PDA

View Full Version : Need to Auto Restart Airport Internet Connection

Lilith
2nd April 2008, 02:21 PM
My cable internet, routed through an AEBSn to several iMacs, regularly drops out. Here's the Syslog: output, filtered to the very last message at the time of the dropouts:

Mar 31 20:12:49 Chris-Computer configd[41]: rtmsg: error writing to routing socket
Mar 31 20:31:10 Chris-Computer configd[41]: rtmsg: error writing to routing socket
Mar 31 20:49:10 Chris-Computer configd[41]: rtmsg: error writing to routing socket
Mar 31 22:59:14 Chris-Computer configd[41]: rtmsg: error writing to routing socket

[25 others like this]

Apr 2 13:21:50 Chris-Computer configd[41]: rtmsg: error writing to routing socket
Apr 2 13:54:04 Chris-Computer configd[41]: rtmsg: error writing to routing socket
Apr 2 14:38:16 Chris-Computer configd[41]: rtmsg: error writing to routing socket
Apr 2 15:01:21 Chris-Computer configd[41]: rtmsg: error writing to routing socket
Apr 2 15:04:00 Chris-Computer configd[41]: rtmsg: error writing to routing socket

It's a bloody pain. I have given up tweaking my AEBS setup and Sharing / Network in SysPrefs.

Suddenly, I lose connection. Easily restarted: I display the Airport logo in my menu bar so just go their, select my network from the others and presto. For a while.

What I'm looking for now is a way to automate this. I want to write a script to regularly attempt to reconnect as necessary every five minutes. I've gone through all the scriptable apps in the script library and not one appears to allow for this.

Don't get me wrong, I really do know how to put together a decent script, but I just can't seem to find what I need.

All help / suggestions thankfully received!

(BTW: It appears that the "41" above is:

subKey [41] = State:/Network/Interface/en0/Link

from my scutil list if I'm not mistaken. Strange because Airport is on en1.)

rob05
2nd April 2008, 02:27 PM
I was seeing a similar issue and found on apples discussion site that some people had good success with doing a hard reset of the base station. This has so far worked wonders for me.

The only draw back is having to setup the base station again.

Lachie
2nd April 2008, 02:36 PM
just make a back up file of the AEBS settings to compare or restore from later.

Lilith
2nd April 2008, 02:52 PM
Shall do right now!

Where's that ballpoint pen to stick in the hole....

(I've pored over the settings so much I can remember every blessed one of them... :( )

Lilith
2nd April 2008, 04:01 PM
Well here I am back again. No I wasn't so silly as to just do a hard reset and trust to memory. Took the time to use Grab to take a whole bunch of "photos" of each relevant window of the Airport Utility. Gutless I know. Where's the "Yeehaaa" cowboy in us Mac users? :D

I think I actually have a solution, formulated last night but improperly enacted as I just now discovered. Will post again anyway as mysterious dropouts are common enough but amazingly difficult to pinpoint.

(Couple of red herrings came my way. One was a massive amount of "pings" on a certain port I have (in stealth mode) which the Mac OSX Firewall handled nicely. About one per second. Forget the country they came from when I did a "whois" on the internet. Wasn't Russia but it was one of the dodgy ones. Idiots. Whole lot of infected computers somewhere)

Would appreciate anyones help - have new imac - no modem - and only dial up at home so
could I use the older emac (with modem) to connect somehow the internet to the imac ?????

You might need a new thread for that one as your question will be lost under the heading of this quite separate topic. But to answer: I don't know. iMacs are Airport ready and I can't speak for an eMac but you'd need some kind of Airport to get the lot going. An Airport is a ROUTER and they are necessary to share internet between two or more computers. Otherwise, get a modem and an appropriate adaptor so the modem can be plugged into the iMac. Newer iMacs don't have scope for a "telephone plug" but older ones certainly do.

ClockWork
4th April 2008, 04:18 AM
Is it possible... that there is something actually wrong with your AirPort Base Station and that it is actually in error, and can be replaced (or seen to) by Apple?

Is it still within the warranty period?

Also, by AEBS, do you mean: AirPort Extreme Base Station or AirPort Express Base Station ?

Anyone out there with any constructive ideas - outside of: Yeah that happened to a friend of mine... once... etc etc

cw

Lilith
5th April 2008, 12:04 AM
Oh it's an Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11n model. The most recent one.

Everything is as up to date on my entire system, for a Tiger system.

Actually, I haven't had an Airport dropout now for about 24 hours. Problem well and truly solved.

For the curious I should point out that a hard reset of an AEBS MIGHT NOT BE ENOUGH.

You see, it saves a couple of files in:

Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences > SystemConfiguration > com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
Lilith > Library > Preferences > com.apple.airport.adminutility.plist
Lilith > Library > Preferences > ByHost > com.apple.airport.agent.{hex numbers}.plist
Lilith > Library > Application Support > Apple > Airport

What I'm now supposed to say is (yawn) make a copy of these files and then delete them. This is a much much cleaner way of doing a cold reinstall.

----------------------------

Um, sorry to labour the point. My original question is still unanswered: how to auto restart an Airport Connection.

Anyone?

ClockWork
5th April 2008, 10:28 AM
Possible solution (http://lingon.sourceforge.net/)?

Lingon helps to create scripts to relaunch crashed background activities.

microE
2nd July 2008, 07:49 AM
if its the same issue exactly, but I continue to have a similar problem that begins with a dropped connection, which is merely annoying, but which then escalates occasionally to a point where I'm required to reboot AEBSn, physically, via power cord.

Airport Utility won't connect at that point so I'm not able to accomplish this remotely.

My problem: this base station is 5000 kilometers away in a remote location.

If I could automate a safe reboot, say every night at 0300, maybe I could count on it and not have to look into getting some kind of "Enterprise" Cisco router that has something like a 24/7 guarantee.

Mac Aid
4th July 2008, 12:21 AM
This is a reasonably common issue with the new Airport Extreme's and Time Capsules. There was a firmware update a couple of days ago. I haven't had a chance to see if that fixes it as yet, but if not, a downgrade to v7.3.0 usually solves it.