PDA

View Full Version : iChat always showing network timeouts???

chrsha01
9th April 2008, 02:29 PM
Why is my iChat app always showing network timeouts, and therefore can't connect at all. Help???

rickyd
9th April 2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, my friend has trouble with this too. He just switched to TPG.

titan44
9th April 2008, 02:33 PM
As much as i love ichat, it's a temperamental beast - try skype, video quality is not as good, lacks the cool features of ichat, but it's a lot more reliable.

WonderBoy
9th April 2008, 03:34 PM
chrsha01 - Are you talking about video chats? If so, I've never been able to get this working, receiving the same error as you. It's the same result both at home and at work which I know use two completely different ISPs.

And yes, Skype works for me in both locations. So what's wrong with iChat?

chrsha01
9th April 2008, 03:46 PM
standard messaging is having network timeouts that are not allowing me to connect.

El Guardo
9th April 2008, 03:56 PM
Maybe if you actually provided us with a bit of information we'd be able to help. As noted, iChat can be temperamental, and there are hundreds if not thousands of reasons why it won't work properly.

chrsha01
9th April 2008, 04:00 PM
I can't say it any simpler, I open iChat and when I do it says to me 'network timeout'. After numerous attempts it is still giving me the same result of 'network timeout'. At the moment all I want to use iChat for is for standard text messaging. Is it more clearer for you?

El Guardo
9th April 2008, 05:34 PM
Is it more clearer for you?

If someone's willing to help you, best not given them shit in the process.

You could have provided us with details of your ISP, what plan your on, what brand and model number router/modem you use, what the configuration of said item is in terms of firewall settings, what operating system version your running, whether you've got the inbuilt OS firewall turned on, what iChat's connection doctor says with regards to the error log and so on. All these things are relevant and would help us to pinpoint a problem.

chrsha01
9th April 2008, 05:45 PM
Problem Solved. Thanks for your help.

jrad
9th April 2008, 08:22 PM
Would you like to tell us how you fixed your problem? Please give this thread some closure!

I've never had a problem with iChat except for at work sometimes with video chats. Other than that it runs really well, and video chats look great - I love the iChat theatre!

chrsha01
9th April 2008, 08:37 PM
I reconfigured my account settings and after a few changes it allowed me to connect without any timeout what so ever. Other than this hiccup, iChat is a great application and I will continue to use it.