PDA

View Full Version : Help: Can't connect to internet via airport (Optus DSL Direct Power)

rachel135
3rd April 2008, 04:41 PM
Hi all....
I need some help, I can't seem to connect to the internet with my macbook
I use the Optus 'yes' DSL direct power and use D-Link DSL-320G modem connected to the D-Link Dl-624 wireless router.
When I first started using it,the internet worked for a few days in my mac. after 2 weeks, it just stops working.
I tried to go to the apple center and see if something wrong with my airport, but they said it was ok, nothing is wrong with my airport, I can still connect via wireless in my friend's house with mac, but not in my own house.
I really don't know what the problem is. I've tried playing with the network diagnostic (I have no idea what DHCP or PPPoE and other stuff...), but still doesn't work. I'm really new at this things...
The weird thing is that I can connect to the internet via wireless in my windows.
Does it matter if I have windows in my mac?
Help me!!!

pardon for my bad english...

WonderBoy
3rd April 2008, 05:15 PM
By "Windows" on your Mac, I'm assuming you have Windows as a bootcamp partition. I.e. you need to restart to get into Windows and restart again to get back to Mac. If so, this should have nothing to do with your problem.

Can you give us more information about the wireless not working? Can you see your wireless network in the AirPort menu (the pizza wedge looking icon on the top right of your screen)? Could it be a hidden network? If so, try selecting "Join Other Network..." from the AirPort menu and typing in exactly the name of the network (if you're unsure, see what it's called when you're successfully using it in Windows).

rachel135
3rd April 2008, 05:30 PM
By "Windows" on your Mac, I'm assuming you have Windows as a bootcamp partition. I.e. you need to restart to get into Windows and restart again to get back to Mac. If so, this should have nothing to do with your problem.

Can you give us more information about the wireless not working? Can you see your wireless network in the AirPort menu (the pizza wedge looking icon on the top right of your screen)? Could it be a hidden network? If so, try selecting "Join Other Network..." from the AirPort menu and typing in exactly the name of the network (if you're unsure, see what it's called when you're successfully using it in Windows).

yes, i have windows as a bootcamp partition, thank u for the words...:D

Oh yeah, i can see the wireless network, it looks like it's working with the signal and all, but i can't seem to open any webpage either in firefox or safari. It'll always says "you're not connected with the internet", whilst the wireless icon shows the strong signal, seems like i'm connected. I've tried the "join other network", still the same not working.
I've tried to use the network diagnostics and it always ended up with try reconecting your modem.....

is there anything to do with the IPv4,IPv6 or all the proxies thing?

help much appreciated!:)

WonderBoy
3rd April 2008, 05:50 PM
Can you connect your Mac via ethernet? If so, then go into Network in system preferences and note all the settings. Then put those settings into the AirPort settings section. It will probably use straight DHCP.

rachel135
4th April 2008, 04:05 PM
Can you connect your Mac via ethernet? If so, then go into Network in system preferences and note all the settings. Then put those settings into the AirPort settings section. It will probably use straight DHCP.

Yay! it works! thank u soo... much!!!
but i have another problem though, I can open webpages for about five to ten minutes then the page won't load, so i have to restart the airport every five to ten minutes. is this the settings prob or the wireless?

Thanks!

joannebris
5th April 2008, 09:45 AM
i had a similiar problem with my imac. everything worked fine in the shop [bought used imac] but when i got home i could not connect to the internet. i have optus broadband, and the problem was that the optus modem wasn't up to the job basically [e.g. could not support my external airport extreme base]. the technician from the shop came to fix problem at my house [$40.00 call out fee] - he sold me a D-link 3 in 1 router and it works just fine [after initial setting up]. an extra bonus is there are now less wires. anyway, hope this helps! ps: love this site

krafty
5th April 2008, 09:58 AM
i had a similiar problem with my imac. everything worked fine in the shop [bought used imac] but when i got home i could not connect to the internet. i have optus broadband, and the problem was that the optus modem wasn't up to the job basically [e.g. could not support my external airport extreme base]. the technician from the shop came to fix problem at my house [$40.00 call out fee] - he sold me a D-link 3 in 1 router and it works just fine [after initial setting up]. an extra bonus is there are now less wires. anyway, hope this helps! ps: love this site

looks like the tech sold you something because he was unable to configure the original modem. Most cases like this are due o the fact the tech doesn't know how to configure a set brand of modem but can set up other brands easily, thus he will say your original modem is rooted & sell you something to make his life easier.