PDA

View Full Version : Help with Quicken Problem

ClockWork
10th April 2008, 08:23 AM
I don't use Quicken, so I don't know anything about it - but here's the problem:

Like MYOB, I imagine it requests the User to perform Backup Files, yet if information is put into Quicken, it holds it without the need to Save - yes?

For instance, one could fill Mac OS X's Address Book application with thousands of names, addresses, phone numbers, emails and notes, and never need Save it, yet one can (and should) Back up the Address Book, which is then saved to one's Documents folder, as an .abbu file.

Thus if something awful happens, (like the HD goes crap), one can just double-click the saved .abbu file on a new HD and the whole Address Book is restored.

Okay - here's the problem:

Someone uses Quicken 2004 to keep records of their accounts... but they never back it up.
Then Mr Miggins comes along and Clean Installs their Apple Mac as an upgrade from Panther to Tiger. Everything onboard the HD is backed up to an External Drive and Tiger is Clean Installed onto the Apple computer.

All software is reinstalled from scratch, and then all the Documents are copied back in, sorted and ordered etc... but when Quicken 2004 is reinstalled, it can't find any records amongst the thousands of former Documents copied back in.

Now - I still have the entire HD on an External Drive.

If the User did not back up their Quicken Records (and I'm only presuming that Quicken works the same way that the OS X Address Book works), is there any way at all to glean that Quicken data from some... Preference file ?

Help...

once again, finds himself as the innocent victim of things he was never told...

Wally
10th April 2008, 08:53 AM
Oh i hate these sort of things CW.. People say oh nah nah no backups needed, i back everything up anyway and they panic and say OMFG my emails..

Get them to give you their quickbooks file name and search for it through spotlight.

jimdrum
10th April 2008, 09:03 AM
I used to use QuickBooks. I can't remember whether it saved it's data automatically, but I think it did. The data was saved by default in my documents folder, in a folder named 'Quicken Backup Folder'. The files are .qdfm files.
I hope this helps, ClockWork.

ClockWork
10th April 2008, 09:10 AM
Get them to give you their quickbooks file name and search for it through spotlight.

So... what is it I'd be searching for...?

and yes - it's a complete bastard, as one doesn't know everything they're running, so in amongst their precious emails, photos, music, word, excel and powerpoint, and iMovie documents, they're running an out-dated version of Quicken, and when you've done your job to your best ability, it is then that they will tell you that Quicken (or whatever the feck it is), was "the" most important files out of all of them...

For the record << no pun intended - the User appears to have created Quicken backups to 2005, and after 2005 - no more - they got slack and when it asked them if they wanted to backup, they selected the No button, thus no physically viewable records exist after the year 2005.

What do I look for again, Wally ?

I know the password to look into any Quicken file up to 2005 - yet how does one look for... things not backed up as files?

Cheers,

cw

AddIt:

I used to use QuickBooks. I can't remember whether it saved it's data automatically, but I think it did. The data was saved by default in my documents folder, in a folder named 'Quicken Backup Folder'. The files are .qdfm files.
I hope this helps, ClockWork.

Yes - I can see this folder... but it only goes to 2005.

ClockWork
11th April 2008, 07:41 AM
Let me put it another way - well - based on the former example:

Let's say a User keeps adding information to Mac OS X's Address Book and they do this for three years, without ever Backing it up.

The info in the Address Book must be hiding somewhere.

Then they want to upgrade to Leopard. I come along and backup every scrap of data to an External Drive, in order to eventually copy the documents, keychains, bookmarks etc etc into the HD running Leopard.

Now... where is the data for the Address Book hidden, if... ("if" being the central word in "life) - IF the User never backed up their OS X Address Book ?

It was always there in some... temporary form of memory - yes? Where? Where does OS X keep the memory of it's Address Book.app, if it's never been backed up ?

gameon
11th April 2008, 08:50 AM
tried ringing quickbooks support?

ClockWork
11th April 2008, 09:06 AM
Can I just... for a moment... slide back to the former Q - as a diversion...

If I never Backup my Mac OS X Address Book app, where does its data exist?

anyone up to take a wild stab in the dark on that one?

Wally
11th April 2008, 09:46 AM
Can I just... for a moment... slide back to the former Q - as a diversion...

If I never Backup my Mac OS X Address Book app, where does its data exist?

anyone up to take a wild stab in the dark on that one?

/username/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

THERE!

Wally

ClockWork
12th April 2008, 02:51 AM
Okay - cool - I see that Wally.

