PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp related question

nightelves
7th April 2008, 10:56 PM
Hi is it possible to transfer programs from mac to windows running bootcamp and if so how do you go abouts doing it? Another thing is there a way to enable the double tap on the trackpad in windows as I dearly miss that function

leon
7th April 2008, 10:57 PM
Programs that run under OSX will only run under OSX, they will not run under windows. Windows apps that run in bootcamp will run in OSX using Paralells or VMware Fusion. I am not aware of any programs that will let you run OSX apps under a windows environment.

Keving
7th April 2008, 10:58 PM
Programs, no. Mac & Windows use different file systems.. I'm sure someone else could elaborate more...

nightelves
7th April 2008, 10:59 PM
No I don't mean run program in different OS environment just tranferring files say an exe file from mac into windows

nightelves
7th April 2008, 11:00 PM
So really the only way to tranfer files back and forth is by VMWare fusion or parallel?

decryption
7th April 2008, 11:01 PM
EXE files don't work on a Mac. Sure you can copy them to your Mac partition, but you can't actually do anything with them.

geektechnu
7th April 2008, 11:08 PM
Just transferring files?
Easiest way would be to copy files to a USB drive.

Other options:
- OSX can read from your bootcamp disk
- If the bootcamp disk is FAT32, OSX can also write to it.
- If the bootcamp disk is NTFS, OSX can write to it using MacFUSE and NTFS3G (Google is your friend here).

Double-tap cannot be enabled under windows. You can put 2 fingers on the trackpad and press click the button.

Personally, I use a custom program that:
- maps right-click to the enter key
- maps middle-click to the right command key
- swaps ctrl and command on left side

nightelves
7th April 2008, 11:09 PM
so there is really no way to transfer the file, then from there restart the laptop and have it running in windows and the file that you just transferred can be used in windows?

leon
7th April 2008, 11:20 PM
My bootcamp partition is FAT32 solely so I can drag and drop into it from OSX.

nightelves
7th April 2008, 11:22 PM
dam mine is NTFS how were you able to make it FAT32? I have to use MacFuse now.

leon
7th April 2008, 11:26 PM
When I set it up I just chose FAT32 as the formatting option. As I only use Windows XP for Sigmaplot I didn't feel the need to go crazy with the file system.

nightelves
8th April 2008, 12:11 AM
Can you also do the reverse if you're in windows and you want to transfer files to mac os x?

Katey
8th April 2008, 12:15 AM
you should have hard drive icon your desktop called 'untitled' unless you renamed it , this is your bootcamp partition, you can go through your windows files via it and copy files into it.

As far as the trackpad goes, No not that i know of unless someone made 3rd party drivers. The bootcamp trackpad support is poor.

edit: unless your using ntfs, then you have to use parallels/fusion to write to it.

edit2: you cant do it in reverse. need parallels/fusion for that also

nightelves
8th April 2008, 12:17 AM
Yeh Katey i've sorted those two questions out already. However I just wanted to know can you also do the reverse if you're in windows and you want to transfer files to mac os x?

Keving
8th April 2008, 12:23 AM
Yeh Katey i've sorted those two questions out already. However I just wanted to know can you also do the reverse if you're in windows and you want to transfer files to mac os x?

Mediafour | MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/)

Macdrive will let you do that.

geektechnu
8th April 2008, 07:59 AM

You can't turn NTFS into FAT32 without a complete reformat.

You options:
- Install MacDrive in XP to get access to the OSX partition
- Install MacFUSE and NTFS3G in OSX to access to the WIndows partition
- Use and external FAT32 drive for storing/moving data

I use MacFUSE+NTFS3G and highly recommend it.
Set it up once and all of a sudden you can write to NTFS drives.

Currawong
8th April 2008, 09:33 AM
The last person I talked to who used MacDrive corrupted their Mac partition, so I'd be a bit wary.