PDA

View Full Version : RAM Upgrade

fonhiew
25th March 2005, 06:19 PM
Hi, I have a powerbook g4 1.33 revision c with 512 mb ram currently and am considering adding more ram, maybe 1gig. Does anyone where I can find reasonably priced rams in Sydney or online?

iluvmymactoo
25th March 2005, 06:22 PM
I bought mine from 4 All Memory (http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm) in the USA online. It worked out significantly cheaper than buying it in Australia.

fonhiew
25th March 2005, 06:25 PM
Hi thanks for the quick reply. Did u get charged by customs any taxes when the ram was sent out to u?

iluvmymactoo
25th March 2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by fonhiew@Mar 25 2005, 06:25 PM
Hi thanks for the quick reply. Did u get charged by customs any taxes when the ram was sent out to u?
Just make sure they send it to you as personal mail, not fedex. Otherwise it will go throught Customs and you will have to pay tax on it (about $80). :o

pipsqeek
25th March 2005, 08:29 PM
Not to shoot you down iluvmymactoo.

But Fonhiew, ever consider the banner at the top right of our fine forum?

pipsqeek

iluvmymactoo
25th March 2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Mar 25 2005, 08:29 PM
Not to shoot you down iluvmymactoo.

But Fonhiew, ever consider the banner at the top right of our fine forum?

pipsqeek
Not at all, but when I click that banner it takes me to Wicked Digital and I didn't think they sold ram? If they do how much is it?

Galumay
25th March 2005, 09:46 PM
if you buy it os it WILL go thru customs, generally if the item's value is less than A$500 they will not charge you the GST - which is the only tax payable as sales tax and import duty has been abolished. (with the exception of a few things including luxury cars).

iluvmymactoo
25th March 2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by galamay@Mar 25 2005, 09:46 PM
if you buy it os it WILL go thru customs, generally if the item's value is less than A$500 they will not charge you the GST - which is the only tax payable as sales tax and import duty has been abolished. (with the exception of a few things including luxury cars).
I got my ram from them via fedex and Customs charged me duty on it. It was around $80.

Galumay
25th March 2005, 11:58 PM
[/QUOTE]I got my ram from them via fedex and Customs charged me duty on it. It was around $80.[quote]

i am not trying to be argumentitive...but what duty??? import duty has mainly been abolished as i said (luxury cars, booze, ciggies still have it).

what value did they charge $80 on?? seems a very high figure as GST is only 10% i.e. $80 = $800 value.

the method of importing, fedex, UPS, surface mail doesnt make a particular difference, rather whether customs check the parcel and their check rate is a high % these days.

epowermac
26th March 2005, 06:44 AM
Hi
I will clear this up 4 ya.
There isnt an import duty, but its called "Customs Seach Fee" or "Customs Duty" which runs at about $50.00 (This doesnt mean they actually check it, they always charge it)

More info can be found here.
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376

If it comes through the postal system, then you will get away with both of these charges , as long as its under $1000. Fedex, UPS, DHL seem to charge it for everything. (Think they like the extra revenue)

So with "iluvmymactoo" purchase, it comes out at.
1Gb Module - US$225 (=AU $303.73)
Freight to AUS - US$30.00 (AU $40.00)

So AU total at this stage is $340.73

When it comes into aus, GST is charged on the sale amount only (Usually) , So thats $30, add this to the $50 seach fee and you get $80.

So ends up being $340.00 + $80 = $420.00 in total.

Or you can buy it from us for $425.00 incl GST, delivery $13.00.

Robert Zatta
US Procurement Department
Express Powermac Solutions
Web: www.epowermac.com.au
email: robert@epowermac.com.au

Galumay
26th March 2005, 07:54 AM
interesting stuff! the only time customs have charged me that $50 fee is when my order is over $500 & they are charging GST. It has not made any difference for me what shipping method i use, i.e. i use fedex & UPS quite a lot for marine stuff from the US and if they dont charge the GST then I dont get the $50 handling fee. I have learnt to keep my orders under $500!!

seems to me there a couple of possibilitys here, one they deal with computing components differently (possible), they are totally inconsistent with how they deal with packages to individuals (likely!)

btw the other issue i have is that a parcel can take less than 48hours to get here from the states - and then can take 2 weeks for oz post to get it to me!!

ric3am
26th March 2005, 08:15 AM
I got 2 1Gig kits (512X2) from

http://www.transintl.com
They were very good fast e-mails and help although I had to pay over the phone

It cost me $340 US including $25 postage it was sent by UPS and got them within a week

I did not pay any customs or Gst
at the time I ended paying about $420 Au the cheapest I could find here was closer to $600
even if you got slugged with duty it would work out a lot cheaper

the only drawback would be with warranty issues as you would have to return the ram

fonhiew
26th March 2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks everyone for contributing on this thread!!!

I've done a bit of shopping on the Internet before (clothing) and got charged duties and gst when it arrived. The customs officer told me that clothing and apparel has the highest import taxes cos they want to protect the local manufacturers blah blah. Since then I've talked to a friend who has a trading company who told me that computers and theirs parts dont get charged duties. I dont know why, forgot what he said. I've also seen somewhere that you should not be charged duties if the import goods are below aud500. mm...

Guess I'll still research a little more on customs and prices in Australia. :)