PDA

View Full Version : Adobe SVG plug in for Safari

gtext
6th April 2008, 11:02 PM
Tried to view a graph on a website that I can't view because it requires Adobe SVG installed.

I tried the version for 10.4 which is the latest on the Adobe site. That didn't work.

Not a biggie as I can view it in IE in windows but is there a way to do this in Safari?

Safari 3.1 running in Leopard.

f1_power
6th April 2008, 11:25 PM
I thought Safari 3 now has SVG support....

toholio
6th April 2008, 11:25 PM
Tried to view a graph on a website that I can't view because it requires Adobe SVG installed.

I tried the version for 10.4 which is the latest on the Adobe site. That didn't work.

Not a biggie as I can view it in IE in windows but is there a way to do this in Safari?

Safari 3.1 running in Leopard.

I think you're out of luck here. Adobe aren't likely to release an updated version of the plug-in since they own Flash which SVG competes with in some ways. Besides which, SVG support is getting much better in the decent browsers. Safari 3.1's support for SVG images is already quite good and the nightly WebKit builds are better.

You could always e-mail the site's owner and tell them to turn off the check for the Adobe SVG viewer. I'd be really surprised if Safari 3.1 couldn't show them just fine. You might also be able to look at the page's source and work out the URL of the SVG image and surf directly to it.

What's the site?

toholio
6th April 2008, 11:26 PM
I thought Safari 3 now has SVG support....

Has had for some time. There are still a lot of sites out there which incorrectly look specifically for the Adobe SVG plug-in.

gtext
6th April 2008, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=What's the site?[/QUOTE]

MTAA Superannuation. Members balance graph.
Doesn't ask you to download just doesn't show the graph.

The Adobe SVG download page has a test that fails if tried.

toholio
7th April 2008, 08:29 AM
MTAA Superannuation. Members balance graph.
Doesn't ask you to download just doesn't show the graph.

Well, if this is a service you're paying for then you have every right to request they change the way the page is written. They don't have to do it, of course, but you actually have some grounds to try and change their ways.

Try this:

Go to one of the pages with a graph on it.
From the View menu select View Source.
Once the source comes up, Select Find from the edit menu and seach for .svg
Select and copy the address ending in .svg
Open a new window in Safari and paste the .svg address into the location bar

Hopefully you'll be able to see the graph, assuming the people who wrote the site aren't complete asshats.

If the graph is viewable this way then your request to the site's maintainers can also show that it already does work in Safari.

gtext
8th April 2008, 01:00 PM
Well, if this is a service you're paying for then you have every right to request they change the way the page is written. They don't have to do it, of course, but you actually have some grounds to try and change their ways.

Try this:

Go to one of the pages with a graph on it.
From the View menu select View Source.
Once the source comes up, Select Find from the edit menu and seach for .svg
Select and copy the address ending in .svg
Open a new window in Safari and paste the .svg address into the location bar

Hopefully you'll be able to see the graph, assuming the people who wrote the site aren't complete asshats.

If the graph is viewable this way then your request to the site's maintainers can also show that it already does work in Safari.

Thanks for your suggestion. Page uses frames so I can't view the full html.

I'll get in touch with them.

toholio
8th April 2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. Page uses frames so I can't view the full html.

Frames? Was this site written in 1997 by any chance? :p

Kidding aside, you can right click on a frame if you have a two button mouse or Apple-Click if you have a one button mouse and select View Source from the popup menu.

Getting in touch with them is still probably the best way to go though.