PDA

View Full Version : eMac Upgrade Help

ath
8th April 2008, 10:33 PM
Hello everyone,

I bought an eMac not too long ago as a second computer for the house, and for the price, was an absolute bargain. Alas, a bargain at a price. The thing is slow.

I want to upgrade the RAM, and possibly change the optical drive, but I don't have the tech experience/knowledge. I have heard that the CRT monitors, even when unplugged, can be dangerous to those who have no idea what they're doing.

I am at the mercy of the forum members. Anyone in melbourne that can help me out? I will pay you, and lunch too :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks

totallybonkers
10th April 2008, 10:44 AM
Hello,
The RAM is an easy fix. If you go to an independently owned computer store and buy the ram from them you could tell them you will buy the ram if they will install it for you. They shouldn't charge you anything as they will make their money on the RAM itself. They will refer to the existing RAM in order to know which RAM you need. The CD/DVD player is another story.....
Daniel aka totallybonkers

cosmichobo
10th April 2008, 11:59 AM
Hi ath,

I upgraded my eMac's RAM recently. I originally had 512MB, as 1 single chip, and then got another 512MB chip to put in the remaining slot.

It's easy to do - anyone, even you, could do it.

First you need to confirm how much, and in what configeration, your eMac has. Apple menu -> About this Mac -> More Info...

This takes you into System Profiler. Half way down the "Hardware" list is "Memory". Click on that, and it will tell you what (if any) memory is in each of the eMac's 2 RAM slots. Hopefully for you, there will be 1 free slot, which means you'll not have to "waste" the memory already in the computer (as you'll need a free slot to install a larger RAM chip).

I am told that you can put up to 2GB of RAM in an eMac... but Apple officially only says 1GB. I picked up that 512MB chip for $42 inc postage from Hong Kong (ebay seller, Flashman852)... They aren't that expensive these days.

This guide on Apple's website tells you how to do it yourself:

eMac: How to Install or Replace Memory (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1319)

As to the new internal optical drive... does the eMac have firewire? If so, find an external drive instead... not THAT much more expensive, and no hassle to instal unlike having to open the eMac up...

ath
10th April 2008, 05:53 PM
thanks for the help guys.

i didn't even think of an external drive. yeah it's got a firewire port, so it should work fine.

as for the ram, i'll try and give it a go myself. If i feel that i've dug my own grave, i'll take it to a computer guy.

thanks again:thumbup: