PDA

View Full Version : Apple G4 Powerbook Versus PC Centrino Laptops

fairy1
25th March 2005, 12:25 PM
Hello Everyone.

1 more week to go and i think im getting cold feet :D will i really be investing in a machine that is reliable??

Yeh its pretty obvious that everyone here is a MAC fan but which laptop is really better? Im not much of a techie but isnt a Centrino Laptop better then a PB G4?

Is the above faster then a PB g4??

If If IF IFFFFF a MAC OS X was running on centrino which laptop would you buy??

Basically to sum up peeps what is the advantage of using a MAC PB G4 compared to A PC centrino ooooo seems tough :P

do they both balance :D

thanks but ive got a few more days and cash to spend which will it be ... should i investigate the PC centrino Lappy's as well

and my usuage details are multimedia basically (Basic apps) internet surfing, word xcl.. not high power stuff

Thanks pple

greatly appreciate any criticism or advise

B)

hawker
25th March 2005, 12:36 PM
It really depends on what you need it for. The Powerbook is nice and fast, and is a great G4. I have never really liked PC Laptops, as I have found them to be ugly, slow and full of bugs etc etc.

gelfie
25th March 2005, 12:42 PM
Centrino's would be faster than a PB g4, and if anyone else here says any different, kick their butt. Having said that though, the uses you have mentioned will be *more* than catered for by a powerbook, with speed to spare.

The battery life on centrino laptops is also excellent.

I'd still buy the powerbook though, even if both ran os x. Unless I specifically needed something that the centrino machine could deliver, than the powerbook does not.... i,e a pro level video card or something similar.

But really, Apple has a lot of things going for it other than being the speediest thing on the planet. And I think the powerbook is going to be a much nicer buy than any centrino machine.

And lets not forget, that there is, and will never be, and OS X on intel.

hawker
25th March 2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by gelfie@Mar 25 2005, 12:42 PM
And lets not forget, that there is, and will never be, and OS X on intel.
Isn't Windows: Longhorn (code name, not the final name) going to be based on Unix like OSX?

It is Microsoft so they'll probably stuff it up, but ....

Kildare
25th March 2005, 01:01 PM
I was actually in the same boat & should be receiving my iBook in about a week too. :)

Not quite a Powerbook but although the Centrino (Pentium M) is a great processor for price, peformance & included software & support I don't think you can go past Apple.

fairy1
25th March 2005, 01:35 PM
[/QUOTE]Not quite a Powerbook but although the Centrino (Pentium M) is a great processor for price, peformance & included software & support I don't think you can go past Apple[quote]

but why??? whats soooo good about it? that made you choose the Apple instead ?

i was thinking maybe centrino and pb g4 would probably balance out because reading around im presuming that apple pb g4 is able to handle multi tasking of applications very well without the frequent freeze ... so that makes me think that the centrino will probbaly freeze more because it has a windows in it LOL and the only thing good about it is the fact its a centrino ...

but pb g4 has wireless as well wi fi and bluetooth and is thin too and isnt it true that G4 processor out performs a pentium 4??

hmmm main reason i want to switch is cos mac os x is unique and on its website they mention that its the WORLDS BEST OPERATING SYSTEM and has won awards for it as well...

hey i dont know but has anybody here seen or own one of these: a computer guy showed me this neck chain thing and it had some sort of locket thing on it (device thing) and when u walk away from ur PC laptop it locks u out so no one can go in there an use it whilstur away but as soon as u come back near the pc laptop it automatically signs u in again...

is there one for mac?? theres no use for it but there are cool accessories as well are there cool accessories like wierd ones for mac like the one i just mentioned??

so far im leaning against the PB G4 but one thing seriously theres nopoint getting the best laptop in the world with alll the bells and whistles because sooner or later something better will come out :D

but still would like to know the reasons wat makes pple switch and if u peeps have ne cool accessories

Currawong
25th March 2005, 01:41 PM
I'm kicking gelfie's butt - the "power" depends on what software you run.

I'd say, for sure, Apple laptops are better quality, that coming from someone who works in a company that sells, among other things, PC laptops.

