PDA

View Full Version : Help starting Time Machine up from scratch

rickyd
3rd April 2008, 03:03 PM
Aloha.

I have a new MacBook Pro, migrated all my data across from my Time Machine drive, but should I not be able to start over from my previous backups? Time Machine is trying to backup my whole entire system again. I thought it would just do another incremental backup as it was the last machine.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Ricky.

tcn33
3rd April 2008, 03:17 PM
Unless you've done a complete restore from Time Machine onto your new MBP, there will be differences - therefore TM thinks/knows it's a different Mac. AFAIK you can't merge backups of a prior Mac with those of a new Mac.

rickyd
3rd April 2008, 03:24 PM
Unless you've done a complete restore from Time Machine onto your new MBP, there will be differences - therefore TM thinks/knows it's a different Mac. AFAIK you can't merge backups of a prior Mac with those of a new Mac.

Do you know how I go about merging them?

Ricky.

tcn33
3rd April 2008, 03:26 PM
AFAIK you can't merge backups of a prior Mac with those of a new Mac.
uh, no I don't.

edit: Seems like this (http://duncandavidson.com/2008/01/restoring-from-time-machine.html) might be your only recourse, but I don't know if I'd do it. Much better to pull the files you need from your TM backup, put them onto your new Mac and then run a complete, new TM backup from scratch.

Currawong
3rd April 2008, 06:50 PM
If you've restored from Time Machine entirely, there's no way to continue backing up as if nothing had happened. What's going on is, every folder has an ID number, which, when you re-create your system, are assigned from scratch. This borks Time Machine, so it has to start from scratch again as if it were a new computer.

tcn33
3rd April 2008, 07:07 PM
Oh, so you can't restore from a TM sparseimage and then keep using that sparseimage? It seems stupid that once you have used Time Machine for one of its major stated purposes, you can no longer use that Time Machine backup.

rickyd
3rd April 2008, 07:20 PM
Oh, so you can't restore from a TM sparseimage and then keep using that sparseimage? It seems stupid that once you have used Time Machine for one of its major stated purposes, you can no longer use that Time Machine backup.

Yeah!