PDA

View Full Version : Download vs boxed version of VMWare Fusion

Peter Mount
8th April 2008, 04:31 PM
Hi

Is there any real benefit to paying an extra $20 for the boxed version of VMWare Fusion (or any software for that matter) when I can save money on the electronic download?

Thanks

Wally
8th April 2008, 04:33 PM
Other than get it in a box... no..

purana
8th April 2008, 04:33 PM
As Wally said...

euphospug
8th April 2008, 04:34 PM
I guess also the disks? maybe you want to re-install and on that day the internet goes down??

Wally
8th April 2008, 04:36 PM
Basically the $20 is the cost to cover the box / manual and the disk itself
I doubt the internet will be going down soon..

Although it would be nice to see a futurama styled internet interface xD
Wally

purana
8th April 2008, 04:38 PM
I guess also the disks? maybe you want to re-install and on that day the internet goes down??

Download and burn a copy onto a CDR each time a new build comes out. Simple.

euphospug
8th April 2008, 04:45 PM
I meant your connection / telstra severs a line or whatever lol. Or VMWARE looses your information etc...

purana
8th April 2008, 04:47 PM
I meant your connection / telstra severs a line or whatever lol. Or VMWARE looses your information etc...

Eh? Now your really confusing us all.

I've purchased from VMware online. No problems at all. As long as you remember your online logon and username. All sweet.

I've had the same logon for as long as VMware Workstation has been around. Buy online save a few bucks.

EDIT: And VMware won't loose your information, we are not talking some small operation here. VMware is quite large and backed by an even larger firm, which we all know is Emc2

euphospug
8th April 2008, 04:57 PM
It's not that hard. Worst Case Scenario!!!!

You have the software nicely loaded on your computer!

Boom - you loose your harddrive and need to reinstall. But 'oh no - VMWARE have lost my information' or 'there is no internet today due to terrorists cuting all the cables' or "fricken dinosuars attacked the city and I have no wireless"

you can now re-install from the disks you have on your self, instead of having to re-download from the site.

that's what the $20 extra gets you - the peace of mind that you CAN reinstall.

dev_enter
8th April 2008, 04:58 PM
I have the disk image sitting on my computer. If I need to reinstall it, I'll reinstall it without having to rummage around for the discs.

MrJesseRoss
8th April 2008, 05:12 PM
It's not hard to burn the downloaded file to a disc. And it's much cheaper than the $20 you'd pay for a boxed copy.

Peter Mount
8th April 2008, 05:13 PM
OK. I think I'll just buy it online and save a copy to a blank CD. And with the money I save I can put that towards my intake of fish and chips for the weekend.

Have fun

euphospug
8th April 2008, 05:34 PM
ok - but don't come running to me if your hard drive goes down and you lose the disk image... lol :-) :-)

dev_enter
8th April 2008, 05:35 PM
That same disk image that can easily be burned to a CD?
I think you're missing the point.

snark
8th April 2008, 05:38 PM
OK. I think I'll just buy it online and save a copy to a blank CD. And with the money I save I can put that towards my intake of fish and chips for the weekend.

Have fun
Someone's getting more than minimum chips....
:p

euphospug
8th April 2008, 05:44 PM
wtf is going on here!!!!

the OP asked what benefit spending an extra $20 was - original disks, orignal packaging. my opinion is - just a bit of 'piece of mind'

I know what the point is - you're missing MY point. Bad stuff happens to hardrives, disks, disk images backups, the internet, connections, DVD drives, CD drives USBs your legs, mouse fingers - WHATEVER!

I know that I would personally pay the extra $20 to ahve the original INSTALL disks in a box on my shelf than rely on 'soft' copies on my hard-drive or to have to re-download when maybe, juts maybe, I might no t be able to 'on demand'

I know you can burn a DISK IMAGE to a CD / DVD - but what if yoy have a faulty batch of DVD's / CD's that you can't read from (it has happened in the past to me) - what if your instal serial number get lost too (the packaging usually has those printed on there somewhere)...

I was just offering up an opinion as to why the OP would want to spend an dextra $20 - what he asked for. - I didn't expect to get lambasted about it - I even filled the posts with some amusing scenarios, plenty of smiley faces and lols... just to make sure that you understood that I was being lighthearted. but in case you didn't get it

I WAS BEING LIGHT-HEARTED. thanks for listening.

lol lol :-)

Peter Mount
8th April 2008, 08:48 PM
wtf is going on here!!!!

the OP asked what benefit spending an extra $20 was - original disks, orignal packaging. my opinion is - just a bit of 'piece of mind'

I know what the point is - you're missing MY point. Bad stuff happens to hardrives, disks, disk images backups, the internet, connections, DVD drives, CD drives USBs your legs, mouse fingers - WHATEVER!

I know that I would personally pay the extra $20 to ahve the original INSTALL disks in a box on my shelf than rely on 'soft' copies on my hard-drive or to have to re-download when maybe, juts maybe, I might no t be able to 'on demand'

I know you can burn a DISK IMAGE to a CD / DVD - but what if yoy have a faulty batch of DVD's / CD's that you can't read from (it has happened in the past to me) - what if your instal serial number get lost too (the packaging usually has those printed on there somewhere)...

I was just offering up an opinion as to why the OP would want to spend an dextra $20 - what he asked for. - I didn't expect to get lambasted about it - I even filled the posts with some amusing scenarios, plenty of smiley faces and lols... just to make sure that you understood that I was being lighthearted. but in case you didn't get it

I WAS BEING LIGHT-HEARTED. thanks for listening.

lol lol :-)

It was all appreciated.

Thanks