Now... where would one find the equivalent for non-backed-up Quicken 2004 data...?

I've looked through their Application Support folder, yet no leads to Quicken.

Cheers,

cw

happyfrappy
12th April 2008, 06:37 AM
The backup feature of Quicken(Mac & Win) is mainly to create another file to save on another HD/storage device or move it to a 2nd computer. This is what I used to do when moving between a desktop and notebook. Quicken has an auto-save when exiting, 2002 for OS X had a few nasty glitches which carried onto 2003/2004 where if the data file had too many enteries(often banking/credit cards) the data file would be corrupted so users were forced to have seperate Quicken Data files. My parents got hit by that bug :eek:

I've used Quicken from OS 9(1998) to OS X(2002-2005), default settings point to: Username-> Documents-> Quicken Data.qdfm
Now if John/Jane Doe decides to move the document or named it differently when they originally setup Quicken, just look for a filename.qdfm and double click it.

ClockWork
12th April 2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the input Happy - and yes, I've done this. Spotlighted: .qdfm - and yes, there's a whole dang folder of them, just as you say, in Users/Documents/Quicken Backup Folder - 69 .qdfm files but... (there's always a big but) - the records only go to: 1 JULY 2004-JUNE 2005 - and the Modification Dates also show me this.

The User claims they went to: 1 JULY 2007-JUNE 2008 - and that they just appeared when they opened Quicken 2004 before I erased their HD and installed Tiger and all their Applications and Documents, including Quicken 2004.

I have the entire former HD backed up to an External Drive, and, as I've said, have Spotlighted .qdfm files but there aren't any others anywhere on the Volume - only in that Quicken Backup Folder.

The User did not have an External Drive - not even a wee USB Flash Drive - and naturally, had never backed up anything to CD / DVD - even though extensive tutorials were given three years ago.

As for the Quicken Data.qdfm file you speak of, what I see, is this, in Date Modification order:

1215116Quicken Data.qdfm
21Quicken Data.qdfm
11Quicken Data.qdfm
2Quicken Data.qdfm
11Copy of Quicken Data.qdfm
4Copy of Quicken Data.qdfm
315116Quicken Data.qdfm

and all of them have Date Modifications of either 2005 or 2004, and there are 38 more of them, all with a random number in front of them and the words: Quicken Data.qdfm - at the end.

So... the problem is... I don't know what I should be looking for. All I know is that whatever is in it shows the dates of 2007 and 2008.

What shits me is that the User has no evidence that such files even existed. I only have their sworn word that the last time they opened Quicken 2004, it contained their accounts for 2007 - 2008.

happyfrappy
12th April 2008, 03:22 PM
After some research, I think you'll find this interesting to why there is so many backups...
Looks like the owner had been running Quicken 2004 with the R2 update, here is a snip of one known issue:
"Old Quicken Data: If you are running the R2 version of Quicken 2004, you may notice that a backup of your data file is created in the folder /username/Documents/Quicken Backup Folder/Old Quicken Data each time you launch Quicken, regardless of your backup preferences. This issue has been resolved. You may want to examine this folder and delete some of the excess backup files."
Source: https://quicken.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/quicken.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3800&p_created=1130869700&p_sid=ywNgA**i

All I can think of is if you can't find a last modified on 2008, tell the user "you must of entered too much data and Quicken began dropping data/failed auto backups". Now if you're into doing your own research with Quicken, I'll give you my unused 2005 CD and you can recreate a corruption example as several save data issues were never corrected if a user used the same data file to store about two or more years of bank+broker transactions. Its amazing a pricey product requires seperating your data files if one account is very 'active' :eek:

IMO, I'd recommend that you tell the owner to avoid the Mac version of Quicken, Intuit left so many unresolved issues on their ports, it isn't worth trusting finanical data on it over long periods of time. Also don't take the blame personally, most banks, credit cards, stock brokers, etc allow customers to grab end of year QIFs and they're easy to import :)

The Drummer
12th April 2008, 05:00 PM
The older quicken files were just a single file with no default extension as far as I can see. Mine were always called by default "Quicken Data" and I believe could be located wherever you want but defaulted to the ~/Documents directory.

None of my older quicken files have ever had a filename extension applied to them. They seem to be identified only by a resource fork.
Creator: INTU
Type: BDAT

As of some later version (probably 2005), the quicken files became packages containing a several settings files and a main file called "Data File".

These still seem to be identified only by the typecreator PkgInfo and not by any extension.

If you can find a way to search by creator/type you might have more luck finding something.