PDA

View Full Version : What will you do when PCs get OSX?

meinrosebud
2nd April 2008, 06:23 PM
One of the major reasons that I switched to a Mac mini was the elegant OSX and it's inbuilt security. There is a rumour in the wild iTWire - Apple to release PC version of Leopard in Q3 (http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17413/53/) that OS X for PC will be released by Apple. What will you do if this happens?

I have mixed feelings, it is good that OSX will make the internet a more secure experience for more users but I know that it will then become a greater target for attack so it is a bad thing.

What do you reckon? :confused:

Aaron
2nd April 2008, 06:25 PM
Not going to happen. :)

ilostmypassword
2nd April 2008, 06:25 PM
What do you reckon? :confused:

It would be great. But i doubt it will happen.

decryption
2nd April 2008, 06:26 PM
If it does happen, I will rejoice and head on down to MSY and build my own box and purchase a copy of 10.5 for x86 :D

I would be shocked if it happens though.

mechcon
2nd April 2008, 06:27 PM
I'd be the same as decryption. But for a desktop I'd go custom, and custom the tits out of it. As for a laptop, I'd still go with an Asus. As long as it has fw400 ports, I don't care :D

But yeah, it'll never happen...

Aaron
2nd April 2008, 06:28 PM
And if any of you bothered to read the article, they admit to it being an April Fool's joke :)

mechcon
2nd April 2008, 06:29 PM
Of course it's a joke.. but a good perspective though.... and it's April 2nd.

Domenic
2nd April 2008, 06:29 PM
They wouldn't. At all. Never. Ever.

April Fools? It's April 2nd!

leon
2nd April 2008, 06:32 PM
1) I would probably buy a good jacket as I would be cold - Hell would have frozen over.
2) Be really disappointed that they didn't release OS-X for Cray-1 or Silicon Graphics Octane systems - Come onto Mactalk and bitch about this fact.

MrJesseRoss
2nd April 2008, 06:39 PM
I want to see OSX for the DS.

akaddk
2nd April 2008, 06:53 PM
OMG! OS X with a custom box!

Who said gaming on Mac OS would never take off? :D

fiark
2nd April 2008, 11:40 PM
Edit: Over it.

cosmichobo
3rd April 2008, 12:13 AM
No difference to my world directly.

If it did make OS X more of a target... I'd be pissed. But then, I've been advocating Apple increasing market share for ages, so I guess I'd get over it. :)

zmit
3rd April 2008, 12:43 AM
i think you are also forgetting that america is a day behind us........

but eh.

gehenna
3rd April 2008, 05:10 AM
I'd do much the same as decryption - grab some hardware and see what it can do. But I agree with the majority here - not going to happen. The big thing with Mac is the control of hardware. They have built OS X around the hardware. Windows has plagued the planet because of the ubiquity of drivers for almost any piece of hardware you can get your hands on. Until Mac has that wide reaching library of drivers it's just not viable.

on a side note, god I hate april fools day :)

Aaron
3rd April 2008, 07:10 AM
on a side note, god I hate april fools day :)

Agreed, way to many shitty e-jokes...

iPirate
3rd April 2008, 11:49 AM
If PCs get OS X I hang myself.

Ok, I probably wouldn't unless Apple made ropes.

Ok seriously, I'd just be very pissed off and I'd switch to Linux.

Andrew T Chadwick
6th April 2008, 10:04 PM
Apple went down this road before and after that experience wont be too quick to go down that road again,macintosh clones anyone:p

Johnny Appleseed
6th April 2008, 10:13 PM
The only circumstances under which this would happen are:
(a) Margins on Macs get too thin to make building the boxes worthwhile (looks unlikely at this stage).
(b) Mac market share gets so high that the US Government intervenes and breaks up Apple into hardware & software companies (possible in a decade or three).

rob05
6th April 2008, 10:18 PM
hell will freeze over before it happens if at all or ever

Geoff3DMN
8th April 2008, 02:54 PM
If it happened (and yes I know it won't), I'd rush straight over to my Windows Gaming machine and install OS X on it so I could finally experience some 8800GTS goodness under OS X :D

paronga
9th April 2008, 01:18 PM
actually, i'll still be sitting in a frozen hell, with my MBP.

Even when hell freezes over, apple wont release Os X for Pc's

gehenna
9th April 2008, 01:20 PM
actually, i'll still be sitting in a frozen hell, with my MBP.

Even when hell freezes over, apple wont release Os X for Pc's

with a bit of luck you'll be able to use your mbp as an actual "laptop" without burning yourself while you're sitting in your frozen throne in hell :)

dovla
9th April 2008, 01:23 PM
I have no problems if they release the OS X for PC world.

Then i would build killer system for half the price of the Mac Pro :) chuck all the components in the old G5 case!

Portable wise i would stick to apple.

marc
9th April 2008, 01:33 PM
I'd buy a Mac Pro and MacBook Air.

I can't deal with crap, ugly hardware and I haven't seen any PC desktop or laptop that I'd be happy with.

Brains
9th April 2008, 01:39 PM
If Apple did foolishly release Mac OS X for non-Mac hardware, they'd better make sure that it is 100% compatible with AMD processors, because I won't have a single thing to do with the Inthell monopoly. It'd be the only way I could run MacOS that ran on something other than a PowerPC.

gehenna
9th April 2008, 01:41 PM
If Apple did foolishly release Mac OS X for non-Mac hardware, they'd better make sure that it is 100% compatible with AMD processors, because I won't have a single thing to do with the Inthell monopoly. It'd be the only way I could run MacOS that ran on something other than a PowerPC.

I used to think that way too, until Intel brought out processors that AMD have dropped the ball in competing with.

AnthoMac
9th April 2008, 02:02 PM
Well, has anyone ever considered an MSY inspried Apple Store? Round the back of Nextbyte store are stacks of x86 hardware preloaded with Apple's firmware. The firmware could help companies selling their generic PC components work with Macs (and PCs) and ensure a smooth driverless installation with Apple's quality assurance backing. C'mon people - dual compatibility!

Brains
9th April 2008, 02:13 PM
I used to think that way too, until Intel brought out processors that AMD have dropped the ball in competing with.

Mate, I'd sooner resort to using an abacus than touch anything with an Inthell chip in it.

rickyd
9th April 2008, 02:15 PM
I highly doubt that they will release it for PC. I think Steve remains to enjoy the paradigm of "a tight group of special people use Macs".

Would it be a realistic task to fulfill anyway? The company would just about have to double in several months.

Ricky.

gehenna
9th April 2008, 02:20 PM
Mate, I'd sooner resort to using an abacus than touch anything with an Inthell chip in it.

Wow, that's a pretty strong view. Do you not use an Intel Mac at all? Good on you for sticking to your guns, you're a better man than i :)

stab
9th April 2008, 04:24 PM
Apple is in such a good place at the moment as a 'niche' company with loads of consumer confidence and street cred- I just don't see why they'd risk changing their game plan.

Even diehard wintel heads I know who have given me shit about 'macintrash' for years now have ipods/itunes setups and even the ol white apple stickers on their cheesey beige towers!

Maybe one day when the market changes...

iAlex
9th April 2008, 04:28 PM
Apple would never do that... they like the control.

Bart Smastard
9th April 2008, 04:35 PM
Mourn the passing of Steven Paul Jobs (1955 - ????).

:p