The Centrino's tend to be loaded with unnecessary & outdated hardware - parallel and serial ports, floppy disk drive, PS2 ports etc and tend to skimp on the quality of their mainboards with peripherals running slower than they should.

The main thing that totally puts me off even looking at a quality PC laptop, such as the high-end Fujitsu's is that they run Windows.

964RSCS
25th March 2005, 01:56 PM
Useability!!! OSX is so much easier to use than windows in many respects. Networking for example is a breeze with an Apple. It just seems to be a total pain in the arse on a PC.

Your choice obviously, but I don't think if you got a Powerbook you would be at all disappointed.

Are you able to tell the speed difference between two computers if you used them side by side?? I don't think I could. Speed isn't everything, the centrino *might* be a little quicker perhaps, but that just gets you to the blue screen of death quicker!!!!

fairy1
25th March 2005, 02:03 PM
lol!

Phillip
25th March 2005, 04:01 PM
The Pentium M processor is faster and offers better battery life. That part is true. However, and are made out of cheap plastic (sigh), and they look crappy (double sigh) and they run Windows (triple sigh). Therefore, I would go with the PowerBooks. Still. It might not be the fastest thing on earth but its still the best and the King of notebooks - in terms if balance of performance, portability and beauty.

geektechnu
25th March 2005, 04:28 PM
Better OS? Depends what you like and who you talk to.
Better speed? Depends on what you use it for.

And I object to the "OS X is more reliable" argument. It all depends on how you treat your computer. I'll admit tho that OSX is prvides better userfriendliness - esp if you haven;t used Windows before - it just makes more sense when you're leaning it from scratch.

If you're buying from Apple you get Apple quality - very good all round. I keep a PC as my main desktop machine because I built it myself and know that the quality of parts & construction is top-notch. But I can't built a laptop from scratch, so I buy Apple ;)

I considered a Windows laptop, but found it took too much research to find out what strengths/flaws different models have. Buying Apple is easy. Work out what speed you need, then take a look at a few of the optional extras. No need to worry about excessive weight, build quality, heat issues...

My advice: If you're ready to use OS X, buy Apple.

Kildare
26th March 2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by fairy1@Mar 25 2005, 02:35 PM
but why??? whats soooo good about it? that made you choose the Apple instead ?
Basically it came down to...
- Price (10% Educational Discount plus $200 Rebate from Cram & Jam)
- Features (An iBook / PowerBook already has all the "Centrino" features)
- Operating System, Bundled Software & Support.
- Cosmestic appearance, reliability & durability.

I'm basically just getting the iBook for portability for basic Internet / Multimedia & Office usage. Plus I opted for the 12" model since its great value & I was after a tidy, compact little unit.

The Pentium M is a great CPU & the 7xx series Dothan cores are impressive however based on the above factors I chose to go with Apple.

Will be my first Apple since my old IIe but I don't think I'll regret it. :)
On that note my current main PC is an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ @ 3200+

suryo
26th March 2005, 04:55 AM
Build quality
Consistency
Design
Hardware/OS integration
Simplicity
Beauty

iluvmymactoo
26th March 2005, 07:50 AM
It's really quite simple:-

Pentium PC =
- viruses
- spyware
- constant need to defragment your HDD
- crashes
- it's plastic
- when Longhorn is released chuck this one out, you'll need something more poweful
- speed, until it crashes or the HDD gets too fragmented or you get a virus

PowerBook =
- no viruses
- no spyware
- what's defragmenting your HDD?
- crashing is what cars do
- aluminium
- when Tiger is released no problems, install it
- speed

Paxton
26th March 2005, 08:02 AM
I have a Dell Latitude with a Pentium M in it. It has been the best quality Dell I have ever used, but it has its downfalls. It is slow to wake from sleep, it BSODs often, and even with 512Mb of ram, it struggles with win2k. I have has it since christmas 2003, and with 750Mhz, it is reasonably fast. My PowerBook still beats it in everything, including battery life.

king89
26th March 2005, 08:46 AM
It doesn't really matter how fast your computer is, as long as it does what you want to do fast. I mean, if I was given the choice of using my powerbook, and a top of the line windows laptop or desktop I would still choose the powerbook. This is because, like you, when I first got my first mac I thought I would be just using to do basic tasks like songs, and surfing the web, and do assignments. The stuff I normally would do on my PC tower.

