PDA

View Full Version : Connect New Computer to Existing Time Machine Backup

swhitty
2nd April 2008, 08:03 PM
My wife started using time machine a few weeks ago after the airport/time machine update was released.

The Time machine backup excluded system files.

So This week her new Macbook Air arrives. I used migration assistant to restore her files from a time machine backup. Everything with her profile was fine except Time Machine was turned off on the Macbook Air.

This is where I run into a problem. When I enable Time Machine on the Macbook Air it wants to create a new backup on the Airdisk backing up the 40GB of data again to a new sparsebundle on the Airdisk.

Is it possible to point Time Machine to the existing sparsebundle on the Airdisk and get it to continue backing up to that bundle so I don't have to resend the 40GB of data again?

swhitty
4th April 2008, 08:29 AM
There is a Mac OS X Hint that does this with Non Airdisk Backups;

macosxhints.com - 10.5: Repair Time Machine after logic board changes (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080128003716101)

I've attempted this with my AirDisk Backup and I can't get it to work. Does anyone know what type data is the contents of the .macaddress file on the Time Machine disk?

leon
5th January 2010, 07:12 AM
Resurrecting an old thread to say that I just did this to transfer the Time Machine backups from my Macbook to my Mac Pro.
The Macbook had a different computer name to the Mac Pro so I'm hoping that doesn't cause any conflicts. So far everything seems to be working smoothly.