PDA

View Full Version : Elgato EyeTV or pinnacle tuner

Huckle
9th April 2008, 10:42 PM
Hello all i know this must have been on the form beofe but through forum search i cant find the answer i want/need

about to order my new imac, and want a digi tuner, should i order the tuner through the apple web site with my mac (the Elgato EyeTV ) for 149 bucks or go to a ac reseeler and buy a pinnacle for 100 bucks.

I like the idea of the Elgato EyeTV as you can use you imac remote to control it, but have heard it isnt as good as the pinnacle

cheers

jppat
9th April 2008, 10:44 PM
I have been using the EyeTV for over a year now and have never had a problem with it.

Does the other one come with the EyeTV software or use its own? I think the software is a major selling point for the EyeTV.

nighteyes
9th April 2008, 10:50 PM
My pinnacle tuner seems to work better (with reception and channel changing speed) but i use the software EyeTV thatcame with the Elgato stick. Not sure which works out as better value for you...

leon
9th April 2008, 10:51 PM
I only buy elgato branded gear. Never had any problems with their units. Been rock solid. Never had any experience with pinnacle. As elgato make the software I feel like maybe they test it out on their own hardware more than some of the third party people who license the software.

Huckle
9th April 2008, 10:51 PM
its this one if that helps

The Apple Store (Australia) - Elgato EyeTV for DTT Stick (http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=NTQ0Njk&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/video_devices&nplm=TJ827ZM/A)

dev_enter
9th April 2008, 10:53 PM
I have the Pinnacle Hybrid tuner and it came with a lite version of the EyeTV software. The Apple remote works with that as well.
You can always purchase the full EyeTV software to go with a Pinnacle tuner too.

Erwin
10th April 2008, 12:57 PM
Using the Pinnacle right now - comes with remote control and EyeTV Lite - works well for me with no problems.

sammyo91
13th April 2008, 07:25 PM
EyeTV definitely the best in my opinion, never had a problem with it, and it comes with the free software aswell

tcn33
13th April 2008, 07:33 PM
There are reviews of the Pinnacle Hybrid (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/35005-pinnacle-tv-mac-hybrid-stick-review.html) and the Elgato Diversity (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/25496-elgato-eyetv-diversity-icetv-pimp-review.html) right here on MacTalk.

chrsha01
13th April 2008, 07:52 PM
I also wanted to buy a digital tuner as well, out of the Elgato EyeTV or Pinnacle tuner. I decided to get the Elgato EyeTV as I thought it would perform better than the Pinnacle, and for about 40-50 dollars more, why not, in my opinion get the Elgato (the better one out of the two). To my expectation, it is great, reception quality is fantastic and overall a great purchase.

If you decided to buy the Pinnacle tuner instead of the Elgato one, it does still come with EyeTV software like the software supplied with the Elgato stick about its just a 'cut-down' version of it. (EyeTV Lite)

Hope this helps.

Huckle
13th April 2008, 08:37 PM
cheers for the help
went for the elgato eyetv as i could order it with my mac, will let you know who it goes

marc
13th April 2008, 09:00 PM
Both the Pinnacle and the Elgato tuners are great. The most important thing is that you end up with the full EyeTV software. The Pinnacle tuners come with the EyeTV Lite software, so make sure you factor in upgrading the software (I think it's about $50).

Based on that, the Elgato tuner is probably the best option.

The Pinnacle tuners do have great reception though. I'm currently using 1 Pinnacle DTT tuner and one Miglia DTT tuner.

dev_enter
13th April 2008, 09:04 PM
I haven't yet had any compelling reason to upgrade from the EyeTV Lite software.