PDA

View Full Version : Colour on the Menu Bar?

Vaempyr
10th April 2008, 07:26 AM
Is there any (simple) way to add colours to the various icons (Apple, AirPort, BT etc) on the menu bar?

My eyesight isn't great, so having colours to distinguish between icons would be helpful ... say blue for BT, green for AirPort etc.

chrsha01
10th April 2008, 05:51 PM
I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

RGSX12
10th April 2008, 05:53 PM
Only thing I can think of is if you find the resources and re-colour them in Photoshop or something similar. You can then replace them.

If you happen to find them, back up the originals first.

Disko
10th April 2008, 06:01 PM
It looks a bit involved, but you can find all the menu bits at:

Macintosh HD > System > Library > Core Services > Menu Extras

You'll need to 'right click' on each package and 'show package contents'. Inside those packages are resource folders full of images that you'd need to edit/re-colour.

snark
10th April 2008, 06:08 PM
Only thing I can think of is if you find the resources and re-colour them in Photoshop or something similar. You can then replace them.

If you happen to find them, back up the originals first.

I'm not saying you should do this, but the resources appear to be pdf files, located under /system/library/coreservices/menuextras. Command - click on the .menu file and choose Show Package Contents. Then under Contents/Resources there are pdf files that look suspiciously like menu bar icons.

[edit: geez I hate it when a mod beats you to a post, especially when it looks like I've just copied & pasted....:p ]

Vaempyr
10th April 2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks all - my Photoshop and similar skills are non-existant, so it looks like black / grey it is.

leon
10th April 2008, 07:06 PM
I'm sure someone on here could do it for you and then email you the files.
Can anyone help?

Currawong
10th April 2008, 07:28 PM
Have you thought of trying some of the Universal Access options in System Preferences? There's a high-contrast option...

Also, you could try ShapeShifter, which allows various custom themes for Mac OS X to be installed. I'm not sure, but there might be one with better contrast, though not colours for menu bar items as they are custom to each whatever that installs them.

RGSX12
11th April 2008, 04:12 PM
Have you thought of trying some of the Universal Access options in System Preferences? There's a high-contrast option...

Also, you could try ShapeShifter, which allows various custom themes for Mac OS X to be installed. I'm not sure, but there might be one with better contrast, though not colours for menu bar items as they are custom to each whatever that installs them.

I'm guessing that he would be running Leopard which doesn't support Shape Shifter at the moment.

Vaempyr
12th April 2008, 09:26 AM
I'm guessing that he would be running Leopard which doesn't support Shape Shifter at the moment.
Yup.

Being such a new Mac user, I'm reluctant to play around with replacing key files, so I think I'll just wait for ShapeShifter to support Leopard, and do it the "proper" way.