PDA

View Full Version : help me with 10.4 startup issue

Scratch
9th April 2008, 01:22 PM
Gday everyone,

I have someones mac infront of me, and to be honest, i know nothing about Macs, but i need HELP!

I can see by going to "about this mac" that it is OSX 10.4.11,

The issue i am having is, whenever it starts up, it says "Could not start Norton Antivirus, please reinstall"

Now the thing is, norton isnt even on this machine, ive looked in applications, system library everywhere and it cant be found..

I have looked in system prefs, accounts, startup and nothings ticked in there...

Where to next anyone?

Many thanks

stewiesno1
9th April 2008, 01:30 PM
Norton AV puts its crap all over a computer so it may have hidden files in the system. I'd zap the pram and repair permissions for a start and if that fails back up all the relevant data , wipe the HD and reinstall Tiger. There is no need at present to run an anti-virus application for mac OSX. Norton AV causes more problems than it fixes. Two good utilities to have in your armoury for OSX are TechToolPro and Discwarrior.

Stewie

Edit OK , zapping the PRAM :
Hit restart up under the Apple icon in your main menu and when it boots up hold down the Command ( Apple ) key + Option + P + R keys together and hold down until you hear three chimes then let the keys go.
Repair permissions :
Go to the HD -> Applications -> Utilities and fire up Disk Utility.
Run " Repair Permissions "

morgan
9th April 2008, 01:35 PM
Try looking at startup items in the 'Accounts' control panel and deleting any reference to Norton, it probably has an hidden startup application.

Failing that if you can find a demo of Norton AV, install it then use the uninstaller that might do the trick. Wiping and reinstalling seems pretty drastic.

JimWOz
9th April 2008, 03:00 PM
Try looking at startup items in the 'Accounts' control panel and deleting any reference to Norton, it probably has an hidden startup application.

No, Norton doesn't have a login item, but it does have kernel extensions.
There is a broken/incomplete or incompatible Norton installation present. Norton Version 10 or 11 is needed in Tiger.

Do a safe boot first, starting up with the Shift Key held down. This will boot the machine without any kernel extensions loaded. If I'm right the dialog will not appear now.

Try looking in the System/Library/Extensions folder for kernel Extensions beginning with SYM...
Do a Get info on them and check they are Symantec items. Move them out of the Extensions folder and restart normally. - to see if the problem has gone.

There may be other traces of Norton left, but nothing that will run at startup and give you this grief.