However since getting my powerbook, my computing habits have changed. While I still do the basics, I have learnt new ways to do the basics which are a lot more efficient, helpful, and intuitive. Like most people who use a Mac knows, the speed of the hardware may be important, but it is the software that really allows you to use your computer. And this is what Apple has over Windows any day. A program such as iLife will change the way you think about a computer, and how you will use it.

chocho
26th March 2005, 09:51 AM
using 'Microsoft' is like going back to 'Telstra'! Never Again!

Think Different!

:D

Squozen
26th March 2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Mar 25 2005, 12:49 PM
Isn't Windows: Longhorn (code name, not the final name) going to be based on Unix like OSX?
What on earth gave you that idea? It most certainly is NOT going to be based on any kind of open standard - this is Microsoft we're talking about.

Oh, and even if a PC laptop could run OS X, I'd still use my PowerBook - PC hardware is poorly designed and very ugly. Turn over a PC laptop, then do the same with a Mac. Notice that a Mac has no parts to snag on anything inside its bag, and that there's no ugly latches sticking out of the display.

zzmad
26th March 2005, 02:39 PM
Accessories? ... an accessory like windows has? ..
for example .. you work and the machine crash .. or .. you work and the machine gets viruses .. or you change a name in a file but u can't .. couse it's open, or .. you want to install a complete operating system elsewhere in 15 min ... or you want to boot your machine as firewire drive .. or you want to delete an app just by dragging it in the bin .. or .. you just want what you look at to look nice .. or just you want stuff to be reliable .. well sorry today my 3 computers count 11 days from reboot G5, 7 the ibook, 16 the mac mini .. ..

well .... but do you want a notebook or twice as a notebook .. because i saw a nice toshiba that was 15.4" .. but it was double the height .. so .. it might even be better you get 2 noteook instead of one ..

well for not mentioning what type of people are the one who make windows .. they need to conquer the world, the struggle to be always into the game .. so today we appreciate avi files .. because they needed to be in the game and they didn't have a quicktime .. well avi file is paleolithic of file type .. or another shit like wmv. wma .. wma then cool .. very good quality ... people that really have complexes .. they never managed to be the first in anything .. but selling selling selling .. ..luckily in europe they are stopping their arrogance .. ..

see ya ....

Paxton
26th March 2005, 03:02 PM
for example .. you work and the machine crash .. or .. you work and the machine gets viruses .. or you change a name in a file but u can't .. couse it's open, or .. you want to install a complete operating system elsewhere in 15 min ... or you want to boot your machine as firewire drive .. or you want to delete an app just by dragging it in the bin .. or .. you just want what you look at to look nice .. or just you want stuff to be reliable .. well sorry today my 3 computers count 11 days from reboot G5, 7 the ibook, 16 the mac mini .. ..

well .... but do you want a notebook or twice as a notebook .. because i saw a nice toshiba that was 15.4" .. but it was double the height .. so .. it might even be better you get 2 noteook instead of one ..

well for not mentioning what type of people are the one who make windows .. they need to conquer the world, the struggle to be always into the game .. so today we appreciate avi files .. because they needed to be in the game and they didn't have a quicktime .. well avi file is paleolithic of file type .. or another shit like wmv. wma .. wma then cool .. very good quality ... people that really have complexes .. they never managed to be the first in anything .. but selling selling selling .. ..luckily in europe they are stopping their arrogance .. ..

see ya ....

How about writing in English. I had to read your post 3 times before half of it made any sense. I believe we should ban the use of a fullstop (.) used in a sentence like that. It looks really bad. and is hard to understand. Next Time in English!

geektechnu
26th March 2005, 05:55 PM
Don't shoot me down here - I just want to say it bothers me when people bag PC using the old "Windows/PC isn't reliable" argument.

The last time my PC crashed was... we'll I can't really remember.
Everytime someone talks about PC crashes, spyware, virus problems, I know that I'm pretty safe - because I look after my computer. Simple as that.

