PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling OS9

shelly79
10th April 2008, 10:53 AM
I have a G4 iBook and when I first got it I used few programs that ran on OS9. I don't use these anymore and am desperately running out of room so want to free up the space by deleting all the OS9 stuff. How do I safely un-install it (and everything associated).
Thanks

mctext
10th April 2008, 10:59 AM
Shelly,

You should have two folders at root: Applications (OS 9) and System Folder (with a large "9" on the folder icon).
Trash them both (maybe after backing up to an external drive just in case you ever want them back).
Don't trash the folder just called "System".
This is the OS X system and has a large "X" on the folder icon.

mct
[Just looked at mine: total size of the folders is 873mb. Not a hell of a lot.]

shelly79
10th April 2008, 11:11 AM
I need as much space as I can find : )
It won't let me trash the "system" folder though. Message reads "System folder is required by System"

kim jong il
10th April 2008, 11:43 AM
I need as much space as I can find : )
It won't let me trash the "system" folder though. Message reads "System folder is required by System"

mctext told you to trash the "System Folder" (OS 9) not the "System" folder (which is OS X). :p

As for the space? Mine, everything OS 9 related, takes up less than 450MB and if you are struggling so badly for storage space that this will be a useful amount you probably need to seriously look at/for another solution.

shelly79
10th April 2008, 01:34 PM
That is the folder I was trying to trash. System Folder 9 not 10. It won't trash!

ClockWork
10th April 2008, 01:58 PM
If you really want to trash System Folder, first, make sure it isn't activate in your OS X System Preferences - it won't let it go, if it's being used:

Click on Apple menu item -> scroll down to: System Preferences... and click once on item named: Classic and click: Stop.

Then double-click your Macintosh HD, double-click the System Folder and then drag the item called: Finder out of it and Trash that. You should then be able to Trash the whole OS 9 System Folder.

But as the others have said, if you're scratching for space that's around the size of a CD, it's not enough to make room. It really isn't. An Apple Mac running OS X can become critically low, if it has only 4GBs (4,000 Megabytes) of space left.

Considered an External Drive (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/41005-external-drives-dummies.html) ?

kim jong il
10th April 2008, 02:06 PM
Apologies; it does, in fact, say exactly what you said. :( While I can think of multiple ways around this issue, they are all pretty crude (and I'm on someone else's Mac so testing destructive methods just isn't possible). Sorry.

shelly79
10th April 2008, 02:11 PM
I have an external drive that I back-up to and will remove some more folders and files when I get home, the problem is that I don't have enough space to what I need to right now. So yep, a cd's worth will help now :rolleyes:

shelly79
10th April 2008, 02:14 PM
Clockwork. It says that Classic is not running so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

ClockWork
10th April 2008, 02:19 PM
Can you turf the Finder out of the System Folder ?

shelly79
10th April 2008, 08:49 PM
Ok, so can delete everything except the actual folder saying System Folder. Makes enough space for now and will back up a few things to make more space later.

shelly79
16th April 2008, 11:15 AM
Ok. So having deleted everything, once I re-started I was able to delete the System folder. Tiny bit more space now (plus I deleted lots of stuff having checked it was definitely backed up).