PDA

View Full Version : MythTv on a Mac mini?

tomandbec
8th April 2008, 01:24 PM
I have heard that you can put mythtv on a mac mini. Does anyone have any experience with this....

I have been using eyetv/frontrow combination for the last 6 months and have found it rather lacking, not to mention front row hanging all the time! Previously i was using windows MCe (for 2years) and found this to be a superior product. I was waiting for an eyetv release but it doesn't seem to be much better with eyetv3... so am contemplating putting mythtv on my mac (otherwise getting a little vista machine).

Im' interested in comments from anyone who might have tried this...

Bec

marc
8th April 2008, 01:29 PM
Why not put Vista Media Center on your Mac Mini? Should work well, assuming you can get the right drivers for the USB TV tuners.

MythTV should also work, but I have less experience with it, so I can't really tell you much beyond that.

Vista will require an Intel Mini, and I think MythTV will either require an Intel Mac Mini or be easier to set up than a PPC Mini.

purana
8th April 2008, 02:06 PM
Once you get Linux installed, then yes getting Mythtv on is as easy as installing the packages.

We'll leave that upto you :)

semaja2
8th April 2008, 02:27 PM
why reinstall.... mythtv is built for osx as well....

purana
8th April 2008, 03:29 PM
why reinstall.... mythtv is built for osx as well....

Only the FrontEnd application from what I recall. And I am guessing this poster may want to run the BackEnd from the machine too.

But YES the FrontEnd exists for OSX natively.

tomandbec
8th April 2008, 04:27 PM
Hi there... I have vista on my new laptop, but MCE doesn't look as good as it used to on XP....so i was hoping to find something that is integrated and not as cluttered as eyetv....

One problem i have is i'm using an elgato dual tuner, which i don't think is windows compatible....

I would also like to use the mac as a computer too, so if i could get mythtv (or any other product) to sit on the desktop that would be preferable.... I am also planning on taking a look at centrestage hope it might do what i want...

i'm off to look at the mythtv website for some more information... will post again if i find anything interesting...

Thanks for responding, Bec

tomandbec
8th April 2008, 04:54 PM
It looks like to install mythtv, youhave to have a partitioned linux install.....

I don't really have the time for that one... never mind... Thanks again.. Bec..