PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Photoshop CS4 Will Be 64-Bit For Windows Only

mab
5th April 2008, 12:57 AM
Adobe Systems has shared the first bit of information about its next version of Photoshop, CS4.
there will be a 64-bit version of the photo-editing software, but only for Windows Vista and not for Mac OS X (http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/photoshop_lr_64.html). Mac users will have to wait for CS5.

Kuma
5th April 2008, 01:06 AM
I think that, given the latest update, we are going to see aperture become the photo editing software for Mac....

which makes me all warm and fuzzy cause I cant afford no photoshop.

SyncMan
5th April 2008, 05:43 AM
Adobe Systems has shared the first bit of information about its next version of Photoshop, CS4.
there will be a 64-bit version of the photo-editing software, but only for Windows Vista and not for Mac OS X (http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/photoshop_lr_64.html). Mac users will have to wait for CS5.

From what I understand this is due to Cocoa being 64 bit, and Apple not ever going to make Carbon 64 bit, and Photoshop was developed on Carbon, will take longer to redevelop and make it Cocoa 64 bit. Adobe respects Apples decision on Carbon never going 64 bit.

I am going to stick my neck out and say I don't agree with the majority who might say "Why does Adobe take so long in these matters?", by saying "Why did Apple change the code base so often, changed the rules so often, and not offer enough of a cross over?"

Yes I have heard the arguments that then Mac OS would be bloatware like Windows OS, but I can say for 100% certainty that at some level, not all levels the Mac market took a hit going from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS 10, sure it's all for the better now, no doubt, but the echos still linger with issues like this, with Carbon slowly being sent to the grave.

I am sure many will rejoice with NO Carbon in 10.6, but I am not so sure???

Quamen
5th April 2008, 09:55 AM
From what I understand this is due to Cocoa being 64 bit, and Apple not ever going to make Carbon 64 bit, and Photoshop was developed on Carbon, will take longer to redevelop and make it Cocoa 64 bit. Adobe respects Apples decision on Carbon never going 64 bit.

They only did this once with respect to Carbon. They said 64 bit in 2006 and in 2007 said they had changed their mind.

Adobe have know about this for nearly a year now, so the announcement of non-64 bit photoshop for CS4 is not a huge surprise. There is a lot of code to port.

I am going to stick my neck out and say I don't agree with the majority who might say "Why does Adobe take so long in these matters?", by saying "Why did Apple change the code base so often, changed the rules so often, and not offer enough of a cross over?"

Apple aren't changing the code base of Carbon here. They're just not adding to it. Which fits in with what they have been telling developers for years.

Carbon (http://developer.apple.com/carbon/) A low level procedural API

Vs.

Cocoa (http://developer.apple.com/cocoa/) Modern Object Oriented frameworks

It's pretty clear to any developer which should be used for writing application for the mac. It's been pretty clear for as long as I can remember.

Adobe know this, that's why they wrote Lightroom in Cocoa.

Yes I have heard the arguments that then Mac OS would be bloatware like Windows OS, but I can say for 100% certainty that at some level, not all levels the Mac market took a hit going from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS 10, sure it's all for the better now, no doubt, but the echos still linger with issues like this, with Carbon slowly being sent to the grave.

I am sure many will rejoice with NO Carbon in 10.6, but I am not so sure???

Apple are doing the right thing by not adding to Carbon. They've been doing progressive enhancements of Cocoa for years now.

They won't be dropping it completely anytime soon I don't think. Apple still has too many applications that are written in Carbon, like Final Cut.

morn
6th April 2008, 03:50 AM
iTunes is still carbon, hehe.
Final cut pro carbon you say? Apple is hurting themselves perhaps then, video encoding is a task that would definitely benefit from 64bit.

Adobe says photoshop is 10% fast for everything and 10 times faster for files that are more than 4GB. 64bit is really worth having for computational programs.

ilostmypassword
6th April 2008, 06:39 AM
I think that, given the latest update, we are going to see aperture become the photo editing software for Mac....

which makes me all warm and fuzzy cause I cant afford no photoshop.

i doubt it very much. Nothing will ever replace photoshop for image manipulation- nothing can....

Kuma
6th April 2008, 11:48 AM
i doubt it very much. Nothing will ever replace photoshop for image manipulation- nothing can....

alex lindsey and co beg to differ...

adobe once ruled with video editing... dropped the ball.. and apple picked it up....

the right plugins for aperture and bam... adobe drops another ball...

El Guardo
6th April 2008, 12:15 PM

Photo editing - possibly.
Image editing - not a chance.