And NTFS doesn't require ritual defragging like FAT. Can someone tell me what my iBook is doing after I install software and it sits there saying "optimizing hard disk for performance"?

I'm not saying that PC is better - Panther works great on my iBook and I love it. My PC and mac coexist very happily - both are great machines.

Kildare
26th March 2005, 06:07 PM
As far as I can tell hardware wise the Mac has picked up a lot from the PC scene over the years - although implementation of such hardware seems to have better practice on a Mac.

Clock for clock the Pentium M (Dothan) will beat a G4 & even nudge out a G5.

frenchtoast
26th March 2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by fairy1@Mar 25 2005, 12:25 PM
my usuage details are multimedia basically (Basic apps) internet surfing, word xcl.. not high power stuff
If thats the case then by a 12" ibook

its small, its portable, all the applications you would need to use are already on it.
and best of all its cheap.

spend less then $2000 and get all the options and accessories you need.

gelfie
26th March 2005, 06:35 PM
Can someone tell me what my iBook is doing after I install software and it sits there saying "optimizing hard disk for performance"?

It is not defragging your filesystem if that's what you were hoping the answer would be.

In actual fact it is updating the prebinding's for itself (and sometimes other) apps. Basically it is mapping out where to find its required libraries. This enables some cocoa based applications to launch more quickly. And only needs to be done once.

For more information check its man page entry:

man update_prebinding

gelfie

zefi
26th March 2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by paxtonandrew@Mar 26 2005, 03:02 PM

How about writing in English. I had to read your post 3 times before half of it made any sense. I believe we should ban the use of a fullstop (.) used in a sentence like that. It looks really bad. and is hard to understand. Next Time in English!
He was using English ...

vicmeldrew
26th March 2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by zefi@Mar 26 2005, 06:38 PM
He was using English ...
I think he means WASP.

geektechnu
26th March 2005, 07:10 PM
:thumbup: Thanks gelfire

Prebinding, huh? Sorta like WinXP's "prefetch" optimisation or something?
I wasn't hoping that it was defragging - I just find it more annoying than defragging, because defragging is no longer a big issue under NTFS.

I still think fairy1 should sit tight and go with Apple. It just simply the best all round solution. PC laptops tend to concentrate heavily on one area, letting flaws slip into other areas where costs have been cut. Example:

- Laptop X is really small (but has no drives or firewire)
- ... is really light (but the battery runs flat in less than 2 hours)
- ... is really fast (but will burn your lap after an hour)
- ... is really versatile (but weighs in at 4kg+)

Apple doesn't have heaps of different laptops on offer - just a cheap option (iBook), a powerful option (PB), and each in Small, Regular & Large varieties:

"I'll have a small iBook combo to go thanks... No I don't want fries with that..." :lol:

I suppose that this leads to higher quality because more work goes into hardware integration & optimisation. This equals a better end product for consumers.

fairy1
26th March 2005, 07:21 PM
ibook i had a look at that instore however i seriously coudnt stop looking at the elegant design of the PB. Originally i was opting for the pb g4 12 inch however when i saw the 15 inch. I was like WOW that looks COOL so therfore never looked back at the ibook :D but it definetly is set at an affordable price for a good machine.

I knwo i ddid say my needs will be basic however liek someone was mentioning earlier im sure my pc behaviour will change. Plus i guess i would prefer buying the best so i wont regret anything cos trust me im not planning on buying another laptop down the track . AND I HOPEEE THE PB G4 wont look outdated! :unsure:

But to be honest i have not looked around at other lappys i have only focused my "market research" on apple. Because i have been using a pc for a long time and have never really used a mac.

Its true i mean i guess you have to look after your machine so it runs properly.
But do any of you look after your PB g4 in terms of how you would look after a PC to avoid it from crashing???

I'm also a bit worried with the keyboard layout looking at the pictures there is no directional arrows. Wats the equivalent keys.

