PDA

View Full Version : Who's in my Entourage...

groovemike
3rd April 2008, 09:30 PM
This is a question to all those who've experienced that lovely application Entourage...

From a project you create tasks and these tasks, wierdly enough, do not list themselves in your calender. Only events. Apparently, Apple thinks that Entourage users do not do tasks, but only attend events.

Sadly, Ive researched this and the current 2008 version of Entourage doesnt have the facility of seeing your Tasks in your Calender.

My question is.... What do ya'll use? I've had a gander at iCal and trawled through lifehacker.com and 43things.com with no love.

Is there some amazing software out there in the ether for us Mac users that allows us to organise out lives?

Any help appreciated.

Mike:D

denwol
3rd April 2008, 09:32 PM
tasks come up in the to do list next to the calender

groovemike
3rd April 2008, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I know that my friend, however, thats just like a sticky note next to my computer screen. As you can assign when the task needs to get done, why doesn't it slot into the Calender like a good little application should. Alas.

richbowen
3rd April 2008, 09:58 PM
From a project you create tasks and these tasks, wierdly enough, do not list themselves in your calender. Only events. Apparently, Apple thinks that Entourage users do not do tasks, but only attend events.

Mike, some things that might help:

- I think the software makers distinguish between "tasks" and "events" ... "tasks" can have due dates and reminder dates in the same way that "events" have due/reminder dates, but tasks sit outside the calendar
- so if you want to treat tasks as events, then maybe just put them into the calendar in the first place?
- Entourage is made by Microsoft, not Apple ... the equivalent Apple programs are Mail / iCal / Address Book
- In Apple's iCal the terminology is To Do's ... but they sit outside the calendar the same as Entourage

forgie
3rd April 2008, 10:19 PM
Interestingly enough, if you set a due date for a todo item in iCal, it does show up in the calendar.

richbowen
3rd April 2008, 10:32 PM
Where does it show up? In the calendar pane, or as a date in the To Do pane?

I can't get it to appear in the calendar pane. I can't see anything in iCal prefs?

konni
3rd April 2008, 11:48 PM
After giving what I thought was a fair go to iCal/Mail I went back to Entourage where I seriously toyed with Tasks and Projects. Yech! I just don't bother with those parts of Entourage.

I use the E-Calendar for tracking everything - business/family/social (color coded). My routine has become a simple kick start every day - I get alerted by an event for whatever essential I have to do or remember. So I'm now in the habit of making one-off and recurring events for everything. Then I use the snooze function to push some items to a later time slot and if necessary I transfer items from the Calendar to my mobile in the morning or at end of day. (I wish the transfer could be automated).

It's kind of a pathetic habit in that it probably doesn't do much to enhance the acuity of my memory - but at least I don't fail to show-up, follow-up or get a job done, which has happened in the past.

Recurring events are very useful for regular client work as i just keep adding notes, sometimes referring to other documents/emails - so this builds up as a kind of history over time. Theoretically the Project feature is supposed to facilitate that kind of linking but in practise I found it cumbersome - too big a geek-gap for me.