PDA

View Full Version : I bought a dud iMac (new)

Fitzy
9th April 2008, 11:11 AM
This is what I said on 30/3--
"If the Logic Board is going to shat itself again,I hope it's within the next three years".
it lasted two days and the logic board shat itself again.
I got it back today and now the sound card does not work.
Techs said definitely a hardware problem.
It makes a clicking sound and only on the right channel.
That's now two logic board replacements,
One HDD,
Sound card currently stuffed and cd's and dvd's I need a cloth to hold them when ejecting so that I don't drop them from the heat.
Purchase date 8/2-today 9/4,that's eight weeks old yesterday and almost 50% of it's short life spent in the workshop.
My PC was better quality than this iMac.
Should Apple replace it with new?
Fitzy

tcn33
9th April 2008, 11:17 AM
Uh, yeah they should. Will they? That's a different question.

stewiesno1
9th April 2008, 11:21 AM
Find some of the other problem threads with new Macs that don't work from day one and follow their advice . Keep a record of all communications (faxes , phone messages etc time ,date etc )with the seller and repair place. Be polite but firm with all your correspondence and lastly I'd be looking at a new Mac by getting in touch with Apple directly.

Stewie

Kuma
9th April 2008, 11:34 AM
are you dealing with apple directly...

I would be interested in how this pans out... I had similar issues with my approaching end of 3 year warranty Powerbook... 1 month after warranty had expired they replaced it with new MBP.

I never got mad.. or asked for a new one.. I just continued making notes about its issues....

Fitzy
9th April 2008, 11:37 AM
I have been in touch with Apple direct.
They seem to want it to have a few more problems before replacing it.
Next Byte said the L/boards cost $1,300 each and an hdd at least $500.
That means they have spent over $3,000 on repairs and it only cost me $3,500.
Not much profit for Apple on this one.
Also not much fun for me having it away for half the time since new.
Evidently today,Apple engineers are talking to Next Byte techs to see if they can fix the problem by phone-yep,that's right,by phone.
Seems pretty desperate to me.
Fitzy

Fitzy
9th April 2008, 02:31 PM
All fixed--Next Byte just phoned.
Apple are sending me a new Mac.
Only problem,they have to get mine back before they will order the replacement.
That means another ten days to two weeks before it arrives.
That will be ten weeks since purchase and six weeks of that time without it.
The new one had better not be a dud or it will be money back for me.
Fitzy

stewiesno1
9th April 2008, 10:09 PM
A good result for you in the end but a shame about all the stuffing around and the downtime without a computer for sure. I hope the replacement serves you well.

Stewie

krafty
9th April 2008, 10:37 PM
good to hear

woofy
9th April 2008, 11:20 PM
v good to hear.....although I have a firend who had so many dead logic boards in his macbook..that they gave him the model that was released two yrs later...and its just died as well just out of warranty....hmmm

Fitzy
10th April 2008, 05:51 AM
Yes,the final result is good,but the downtime and now the turn around is poor.
Don't tell me things like that woofy.OMG-I could not handle more logic board replacements in the new one.
The repairs and labout have now cost Apple more than my original purchase price.
Thanks all for the good wishes.
Fitzy

mechcon
10th April 2008, 07:53 AM
v good to hear.....although I have a firend who had so many dead logic boards in his macbook..that they gave him the model that was released two yrs later...and its just died as well just out of warranty....hmmm

tell your mate to not get a macbook :P

Kuma
10th April 2008, 02:33 PM

applecare is your friend!!

woofy
11th April 2008, 01:06 PM
Yeah the new one was just out of 3yrs and then its logicboard died......so that's the end of it.

Thunderstruck
11th April 2008, 01:12 PM
I love stories about dead logic boards, they're always so "fun" to hear or read. I have one myself from 6 years ago. iBook G3 500MHz, 3 dead logic boards within 2 weeks. One year later Apple admitted it had problems with G3 iBooks. My model wasn't officially recognized until another year had passed. MyMac at Flinders were awesome in handling it.

My mom now uses it.