PDA

View Full Version : iTunes: Columns

dinoo
4th April 2008, 08:22 PM
Hey guys,

First of all, I just have to say that i am weird in the way i organise my iTunes library. I like to create a playlist for every album i have in iTunes. Simple. I have been told that I am doing something iTunes already does, but i really don't care. I like it that way.

Ok, is there anyway I can make iTunes make all the playlists in Album view and have the columns that i specify? I just want it to default. I want it to be unified across all playlists. Is there any automated way to do this? I don't really want to go through 250 albums manually.

If I am not being clear, tell me and I'll post some pics.

Thanks for any help, hints or advice.

Hamsmyth
4th April 2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah I'm struggling to visualise some screenshots would help ;)

iPirate
4th April 2008, 09:06 PM
Preferences -> General -> second last checkbox (Remember view settings for each source) -> Make sure it is unchecked. And set your current iTunes window to be in Album view.

Does that help a little?

krafty
4th April 2008, 09:07 PM
yep, thats it you do it your way & it'll all be sweet.

dinoo
4th April 2008, 09:14 PM
ok here goes.
this is what each playlist, which is an album in its self, looks like (all vary for some reason)
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8210/picture2zm5.th.png (http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2zm5.png)

And this is what i want EACH to look like (album view, name, time, play count, rating, kind)
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7206/picture1my1.th.png (http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1my1.png)

is there any way to automate this process to do it to each playlist?

thanks, tell me if i am being to vague again.

dinoo
4th April 2008, 09:16 PM
Preferences -> General -> second last checkbox (Remember view settings for each source) -> Make sure it is unchecked. And set your current iTunes window to be in Album view.

Does that help a little?

oh, so close!
it remembers the album view, but not the columns. Any way to do that as well?
Thanks!

dinoo
4th April 2008, 09:23 PM
also, does anyone remember where to get that script that shows you what songs are missing covers?
thanks

MrJesseRoss
4th April 2008, 09:49 PM
I know you say you like each album to have its own playlist, but have you tried using the iTunes browser? I used to do the same thing as you, but the browser makes it a lot easier to do the same thing, and you don't have to worry about all these view settings. Seriously, give it a go. You might like it. :)

dinoo
4th April 2008, 09:54 PM
I know you say you like each album to have its own playlist, but have you tried using the iTunes browser? I used to do the same thing as you, but the browser makes it a lot easier to do the same thing, and you don't have to worry about all these view settings. Seriously, give it a go. You might like it. :)

i have tried. i just can't get my head around it, and seriously, i have put so much time into trying to get to like it, but i cant. And i like it because it is good for organisation on my pod. i dunno. =]

dinoo
5th April 2008, 07:25 PM
can anyone help?
thanks

adamd
5th April 2008, 08:24 PM

I agree. The browser is very good.
And you can still show the album view.

astr0b0y
5th April 2008, 08:27 PM
OMG, your touched in the head.

dinoo
5th April 2008, 08:37 PM
OMG, your touched in the head.

WHAT?!

gameon
5th April 2008, 08:48 PM
thats a bit harsh!

i for one use the browser view
but i can see why you would like doing it through playlists

it looks neat

hope you find an answer

dinoo
24th April 2008, 02:22 PM
Can anyone help here?
Thanks

Aladdin
24th April 2008, 03:25 PM
Click on Music at top of Sidebar.

Organise columns as you desire. Note that you'll need to have Album as one of the columns. Put album as rightmost column (gets it out of the way).

Click on 'Album' header to sort by album.

Then . .

Option A:

Select all tracks from first album (click on 1st track, shift-click on last track).

Press command-shift-N (File > New Playlist from Selection).

Repeat ad infinitum. Beware risk of RSI.

Consider deleting album column in each playlist if you can still be bothered by this stage.

Option B:

Just use the Music Library which is already sorted alphabetically by Album Name.

dinoo
24th April 2008, 03:28 PM
Click on Music at top of Sidebar.

Organise columns as you desire. Note that you'll need to have Album as one of the columns. Put album as rightmost column (gets it out of the way).

Click on 'Album' header to sort by album.

Then . .

Option A:

Select all tracks from first album (click on 1st track, shift-click on last track).

Press command-shift-N (File > New Playlist from Selection).

Repeat ad infinitum. Beware risk of RSI.

Consider deleting album column in each playlist if you can still be bothered by this stage.

Option B:

Just use the Music Library which is already sorted alphabetically by Album Name.

I got a dose of RSI the first time i did that.. i really do not ant to do that again. Hmm...Thanks anyway..

bullrout
24th April 2008, 03:32 PM
I guess you should have done it right the first time.:D

dinoo
24th April 2008, 03:33 PM
Haha too true...
If only...
I guess ill start again..

waynie
24th April 2008, 03:35 PM
also, does anyone remember where to get that script that shows you what songs are missing covers?
thanks

I can't really help with the views, I don't think there's a way to do it.

As for the scripts, is the first script on this page the one you're looking for:
Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ Managing Artwork (http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts13.php)

(Edit: Whoops I didn't see page 2. What is wrong with my attention to detail today!!!!)

Aladdin
24th April 2008, 03:37 PM
I guess you should have done it right the first time.:D

... until one day, you decide to add or change a column or two . . .

At least with using Option B (music library in Album view), it should take less than a minute to do.

dinoo
24th April 2008, 03:39 PM
@waynie
Yes, thank you mate.. Greatly appreciated.
I'll let you know how well it works.

@aladin
Yes, i know i know, but i dunno..... xD

dinoo
24th April 2008, 03:43 PM
Oh sweet mother of god, this is beautiful...

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/pdf/assimilateviewoptions.pdf

Do you reckon i should be weary of this? Whats the worst that can happen? Lose all my playlists? AHH! How can i back em up?

bullrout
24th April 2008, 03:45 PM
I would set the columns I want in the main music library and then drag the albums from the browser to the Playlist sidebar.

Aladdin
24th April 2008, 05:54 PM
I would set the columns I want in the main music library and then drag the albums from the browser to the Playlist sidebar.

Darn - wish I found out about this earlier. It saves about 5 steps!! Ta.

NeoRicen
26th April 2008, 10:13 PM
EDIT: Nevermind

gallet
28th April 2008, 07:41 PM
Wow, you're almost as anal as me. All my single ablums are on their own playlists in a folder of single ablums. Then I have folders that contain playlists for each album by the same group. Then there are special folders for Artists with lots of albums (also on their own playlists) like Jimi or Zappa. Then there are separate folders for Jazz, Classical etc, each one of these also has playlists of single albums or groups of playlists by artist.

MrJesseRoss
28th April 2008, 07:55 PM
God. I just have smart playlists for a bunch of artists that occasionally also include side/solo projects. That does the job for me. I don't think I could stand having that many single album playlists.

gallet
28th April 2008, 08:20 PM
like this

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08181/listicon357.jpg (http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08181/list183.jpg)