PDA

View Full Version : Optical not working?

osxdude
4th April 2008, 09:49 AM
I wanted to plug in my Mac mini via optical, as there is a 5.1 surround system, well, surrounding me. I can't get the full surround unless I use an optical cable...but the receiver, an old Denon AVR-65 will not "lock" onto the signal. I do not know the optical specifications for it, so I cannot correctly tune the Audio MIDI Setup settings to get the receiver to lock on to the optical signal.

What am I doing wrong?

(P.S.: I'm a new user here...just so you have refrence)

astr0b0y
4th April 2008, 10:03 AM
I will assume you have plugged in the correct optical cable....
Have you made sure that in the Sound Preferences that you have set audio output to Optical? Even if you have done this, you may also have to tell the application you are using to play back the media that you want it to use this output. In Audio MIDI setup, I would suggest setting the output to 44.1kHz.

Brains
4th April 2008, 10:24 AM
osxdude: you have to push the mini-TOSlink connector really firmly into the combo-audio socket until it clicks. If the cable isn't firmly seated all the way in (and there's no 'live' optical device on the other side) then the optical output doesn't activate. The connector is quite stiff, and requires some force, but you also have to be careful not to bend the cable as you do so or you'll get a kink.

If you open Audio MID Setup, you can keep an eye on the status of your optical audio.

osxdude
5th April 2008, 11:12 AM
Hrm, well, the cable is firmly in on both sides.. and there is that red lihgt coming through the receiver end of the cable.

Ok, well there is 2ch-16bit and 2ch-20bit and 2ch-24bit and "Encoded Digital Audio" options in Audio MIDI setup. Would this at all affect the signal?

Brains
5th April 2008, 11:44 AM
if your receiver supports 5.1, then as soon as your Mac detects a signal via the optical connector "5.1 Digital Audio" should appear in that list.

if that item does not appear, there's only really two possible scenarios: the cable is not seated correctly, or the optical transceiver at the back of the combo-port is not functioning.

osxdude
13th April 2008, 05:33 AM
Meh, it'y MY week old thread.

It's optical OUT that's not working from the Mac. But the receiver's transceiver might be broken....

DJY
13th April 2008, 07:02 AM
Have you tried another Optical IN port on your Denon (if it has more than one)?

I have a Mac mini and a Denon AVR2800 and get great DD 5.1

From memory after I had told the Denon that my new VCR was optical (thats the port I used on my Denon for the purpose of my remote... I then needed to tweak some software on my Mac mini.

I did it ages ago - but from memory there was either a funny setting in VLC or Quicktime to tell it to use Optical for Audio.

Are you getting ANY sound - or not just DD5.1?

osxdude
15th May 2008, 11:02 AM
I'm not getting any sound, but I've noticed that the cable I'm using is a little loose in the slot.The Mac Mini's slot, that is.

And it's the optical RECEIVER that is having problems. Not the Mini's transceiver.

furious
15th May 2008, 12:48 PM
If you are getting a connection the speakers will show up in System preferences>Sound>output. If no no sound. Try a new cable. Are there any other optical out receivers you can try?