SO im hoping to be a very happy owner of this very cool machine on saturday.

it will be very interesting i wreckon, especially trying to figure out how to find the programs because when i went to have a look around at the PB g4's i was puzzled as to where the HELL is the programs :blink: then i was told about the DOCK . STill dont know much about the dock, but what i have figured is that you can put any prgrams in there :blink:

so i'm presuming there is no START like windows?

:D im actually excited to figure it out!
if any one can explain anything further incase i have no idea what i'm talking about do shout.

and i will post a picture of my desktop like most of you have!

McMullet
26th March 2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by zzmad@Mar 26 2005, 02:39 PM

see ya ....
They teach this subject in schools right around Australia now. It's called English. You should try attending some time.

fairy1
26th March 2005, 08:01 PM
hey geektechu nicely put. IM GOING WITH THE POWERBOOK g4 15 inch ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD I HOPE THE COMMING WEEK IS FASTT IF ONLY WE HAD MORE HOLIDAYS :D

any cool wallpaper sites post em up! and anything i need to know let me know and other newbies THANKS EVERY1 :thumbup: for all ya input! ;)

zefi
26th March 2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by McMullet@Mar 26 2005, 07:48 PM
They teach this subject in schools right around Australia now. It's called English. You should try attending some time.
That is such an unnecessary comment ...

(Ironically, so is this one!)

964RSCS
26th March 2005, 09:15 PM
hey fairy1, good choice!! I like your thinking!! :thumbup:

The only "maintenence" I do is the software updates.

Direction arrows - bottom right of keyboard.

McMullet
26th March 2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by zefi@Mar 26 2005, 08:17 PM
That is such an unnecessary comment ...

(Ironically, so is this one!)
Sorry, but I had next to no idea what he was going on about and reading it was quite frustrating. If no one understands what you are trying to say, then the point is lost, isn't it?

Let's get back to the topic at hand.

geektechnu
26th March 2005, 11:37 PM
fairy1, if you're totally new to the whole mac thing, just start by reading the booklet that comes with it.

The basics are really very simple. But you should try to clear your mind of PC-like thoughts, because there are some things that will take a little getting used to.

Over time you'll find that behind the simple interface there is a lot of functionality. Stick with this forum and you should find that every now and then the mac will surprise you with some cool feature that you didn't realise was there.

It's like learning from scratch, except that its easier the second time round... and it has a better view :)

Kreats
27th March 2005, 12:58 AM
Wonder if they will alter the ibook line in the next hardware bump (seems to be april?)

If so, maybe hold off a month before purchase?

fairy1
27th March 2005, 10:36 AM
hahahhaha kreats! hold off till april . I've been holding off since feb .

Jimbo
27th March 2005, 01:42 PM
i work for intel as a marketing rep for Centrino, and let me tell you, the centrino lets say 2.0ghz, which is the fastest available to the public as of this writing, and lets get a powerbook g4 1.67ghz, right, centrino, obviously is faster if they both did the same processing!

Intel's M processor is designed as a compromise between power and battery life... a pentium 4 2.0ghz is much quicker (believe me i work with all three) than its centrino counterpart.

Yes the centrino has a long battery life, in writing, but my dads 14" pb G4 1.25ghz, runs way longer than my work centrino 1.6. for general stuff.

Centrino is small, small, compared to the pentium 4 notebooks! compare it to a powerbook, and notice which is smaller.
the only thing that a centrino notebook has going for it is that intel make everything but the video on the motherboard, so you know its all gonna work... but macs don't really have this problem.

cut you losses and get the pb you won't regret it.
I do not recommend getting a centrino over a powerbook, any day!

geektechnu
27th March 2005, 02:00 PM
I'm sure Jimbo will agree that the problem with Centrino is that laptop manufacturers are free to make decisions regarding other hardware in the machine. Often the some pieces of extra hardware can offset the benefits of Centrino.

Centrino is basically Mobile Pentium 4 + Intel's wireless LAN solution. Put in a powerful video chipset and you start to lose battery life, gain additional heat. Put in more drives and the laptop starts tipping 4kgs.

I've yet to see a PC vendor that has put together a hardware combo as tightly intergrated as Apple's - that is as good looking as Apple's - that is as cost effective as Apple's. Intel doesn't dictate every piece of hardware in a Centrino laptop - you get more options, but at the cost of the quality of the entire package.

