PDA

View Full Version : My OS9 programs will not work with Leopard

greghack
10th April 2008, 02:05 PM
Hi

I have a number of os9 programs that will now run under Leopard

A message comes up saying OS9 programs are no longer supported by Leopard. Further I have Corel Draw 8 which is a OS9 program and I cannot install it for the same reason.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Greg

Imac G4 1.25GHz
2 gig ram

decryption
10th April 2008, 02:07 PM
Classic is no longer supported in Leopard. No more OS 9 apps at all!

cosmichobo
10th April 2008, 02:32 PM
So, even the non-Apple OS 9 emulators wont run under Leopard?

I guess we've had a pretty good run really... I mean, OS 7 killed so many Apps overnight... OS X came out near a decade ago now...

bartron
10th April 2008, 02:38 PM
one can always give sheepshaver a go....but in reality it's probably time to look at what aps you need and update

When Leopard was released, OS 9 was killed for good (even thouh they had the 'funeral' a few years ago)

ClockWork
10th April 2008, 02:59 PM
Or the other option - would be to purchase a second hand iMac G3 / G4, or an eMac G4 700MHz / 800MHz - or any number of older Apple Macs that could run either Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X, either separately, or partitioned, so one could switch back and forth.

Look into second hand Mac dealers - or eBay (FleaBay) - things like this:

eMac G4 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EMAC-G4-700MHZ-640RAM-40GB-OS-10-2-8-OFFICE-X_W0QQitemZ170208925990QQihZ007QQcategoryZ4603QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

or

iMac G4 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Apple-imac-G4-15-800mHz-768MB-SDRAM-60GB-HDD_W0QQitemZ180231718018QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4603QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

or

This kind of thing (http://usedmac.com.au/)... :)

Brains
10th April 2008, 03:43 PM
Most of the 'Classic' emulators are for Intel based Macs, and the ones that will work on your iMac G4 won't let you run OS9.

If you really need your Classic apps, re-install 10.4.

Newer does not always equal better :)

ClockWork
10th April 2008, 03:56 PM

Progress is an illusion...

Wally
10th April 2008, 04:17 PM
There's a PPC version of sheepshaver..

Index of /sheepshaver/files (http://gwenole.beauchesne.free.fr/sheepshaver/files/)

I daresay its the latest, you probably can build it from source anyway.

Wally

bartron
10th April 2008, 04:42 PM
Most of the 'Classic' emulators are for Intel based Macs, and the ones that will work on your iMac G4 won't let you run OS9.

If you really need your Classic apps, re-install 10.4.

what wally said.

I run sheepshaver on my dual G5 with leopard...works a treat :)

Gerbils
11th April 2008, 07:05 AM
I find Sheepshaver very flaky... crashes too much to be useful. This is on an Intel Mac though.

MacDave
11th April 2008, 07:37 AM
greghack -

Steve buried OS 9 6 years ago:

YouTube - Apple WWDC 2002-The Death Of Mac OS 9 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl7xQ8i3fc0)

Downgrading to Tiger just to run Classic would be taking five steps back to move one step forward. As time goes on, more and more applications will be Leopard only.

Buying a used Mac just to run OS 9 on is rather silly. It would probably cost as much as upgrading Corel Draw or using a similar app to do the same thing Draw does.

If you really need to run Corel Draw specifically, perhaps get a cheap PeeCee to do it. After all, Corel programs were originally written for Windows.

Dave

ClockWork
11th April 2008, 07:52 AM
I use both too though - cause I began in the Classic OS period, so I have an eMac 800MHz with a partitioned Hard Drive, one side running Mac OS 9.2.2 and the other running Mac OS Tiger (10.4.11), and I can reboot between the two, or open Classic mode in Tiger.

Because one needs to keep up with the times, I bought a Mac Mini Intel C2D 2.0GHz just to run Leopard in order to understand it.

Gerbils
11th April 2008, 08:03 AM
If you read greg's post properly you'll understand he already has an iMac G4.

ClockWork
11th April 2008, 08:53 AM
Ergo - Greg could partition the HD, and have Mac OS 9.2 on one side and either Tiger with Classic, or Leopard on the other, and thus retain both worlds. :)

bartron
11th April 2008, 09:12 AM
Ergo - Greg could partition the HD, and have Mac OS 9.2 on one side and either Tiger with Classic, or Leopard on the other, and thus retain both worlds. :)

I think only the first g4 imacs could run OS 9 nativly (and then, only 9.2.2). Anything after 2003 and it's OS X only, including all 17" and 20" iMacs.

Gerbils
11th April 2008, 09:33 AM
I think only the first g4 imacs could run OS 9 nativly (and then, only 9.2.2). Anything after 2003 and it's OS X only, including all 17" and 20" iMacs.

Any iMac G4 can run OS 9 under the Classic Environment in 10.4... I think this is what Clockwork means. (Having Tiger/Classic on one partition and Leopard on the other).

ClockWork
11th April 2008, 09:34 AM
Yes - it's tricky - I can't recall.

