PDA

View Full Version : You've spilt cofee on your powerbook........

anarchron
24th March 2005, 05:51 PM
Hi, I've just been having a problem recently trying to get Apple to fix my PowerBook due to warping issues. Apparently according to one of their techies, I've spilt coffee on my PowerBook and hence causing it to overheat and causing it to warp. It sounds totally ridiculous to me because I never have coffee near my PowerBook nor do I even drink it.

For some reason, that seems to be the generic answer by techies who do not want to fix machines as I have heard from a friend who said that recently, HP had refused to fix his machine due to coffee stains on his motherboard. He also like me, never drinks cofee.

Has anyone been in that situation before?

Thanks

arty
24th March 2005, 06:50 PM
Its usually pretty easy to tell if coffee has been spilt on a machine once it's opened.

If you are having a case warping issue then your local AppleCentre should at least have a look at it for you.

Which city are you in?

titan44
24th March 2005, 07:03 PM
I've just pulled the keyboard off my iBook ( yeah it's not a powerbook, i'd imagine they would'nt be that much different), and from someone who has fixed a few coffee/coke/insert beverage here, misshaps with laptops, I just don't see how even a very hot cup of coffee is going to warp it.

anarchron
24th March 2005, 07:07 PM
Yeh neither, and it makes me feel that the coffee stains were spilt there on purpose by the techie. It is because I don't drink coffee, and it is never near my computer. Also, the only 2 places it has ever been is either with me or the apple center where it's been back for repairs for the 4th time.

Maticks
25th March 2005, 04:27 PM
which city are you in ?

Ozi
25th March 2005, 04:41 PM
LOL i keep seing this topic, and thinking "i spilt coffee on my pBook? Oh n000es!"

then i relax. But the panic is always there... lurking in the background. :P

And yeah, keyboard protectors can go some way to preventing spilt liquids entering your comp, but it can still enter through the speakers. :S

Peter Wells
25th March 2005, 05:47 PM
yeah, my g4 ibook has warped, its now trapping cd's in the tray, and coffee has never been near it.

so arty, how long would the techies at mymac take to fix this? i havent taken it in cos i dont want to go without my mac for long...

arty
25th March 2005, 05:54 PM
Well we can't order any parts from Apple til Thursday as they are changing systems, however once a tech looks at it you could take it away again until the part comes in.

Probably the best thing to do is call up on Tuesday & book it in - we'll need to know model, serial number, etc.

We'll give you a call the day before a tech can see it so you can bring it in to us.

They will look at it & you can take it away again that day, then we'll call you when the part(s) come in.

Drop it off after you get the call & you will usually have it back again same day.

Edit: My Mac service phone # 03 9663 9444

Peter Wells
25th March 2005, 06:11 PM
fantastic! thanks for the quick reply!

anarchron
26th March 2005, 11:35 AM
Sorry for the late reply guys. It's pretty hard to get online with a computer nowadays.

Arty: I'm in Melbourne. I've dropped off my computer with Computers Now Sth Melbourne.

This is actually going to be my 4th repair (if they do repair it, of course). I have already contacted Apple Customer Relations and they have already assigned my a Rep. The first repair occured last year in July when the bottom case started warping. The techie tried to fix it by bending the Aluminium back into shape, it only stayed that way for a couple of months. Later due to the techie bending the aluminium into shape, the palm-rests did not sit well with the bottom case and it started creaking everytime I started typing. That was resolved by the replacement of the bottom case, only to have the screen release latch broken which was then resolved by another bottom case replacement. The techie claims that it is quite unusual for a computer to have a bottom case replaced so many times.

It seems though that they seem to be trying hard not to replace my computer by claiming that the warping was a result of me mishandling my computer. Firstly due to a small dint on the battery, which I have told them before, that happened before the 2nd repair and it happened when it was seperate and not attached to the actual computer. With that issue close being resolved, they've come up with a ridiculous reasoning that they've detected coffee stains on my computer and hence it must be due to that, the warping has occured.

The thing is, it is actually very cumbersome for me to keep bringing my computer back to Apple for repairs and I understand the warranty does not cover for mishandling of the computer. However, they seem to think that I must have dropped it or spilt coffee on it to cause the warping to occur.

anarchron
29th March 2005, 05:30 PM
Hi guys, here are some updates. Apparently the infrence is that I must have spilt coffee, panicked and dropped the computer or I must have pressed it too hard.

Here are some photos that the Apple tech sent me:

http://img126.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img126&image=img025317cf.jpg

http://img126.exs.cx/img126/7485/img02514wh.jpg

http://img126.exs.cx/img126/6899/img02525wq.jpg

Disko
30th March 2005, 10:40 AM
What's the next step from here, anarchron?

Goodbye
30th March 2005, 12:12 PM
If it is spilt coffee, wouldn't it be in a larger area than just that small place? And it doesn't particularly look like coffee to me anyway.

anarchron
30th March 2005, 06:39 PM
I don't know what to do. Computers Now seem to be pretty insistent that the stain must have been spilt coffee of my doing. :unsure:

suryo
30th March 2005, 07:05 PM
I can't see much from the photos but, from what is visible, there doesn't appear to be any stains on the back of the actual keyboard itself. If coffee, or any liquid for that matter, were spilt through the keyboard, wouldn't one expect to see stains on the actual keyboard as well?

anarchron
30th March 2005, 07:25 PM
Yeh, that was exactly what I thought when I saw those photos.