PDA

View Full Version : finally, a way to sync iCal w/ gCal (read/write)

mechcon
10th April 2008, 05:17 PM
BusySync - Sync iCal and Google Calendar - from BusyMac (http://www.busymac.com/)

US$20 but it looks good! just trying it out atm, with my gmail account, and ical. I was able to create entries into ical and gcal too, and vice versa. Looks great!!! to have a two-way read/write/sync business. Unless somebody else has found a cheaper method?

scritch
10th April 2008, 05:36 PM
Nope this is great - I've been using it for a while and Beta testing 2.0 with Google Calendar support. Works better than gCal and Spanning Sync.

Regards,
Shane.

decryption
10th April 2008, 05:39 PM
Nice!
I'll have to look into it. It seems like a good way to make your calendar available publically so people can see what you're upto, without needing .Mac.

mechcon
10th April 2008, 09:58 PM
Giving it a test run, also going to sync it with the ipod touch too if I'm at work. So far so good!

Aa
10th April 2008, 11:08 PM
Nice find :thumbup:

mechcon
10th April 2008, 11:20 PM
BusySync FAQs (http://www.busymac.com/faqs.html) if anyone wants to have a good read into it before jumping for the purchase... I need to suss out the email reminder business, but nevertheless, it lets me sync entries if I was at work, home, where-ever there's internet! and THAT is what I'm happy about.

jubilantjeremy
10th April 2008, 11:57 PM
For anyone with facebook and either google cal or iCal - check out fbcal. Awesome app.

Takes all your friends' birthdays and events you have RSVPd to, and adds them to your calendars. Updates automatically. Good stuff.

Jeremy

macaholic
16th April 2008, 03:02 PM
This just got updated again.
BusySync lets you share iCal calendars on a LAN and sync iCal with Google Calendar.
New version looks real good.

Alec Fraser
16th April 2008, 03:27 PM
Ok, so is there a way to sync outlook with Google Calander??

lukeyd
11th May 2008, 04:01 PM
For anyone with facebook and either google cal or iCal - check out fbcal. Awesome app.

Takes all your friends' birthdays and events you have RSVPd to, and adds them to your calendars. Updates automatically. Good stuff.

Jeremy

FBCal, fantastic! Although it is a little annoying having 'facebook birthdays' and 'ical birthdays' in two separate calendars... do you know if they can be combined?

BTW - I'm using SpanningSync at the moment, and its working great for me so I won't be rocking the boat for a little while...

kristian
11th May 2008, 05:44 PM
I use BusySync as well. I'm uncomfortable with Spanning Sync because:

a) Expensive
b) Data goes through their server

visional_studios
11th May 2008, 06:50 PM
This is freaking awesome, thanks very much mechon! (And busymac.com)

mechcon
11th May 2008, 06:52 PM
two c's.. I have two licenses I'd like to part with (since I now use .Mac) pm me if interested.

NeoRicen
11th May 2008, 07:01 PM
I used the 15 day Spanning Sync trial and I thought it was great, it's time for me to buy it so it keeps working.
Spanning sync gets me syncing for $25 USD a year, whereas Busy Sync will cost me $40 USD (you need to buy a copy for each computer, not so with Spanning sync. I know Spanning will cost me another $25 in a year, but that doesn't bother me. I know the stuff goes through their servers but that doesn't bother me either, there's no sensitive information in my calender and their justification is fine (can adapt to changes in Google Calender without a client update).

So: $40 for a permanent Busy Sync license, or $25 for a year of Spanning Sync. I'm kind if leaning towards spanning sync. I have no need to share my calender over LAN and Spanning Sync says Contact syncing is coming in a future version, and according to them all future upgrades are free because of the subscription model.

jubilantjeremy
12th May 2008, 01:14 PM
FBCal, fantastic! Although it is a little annoying having 'facebook birthdays' and 'ical birthdays' in two separate calendars... do you know if they can be combined?

BTW - I'm using SpanningSync at the moment, and its working great for me so I won't be rocking the boat for a little while...

Really? I like having them on different calendars - then again all my home/work/uni/tafe stuff is split up on different calendars too..

lukeyd
12th May 2008, 06:29 PM
Really? I like having them on different calendars - then again all my home/work/uni/tafe stuff is split up on different calendars too..

Yeah, I have that as well, except that I have some duplications in the Facebook birthday list and the iCal birthday list. An ability to merge would be good :-)

On another note, I've set up BusySync and couldn't be happier, I think this little app will be getting my hard earned $$