Maybe a good question is, did Greg ever have pure Mac OS 9 running on his iMac G4 1.25GHz machine, or was it only through Classic on either Jaguar or Panther?

though as he hasn't responded... we may have inadvertently scared him off...

"Will more strangers come, Edward?"

bartron
11th April 2008, 09:51 AM
though as he hasn't responded... we may have inadvertently scared him off...

"Will more strangers come, Edward?"

qju9Edkm0qE

JimWOz
11th April 2008, 09:56 AM
As Clockwork says, partition the HD and put Leopard on one Partition and Tiger with classic support on another, -plus any other data or application partitions you might want (or not).
The iMac G4 1.25G's came with HD capacities between 80G & 160G, depending on the configuration - according to the MacTracker database. So perhaps an upgrade to a bigger faster 7200RPM IDE interface disk with partitioning is the answer.

If you keep all your files in the User directory then there will be problems using a 2 x OSX install like this, due to permissions. A work around would be to use a separate data partition for some directories, accessed by both the OS installs.

Rebooting into the Tiger OS to use your old classic apps extends their longevity, and ultimately, keep the iMac just to run the classic apps if they are still required. There will be many PPC machines being kept for this purpose for a while yet I suspect.

~Coxy
11th April 2008, 12:52 PM
Yes - it's tricky - I can't recall.

Maybe a good question is, did Greg ever have pure Mac OS 9 running on his iMac G4 1.25GHz machine, or was it only through Classic on either Jaguar or Panther?

I don't think then 1.25s can boot into OS 9, they were too new. My older 700MHz G4 15" one could, though.

JimWOz
11th April 2008, 01:15 PM
I don't think then 1.25s can boot into OS 9, they were too new. My older 700MHz G4 15" one could, though.

Yes, MacTracker says these machines came out in September 2003.
Our PB G4 12" 867MHz machine which is February 2003 vintage came with Jaguar on board, and will not boot straight into OS9. So I think you're correct Coxy, classic support under OSX 10.2-10.4 only.

Brains
11th April 2008, 04:52 PM
No, they can't boot into OS9, but for the occasional app for which there is no comparable equivalent on any other OS (such as Claris CAD, still popular with engineers for its speed and simplicity) then Classic can be essential.

andrewhollo
11th April 2008, 05:01 PM
I have Corel Draw 8 which is a OS9 program and I cannot install it for the same reason.

Am I an anti-luddite if I ask, "Why are you running such old software? Surely there's something more recent that'll do the job?"

Cheers and good luck from an ex-CorelDraw user,

Andrew

~Coxy
11th April 2008, 05:27 PM
I think Deneba Canvas is the new CorelDraw. :(
Lots of old hands who've been using it since version 3 or so who won't ever get a UB patch, 10.5 compatibility, or even a new Mac version at all.

detail
11th April 2008, 05:33 PM
I find Sheepshaver very flaky... crashes too much to be useful.

That's just to take you back to the real OS9 experience.

As I recall I used to have to do a restart about 5 times a day.

You got pretty adept at saving after every keystroke.

JimWOz
11th April 2008, 06:09 PM
I think Deneba Canvas is the new CorelDraw. :(
Lots of old hands who've been using it since version 3 or so who won't ever get a UB patch, 10.5 compatibility, or even a new Mac version at all.

Yep, that's us, no Canvas UB, it's been official on the ACD web site for ages. :mad:
It's Adobe or something ???? for us in the near future. :confused:

ClockWork
12th April 2008, 02:34 AM
That's just to take you back to the real OS9 experience.

As I recall I used to have to do a restart about 5 times a day.

You got pretty adept at saving after every keystroke.

ahhhh - that's a load o' horse shit :p

A vast exaggeration. I still use Mac OS 9.2 for a variety of tasks that OS X just can't cut, and I have never experienced these 5 restarts a day, you speak of, though there are as many reasons why Mac OS 9 would crash, as there are for why Mac OS X gets hit with the Kernel Panic.

(One of the most common for OS 9 was ... not enough RAM).

Blue Water Boy
12th April 2008, 07:36 AM
ah...did u truy running a d.u.h?

ClockWork
12th April 2008, 08:01 AM
ah...did u truy running a d.u.h?

Only if you can try spelling.

What's a D.U.H ?

stefanlod
12th April 2008, 09:28 AM
I miss the simplicity of OS 9 - I hope OS 11 (this time made from scratch) will have the sophistication of OS X, but at the same time the simplicity of OS 9. I want to be able to drop a font file into my System Folder and have it installed, and navigate easily to the no-brainer location of it and remove it again.

detail
12th April 2008, 09:35 AM
A vast exaggeration.[/i]

Yeah. It was 5 times a week I guess.

Ram was maxed out. I think it was because of dialup internet. Or too many programs running.

Still, the same G4 sawtooth computer with the same ram is still running 9 years later and has never crashed subsequently on OSX.

OS9 under a heavy workload crashed for me more times than I felt it should.