PDA

View Full Version : .mac account is extremely sloooowwwww

GeoffP
3rd April 2008, 08:15 PM
Hi all,
I have been trying out the demo version of .mac and while the idea seems fine, the speed of the web site access has always been very slow.
It is definitely not my internet connection because I can open other web pages (both in Oz and O/S) with good speed whilst at the same time the .mac pages are dribbling down...
Has anyone else had speed issues with .mac??

El Guardo
3rd April 2008, 08:20 PM
Everyone else has been having the same issues for about five or six years now. It's standard....

GeoffP
3rd April 2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks,
Not bashing .mac as it looks like a useful site - BUT, why would you pay a premium for a frustratingly slow site.
I just can't see the value for money - speed is everything these days, everyone has ample bandwidth. I sure won't be joining .mac with these speed issues.
Anyway, thanks for the heads up..

El Guardo
3rd April 2008, 08:28 PM
.Mac has the advantage of effectively being integrated into the OS - which for those unfamiliar with computers or Macs means that they can almost enjoy one button simplicity with a lot of the features it offers.

But if my memory serves me correctly, you can access your iDisk via Panic Software's Transmit at speeds that are limited only by your ISP connection speed. That is, significantly faster. Which is a shame because .Mac is a handy product. Do a search of these forums and the internet in general and you'll come across an untold number of pleas for Apple to fix the service - as well as a current initiative for developers to provide an equally compelling but faster alternative.

woofy
9th April 2008, 11:23 PM
I was given a .mac subscription for a year...and found it pretty useful...but yeah the speed is embarrassing

SRG
9th April 2008, 11:29 PM
well you pay because like me tonight...I bring a new Macbook Air home, throw my .mac info in and say Sync.

A little while later I have a nearly ready to go computer with all my settings.

Lachie
9th April 2008, 11:39 PM
would they throttle the speeds for a trial? seems like suicide realy, but with the amount of free accounts out there they must do it to keep bandwidth low.

woofy
9th April 2008, 11:56 PM
nah I'd say its just the normal slowness...

El Guardo
10th April 2008, 01:32 PM
would they throttle the speeds for a trial?

No. Only Comcast tries to slow down some of the 'tubes...

motorwayne
12th April 2008, 04:30 PM
Whats a good alternative to .Mac then?

iPirate
12th April 2008, 04:46 PM
Notmac? (http://sourceforge.net/projects/notmac)

El Guardo
12th April 2008, 11:18 PM
Whats a good alternative to .Mac then?

There is no 'good' alternative. Yet...

sammyo91
13th April 2008, 07:22 PM
Notmac? (http://sourceforge.net/projects/notmac)

If there was a hosting service with NotMac already installed on it that you could pay for, that would be the best alternative.

Yeah .Mac is always slow, which is why I'll be ending my account this year

rob05
13th April 2008, 07:27 PM
Hi all,
I have been trying out the demo version of .mac and while the idea seems fine, the speed of the web site access has always been very slow.
It is definitely not my internet connection because I can open other web pages (both in Oz and O/S) with good speed whilst at the same time the .mac pages are dribbling down...
Has anyone else had speed issues with .mac??

May I ask how do you access .mac?

I have no problems with speed using most of what is has via Transmit.

I can upload say a 15mb file in around approx 1 min or less.

bennettnz
13th April 2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah it's bloody slow, but like others have said -use an ftp program like transmit and it seems faster to do it that way.

melbmac
13th April 2008, 08:28 PM
Yes it's slow, but I love the service so I'll be keeping mine for sure.

rob05
13th April 2008, 08:29 PM
I have tried via the web browsers eg: Firefox and Camino and Safari and a snail could do thing faster.

The ftp apps give more direct access via webdav and will always be the best way to go.