PDA

View Full Version : Home design planning software

flyboyoz
7th April 2008, 11:41 PM
hey guys, just wondering if anyone knew any good free design software. Basically wanting to put to scale the outline of my house and play around with different plans before seeking out real pros.
Did a bit of a search here but couldn't see to much. Any suggestions

forgie
7th April 2008, 11:51 PM
Sketchup? That does free, relatively simple 3d stuff pretty well.

nightelves
8th April 2008, 12:09 AM
yeh a good one is viewbuild i saaw them at the homeshow and they were great and from youtube as well. Personally I used Envisioneer atm and its also a great software as well. Hope that helps

bfa
8th April 2008, 08:16 AM
As a building designer I would recommend using Sketchup, Its simple and easy to learn and you can get your ideas on paper really quickly. The 3d aspect is also great for getting a feeling of mass & proportion. It will also help when you go to see the professionals, your 3d model will give them a better idea of what you are looking for in your house. Another bonus is that it has some compatibility with autocad and other programs when you get further down the track

flyboyoz
8th April 2008, 11:24 AM
can u do just basic floor plans with sketchup? thats the main thing i'm after atm. Drawing the existing plan then play with alterations. (ie moving walls etc etc)

Dante Kyar
8th April 2008, 11:30 AM
yes you can. You just choose an overhead view, and draw the floor plan using the line tool.