PDA

View Full Version : Adium - add an emoticon for a friend using MSN?

Blue Water Boy
2nd April 2008, 08:47 PM
hey guys

is there anyway to add an emoticon that a friend is using in msn to adium???

thanks

lurka
2nd April 2008, 08:54 PM
Mercury messenger. (http://www.mercury.im/)...

get video chat as well as emoticons

As far as I have seen playing with Adium .... nope, you can change emotiocon sets but custom ones I havent seen on there, hence the suggestion to try murcury , that will give you the option of seeing the quirky emoticons and allow you to use video chat lacking in adium......

eidlog_007
2nd April 2008, 09:00 PM
Yep - preferences, appearance, then there's an emoticon thingy that you can add lots of different sets

:)

dinoo
2nd April 2008, 09:00 PM
He asked about adium, not for another client.

To the OP, i don't think that feature is available, unfortunately, have tried looking before to no avail.

Goodluck, hopefully someone knows a way.

dinoo
2nd April 2008, 09:03 PM
Yep - preferences, appearance, then there's an emoticon thingy that you can add lots of different sets

:)

Yeah, this works for an icon set, but there are some icons that people use that, in wlm, you could right click and add to your library. I think this is what the OP is looking for.

Blue Water Boy
3rd April 2008, 09:54 AM
exactly!

gries
9th October 2008, 02:24 AM
Hello an greetings from the second australia where noch cangoroos live.. (austria/vienna)

I was looking for a solution like many other adium users and this was the first thread I found with google so I'll post my dirty but working solution here.

howto add a msn emoteicon in adium:

1. go into the folder
/Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/Emoticons/MSN.AdiumEmoticonset

you do that by opening a finder window go to applications then right-click adium and select "show package contents" to get into the folder MSN.AdiumEmoticonset you do the same here.

2. if you made it into that folder, copy all the emoteicons you want in here, i tested png and gif I dont know if other filetypes work to.

3. double click the file Emoteicons.plist, an editor opens with a list of icons.

4. click on "Emoteicons" and press "New Child", a new object in the list should apprear,
you have to name it like your image file, Example: "uluru.png"
now you have to change the type from "string" to "Dictionary".
after that click on it and create a child call it "Equivalents" make this a "Dictionairy" too.
click on it and create another child call it "0", this one has to be Class "string" and as value you enter the text wich should display the emoteicon like (uluru).

now save the file quit adium double click the file "MSN.AdiumEmoticonset" in /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/Emoticons/ and start adium the emoteicon should work now.

I hope I was able to help some adium users out there.