MacPC
27th March 2005, 02:34 PM
At work I have an IBM R50 1.5GHz Centrino based laptop with 1GB ram. Overall it is a great little laptop, but with some really annoying quirks:

- use any USB based optical mouse on anything other than a mouse pad and the mouse pointer decides to jump from one side of the screen to the other :angry:, not particularly great when I am doing graphic design
- 4:3 screen aspect not as good as 16:9 for watching DVD's :lol:
- speed compared to the P4 is not as good, although aparently the sonoma based centrinos just released by Intel are far better
- legacy ports (serial, parallel) which in this modern USB/Firewire age is such a waste of space when additional USB/Firewire ports would have been a lot more useful!

As for the powerbook, also pluses and minuses:

- slower than their PC equivalents and still not G5 based :(
- 15 & 17" versions are 16:9 :thumbup:
- gaming on these machines is nowhere as good as PC (if you are interested in this)
- more aesthetically pleasing :thumbup:
- current, more secure than Windows PC

If you are not needing pcmcia cards for expandability and can rely upon USB/Firewire devices for this then I would go the iBook. Far better value for money whilst Powerbooks are still G4 based.

fairy1
28th March 2005, 07:17 PM
guess the powerbook will last me for a long long time. Its got all the features i need plus it looks good and thin not bulky

the first thing ill be doing is installing mac office and typing up my essay ..

whats that thing called where you press a button and all the windows tile up to size and u can like look at one window and type on the othere i.e im looking at a website and im typing on doc plus u can have more windows open too ..

so yeh straight to work, or maybe just do it on friday and figure out the lappy on saturday

kit
29th March 2005, 10:28 AM
fairy1, that's Exposť; press F9 for all windows, F10 for the windows in one particular app, and F11 to hide them all, to get to the desktop.

And MacPC, the PowerBooks aren't in 16:9; the 12" is 4:3, and the other two are in 16:10 (well 16:10.675). You still don't get native res for DVDs. Just much much closer.

fairy1
31st March 2005, 08:15 PM
thanks kit.

1 more day to go i hope they dont say ohhh sorry we have no stock cos i told them i will be comming in on saturday...

hmmmm i wont be happy if they turn around and say the edu discount is not valid for u. Cos i have to bring my student card , and it expires in 2006 so it is valid..

well they have approved it so im getting the pb on edu discounted price. I just hope nothing goes wrong cos my account manager is not workng in that store nemore ahhh

X_RuLeZ
4th April 2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Mar 27 2005, 01:42 PM
Intel's M processor is designed as a compromise between power and battery life... a pentium 4 2.0ghz is much quicker (believe me i work with all three) than its centrino counterpart.
I hope you are not trying to say that a 2GHz Pentium 4 would outperform a 2Ghz Pentium M... because that would be totally wrong. Forgive me if I misunderstood you though.

//Back to topic...
I would go with everyone here... the build quality, design, and OS combination of a Powerbook/iBook cannot be beat by any current Intel based laptop.

spargo
4th April 2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by X_RuLeZ@Apr 4 2005, 05:37 PM
I would go with everyone here... the build quality, design, and OS combination of a Powerbook/iBook cannot be beat by any current Intel based laptop.
That's the spirit X_RuLeZ!!

My advice to fairy1 and any other new or potential Switchers to Apple Portables would be to take a look through the AppleTalk Forums using the Search tool in the menu bar to the left of the site, and run some searches for old posts/threads about PowerBooks & iBooks.. You'll find a huge listing of old threads discussing issues and tips for the Apple Portables, and probably read plenty of things you never knew about these great little machines..

Mine is now 9 months old and has been nothing short of brilliant - and with the extra 1 Gig of RAM I have just added (thanks to the top prices at ATAU site supporters epowermac (http://www.epowermac.com.au)), it absolutely flies!!!

You might also find it useful to read through or print out this thread here (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=79), which is a pinned topic in the Mac OS X & Apple Software forum which site users have been slowly adding to with some great tips for using OS X - even the most experienced user of the OS will find something here, and it is a great read for any new user to Mac OS X in the first few days of getting that new machine.

