access the files on the stick again, you need to restore them from the trash.

mattay
1st May 2008, 03:54 PM
But what If you don't have access to that machine any more.
Surly there is a way to remove them manually. I don't have a problem from the terminal. I'm just not sure of what needs to be removed.

leon
1st May 2008, 04:17 PM
Copy off the stuff that you want, then reformat the entire stick using Disk Utility.