PDA

View Full Version : How do i connect a HP printer to iMac?

RDMC
8th April 2008, 03:43 PM
i have an iMac running Leopard software and airport extreme, i would like to connect a Hewlett Packard 2500 deskjet colour printer-it appears that there are no HP drivers available for Leopard. the printer can be connected via an old serial port cable or cat 5, which i assume is an ethernet port.
the printer is about 6 years old [?] and prints perfectly on a self test print out.
does anyone have any idea how i can connect these appliances?
regards
Guido

jeremy_warnock
8th April 2008, 03:49 PM
you could try plugging the printer into your airport extreme, then cups may pick it up as an ip printer

decryption
8th April 2008, 03:51 PM
Install Gutenprint: Gutenprint for Mac OS X (http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3)

If your printer hasn't got a USB connection though, you'll need a parallel to USB cable (about $10). If you're installing other Ethernet, you'll need to track down a manual and see how it works. If it has a print server built in (probably), chances are you can simply install Gutenprint and add the IP address of the printer to your Mac (in the System Preferences) and it will add it as a Windows printer and print to it like that.

RDMC
29th April 2008, 09:55 PM
hi, thanks for your help.do i need drivers for this cable or will mac work without it?
regards
RDMC