I hope it all goes well Fairy1, oh and make sure you read the info on the Apple site on how to properly charge up and maintain your laptop battery (http://www.apple.com.au/batteries/notebooks.html) - this is quite important if you want it to last..

fairy1
6th April 2005, 08:06 PM
hey thanks for the tip spargo! i read about the battery calibiration but i needed a reminder apparently stock has dried out so im waiting for a pb g4 :D lol

hilerious isn't it? i mean so many people want these cool laptops but there is no stock in the whole of Australia. Hilerious na seriously it is :thumbdn: :P

fairy1
7th April 2005, 08:08 PM
GUESS WAT!!! I WILL BE ABLE TO PURCHASE MY POWERBOOK THIS WEEKEND! :D TO BAD I GOTTA STUDY FOR A LAW EXAM WELL ITS OPEN BOOK I THINK ILL JUST READ IT AND THEN CHECK OUT MYLAPTOP ALL I NEED NOW IS BROADBAND IM GOING TO GO WITH IPRIMUS!

OZI EDIT: GUESS WAT!!! I know how to disable a Capslock key. :) As a bright Law student, I'm sure you can do the same. That or you will sue me for editing your post.

happymakinggames
8th April 2005, 10:48 PM
(Sorry, it's a long post, and I notice you've made your choice already, but I hope this has some redeeming features!)

Ok, my laptop history, in order of purchase:
2000/07 IBM Thinkpad T20 (P3/700, 1024x768, S3IX/8, 192MB),
2002/?? IBM Thinkpad A31 (P4/1.6, 1400x1050, ATI7500/32, 512MB),
2003/09 IBM Thinkpad T40p (PM/1.6, 1400x1050, ATI9000/64, 768MB),
2004/04 Apple PB 17" (G4/1.33, 1400x900, ATI9600/64, 512MB),
2004/07 Apple PB 15" (G5/1.5, 1280x854, ATI9700/128, 1GB).

The IBM Thinkpad T40p was a Centrino type CPU, very quick with excellent battery life, much better battery life than either of the Apples.

The screen on the IBM Thinkpad A31 was better than the T40p (it was also 15") but both Apple displays (and especially the 17") are much better.

Both Apples have been far more reliable than any of the Thinkpads, it's a MacOSX vs. Windows thing, the Thinkpad hardware is very good. MacOSX is simply a better system (don't take this as a Troll.), I have not lost any files, had any harddrive corruptions or wasted time administering my machines, besides software updates.
I must also say that I never had any virus or spyware problems with Windows, it's quite easy to protect yourself from them. I also didn't have to "ritually defrag my drive". Don't get me wrong about Windows, it's all good and fine, but MacOSX is just that little bit better (and just wait until you get your handas on Tiger! Wow!)

The Powerbooks start up from sleep mode in an instant, the T40p took quite some time.

Drive performance is better on the Powerbooks, a 5400RPM in the Thinkpad is about the same as a 4200RPM in a Powerbook (I 'tested' this, see http://www.happymakinggames.com/switch/comparison.html )

Performance, well, in my opinion a 1.5GHz G4 seems about the same as a 1.6GHz P-M. Some CPU intensive work seemed to be faster on the T40p, probably due to the fact that many applications are not optimised for PPC/MacOSX. I find scrolling of text to be slower in MacOSX. UT2004 runs about the same on the T40p and 1.5GHz PB.

Word, Excel, web design applications, Photoshop all run well. When you get used to all the keyboard shortcuts in MacOSX your productivity will soar!

Anyway, most of these performance things are subjective, does it matter if a compile takes 4 minutes instead of 3.5? As a graphics application programmer I am much more productive on my Powerbook than I ever was on my Thinkpads.

I originally wanted to switch at the time I bought the T40p but it didn't happen then. I finally half-switched to the PB17", then fully to the PB15". I am not looking back, never (never say never...) making a move away from MacOSX. This long-time Windows user hasn't been this happy with a computer since the Amiga!

