PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Battery

butters
24th March 2005, 03:44 PM
I have a 15" 1ghz Powerbook and over the last few weeks it has started to lose its charge.

It only lasts around 1.30hrs when it should be lasting around 4+hrs.

So I went to the apple store as i have warranty until 2007(currently haven't had it longer than a year) and they said that the battery isn't covered under warranty..

I was just wanting to know if this is in fact true or not?

Cause I spent $198 on getting a new battery for it when I think that I should really be getting it replaced under warranty.

hawker
24th March 2005, 03:53 PM
I would have thought it was a warranty job too.

Hopefully someone else can give insight, but if I see MacMate around the traps I'll ask him for you :)

the_OM
24th March 2005, 03:59 PM
Batteries aren't covered under warranty, simply because it is inevitable that they will lose their charge over time.

hawker
24th March 2005, 04:29 PM
I guess that makes sense, but still, sounds like a scam to me :P

butters
24th March 2005, 04:44 PM
damn.. It says it has a 1 year warranty with the new one I bought and it covers it against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use.

Obviously the bad workmanship that went into my battery made it only last 11months :rolleyes:

hawker
24th March 2005, 04:52 PM
That's one way to look at it... ;)

Oh well bad luck I guess

CoeurdeLyon
24th March 2005, 06:04 PM
butters, did you check out the points in the PowerBook: Power and Battery FAQ on apple's web site?

PowerBook: Power and Battery FAQ (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=18241)

butters
24th March 2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks for that CoeurdeLyon

butters.

paulharrop
24th March 2005, 07:24 PM
I thought it would have a 1 year warranty. If they can give a warranty on a replacement why not on the original??

My iBooks at school get a one year warranty on the battery. I don't think that this is just for education.

Sounds a bit tough to me.

Paul

pipsqeek
25th March 2005, 11:11 AM
Apple xBook's have a 1 yr battery warranty. Unless they have changed it in the past 6 months.

My old G3 iBook's battery was lasting about 45 mins after 12.5 months of use. And my persistance with Apple finally paid off, I got my battery replaced under warranty.

So, whoever told you that it is not, and you've had it for less then a year is either giving you crap or Apple Australia have in fact changed their policy on batteries.

pipsqeek

hawker
25th March 2005, 12:52 PM
I guess it depends on how loud you shout hey pipsqeek

butters
25th March 2005, 02:05 PM
When I go back on tuesday to get my logic board replaced on my PowerBook I will have a chat to them again and see if they change their minds..

Matt.