PDA

View Full Version : Customising Your Desktop

fairy1
25th March 2005, 05:27 PM
Hello again ...

Geez im asking alot of questions today :D

Can we use Animated Wallpapers on the Pb g4?

and animated screensavers?

is Itunes skinable? like realplayer ? any links?

thanks every1

Ozi
25th March 2005, 05:32 PM
you can use animated screensavers as a desktop image, but you need Xback (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11202) and I ma yet to find a freeware app which does the same thing.

Disko
25th March 2005, 05:36 PM
you can also set the desktop background to change every 30 seconds - give it a try ;)

funkmaster_dan
25th March 2005, 05:59 PM
Here's something that I pulled off of MacGamer a while ago.

It allows you to set your screen saver as the desktop image

Rufo is off this week, so I'm going to supplement the MacGamer X columns with a little something I like to call "Stupid OS X Tricks". This one actually came from my pal, Dave Vedder, who is more in love with OS X than pretty much anyone I know. With his tutoring, I'm going to teach you how to phreak your desktop. It's a small trick and a relatively useless one, but for a moment or two you'll definitely say "Wow... that's cool". The good stuff will be back next week when Rufo returns.

First, open up your terminal. You'll find it in your applications folder, inside the utilities folder. When you open it you'll have a little command-line interface ready to go, and you should type this in (or cut and paste):

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &

Hit return and you'll notice that your desktop is going into overdrive. You may like it this way and, therefore, you can just leave it. If, after a while, you want to stop it you're going to have a bit of a problem because there's no "quit" option for this. Don't worry, though... I'm also going to teach you how to use the Process Viewer to kill a process.

You've probably used the "force quit" feature at one time or another (apple+option+esc). Killing a process is similar, but it allows you to get to things which you aren't normally supposed to have access to (i.e. not just applications). Open the "Process Viewer", which is also in applications/utilities. When you do, you'll get a list of every single thing your Mac is currently working on (whether you have direct control over it or not). This is a handy utility because it lets you get a peek at what's eating up all your CPU cycles or RAM. If you're noticing some sluggish or inexplicable behavior, sometimes it's good to poke your head into the process viewer and see what's going on.

You'll notice a process in the list called "ScreenSaverEngine". Select it, and then go to the "Processes" menu and select "Quit Process". If you select "Quit", you'll get your desktop back and everything will be just as you left it before you read this week's MacGamer X.

Thanks, Vedder.

fairy1
25th March 2005, 07:43 PM
www.elefun-desktops.com

have a look at this website see if you can download the animated wallpapers and if it works do tell ...

I havent got my pb yet so cant try ..