If you (or anyone) _has_ to buy a Windows laptop, then I can recommend the IBM range. I've dropped them, friends have flooded them, I've dropped heavy metal on them, they survived them all. Not the prettiest of laptops, but built like tanks.

Have lots of fun with your Powerbook!

fairy1
9th April 2005, 07:54 AM
thanks everyone! for providing me with the comparisons.

Today I apparently will be able to purchase my pb. If i do get it! i willpost up the pics on my website .

Its gona be an an interesting day....

geektechnu
9th April 2005, 08:43 AM
The Powerbooks start up from sleep mode in an instant, the T40p took quite some time.
Does anyone know if Macs suspend to RAM or suspend to HDD?

I have a feeling a lot of windows users are using the "hibernate" feature -which actually sucks quite a bit. Most PCs made in the last 5+ years should support suspend to RAM.

I know for one that my PC wakes up from sleep in a little over 5 seconds. Hibernation is significantly slower (around 20secs) as data needs to be copied from HDD back into RAM.

Squozen
9th April 2005, 08:54 AM
The Mac just stops most brain activity - there's no copying to HDD.

happymakinggames
9th April 2005, 10:58 AM
The Thinkpads were just "suspending" not "hibernating". I just shut the lid on them all and opened up a minute later.

Also try this: close your Powerbook, wait for the white sleep light to come on, turn it over, remove the battery, wait a few seconds, re-insert battery, open Powerbook. You should be where you left off. IE: you can swap batteries on a Powerbook without shutting it down!

fairy1
9th April 2005, 03:53 PM
ive got my powerbook! finally and it looks mad at the moment im calibirating the battery so haven't turned it on.

i also brought a logitec mouse cordless Click! Plus optical mouse its dark grey with a silver button on it looks nice.

fairy1
9th April 2005, 07:37 PM
everything looks cool but i got a dead pixel in my screen! and i dont know wat i should do., i think im gona return it for another one

the_cripple
9th April 2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by fairy1@Apr 9 2005, 07:37 PM
everything looks cool but i got a dead pixel in my screen! and i dont know wat i should do., i think im gona return it for another one
Don't like your chances of that. Your best bet would be to check out apple.com.au and see what they say about the matter as i'm pretty sure you need more then 1.

happymakinggames
9th April 2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by fairy1@Apr 9 2005, 07:37 PM

I've had 2 laptops with this: my old T40p and my current PB15", as well as my work desktop Dell 18" LCD.
I was lucky in all 3 cases: each pixel was near a screen edge, and after a week I didn't notice anymore. A colleague has one on a PB12" near an edge, also brand new.

You really need more than several dead pixels for a replacement.

Where is the pixel?

(edit: removed the double quote)

fairy1
9th April 2005, 11:53 PM
one dead pixie near theright hand side in the samr column as the macintosh HD its a blue dot. can nething be done? p.s people how do u maximise safari im using it in a small minimised version LOL

happymakinggames
10th April 2005, 12:06 AM
So the pixel is about 1 inch from the right side of the screen, top, middle or bottom?

Most likely nothing will be done about that. You can of course try to return it for exchange, "I'm not happy with this one, I want another one!"... It might work, you never know.

Safari: uhm, it likes to maximise vertically (for me) only. Try grabbing the bottom right corner of the window and dragging it to the size you want! ;)

fairy1
10th April 2005, 12:11 AM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=22194

thanks but u know wat apparently its normal for our laptops to have a dead pixel im not so fussed but i will call nextbyte neway but u know i wreckopn ill end up getting a pb that has more then 1 dead pixel i think ill live with this but i will mention it to the reseller.

p.s read the link it will explain the rest

thanks for the tip the pb looks awesom

suryo
10th April 2005, 05:14 AM
A dead pixel is white. Since yours is blue, it's probably a stuck pixel. Apparently you can get rid of it by massaging it very gently wih a stylus or something. There was a thread that mentioned it here about a week ago.

fairy1
10th April 2005, 01:40 PM
wow thanks i will try searching for that thread

fairy1
10th April 2005, 02:15 PM
i tried that technique but dont know its blue i think ill just leave it ahh oh well