PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Trash Sometimes Freezes When Emptying

DarkAvenger
31st March 2008, 12:05 PM
When I choose 'Secure Empty Trash' to delete items in my trash the process will sometimes freeze and it also reports more items being emptied than what there really are. For example if I only have 1 item in my trash it will sometimes report a higher number like 6. This has happened several times since upgrading to Leopard.

I can stop the process by quitting the Finder then trying again and the trash will empty fine and also report the correct number of items being emptied, but this shows there are bugs in Leopard which Apple have yet to fix.

Disko
31st March 2008, 12:07 PM
this shows there are bugs in Leopard which Apple have yet to fix.

... or you've got a bad sector on your HDD that your comp is having trouble writing over.

DarkAvenger
31st March 2008, 12:21 PM
... or you've got a bad sector on your HDD that your comp is having trouble writing over.

I'll run 'TechTool Deluxe' on my HD to be safe, but this has only been happening since upgrading to Leopard.

ClockWork
31st March 2008, 12:30 PM
And the reason you're getting 6 items when only 1 item is going down the loo, is because it's counting its Package Contents: the pieces that fit together to make one file, and yes - I'd be inclined to backup everything and run Tech Tool over the HD.

DarkAvenger
31st March 2008, 12:58 PM
I went to run TechTool Deluxe on my HD, but when I try to run it it displays the following message:

'TechTool Deluxe was not authenticated. This product requires administrator privileges in order to run.'

Why am I getting this message and how do I fix it? This message never came up the last time I ran it.

DarkAvenger
31st March 2008, 01:27 PM
I went to use 'TechTool Deluxe' to scan my HD for errors, but when I try to run it I receive the following message:

'TechTool Deluxe was not authenticated. This product requires administrator privileges in order to run.'

I'm the only user of this Mac (no other users are set up) and when I go into Accounts it says I'm the Admin and 'Allow user to administer this computer' is ticked so why am I getting this message if I'm clearly the administrator and therefore have administrator privileges?

ClockWork
31st March 2008, 03:31 PM
You've double-posted (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/13/46946-techtool-deluxe-not-authenticating.html) on this problem. Keep it all-in-one, lest the two issues become separated.

Before you do anything... I would most certainly backup the data. Do you have an external drive, or know someone with an external drive?

Backing up IS CRITICAL.

The reason no one's responded yet... is because no one knows the answer yet.

So whilst others in Mac land are out there tinkering, find or borrow an External Drive (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/41005-external-drives-dummies.html).

Every time I boot up from Tech Tool Pro 4.6.1, I get a message warning me to back up all data before continuing, because Tech Tool can actually cause more damage whilst working out what the problem is.

DarkAvenger
31st March 2008, 11:16 PM
I don't have an external drive , but I do have an internal backup drive though I don't recall TechTool ever warning me to backup my drive when I ran it.

Could the message I'm getting have anything to do upgrading from Tiger to Leopard as before I upgraded I could run TechTool Deluxe just fine. I will try reinstalling it to see if that works as it might just be an upgrade hickup.

ClockWork
1st April 2008, 05:40 AM
okay - starting from base level, what is your Apple model / how much RAM / capacity of Hard Drive - etc: all information thank you

DarkAvenger
3rd April 2008, 04:35 PM
My Apple model is a Powermac G4 Mirrored Drive Doors Dual 1.42 GHz with 2 GB RAM (Maximum), Main HD 120 GB, Backup HD 40 GB and running 10.5.0

DarkAvenger
5th April 2008, 05:25 PM
I don't know what the problem was but as soon as I upgraded to version 3.1.2 the authentication error disappeared and now I can run TechTool Deluxe fine.

I'm scanning my HD for errors now.

DarkAvenger
5th April 2008, 06:19 PM
Ok TechTool Deluxe reports no errors or problems with the HD, but Trash is still freezing.

ClockWork
7th April 2008, 08:36 AM
Have you upgraded all Software Updates including the leap from OS 10.5.0 to 10.5.2?

and what did you upgrade to version 3.1.2 ?

AddIt: Does TechTool Deluxe allow you to perform a Surface Scan ?

stewiesno1
7th April 2008, 09:28 AM
CW , I think he means he has upgraded TechToolDeLuxe to 3.1.2. I wonder if this version is compatible with both Tiger and Leopard ?

Edit: After a quick Google , apparently this version is compatible with 10.4 and 10.5 so no problems there. I have not used TT DeLuxe but am familiar with it's heavyweight brother TTPro which I would reccomend instead.

Stewie

ClockWork
7th April 2008, 12:23 PM
Looks like you're right.
I haven't used TechTool Deluxe, but like Stewie, am a user of TechTool Pro (http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=5010&osCsid=579a976e440dfb8329aeea13821b593e) - which allows one to perform all kinds of tests over a machine in both 10.4 and 10.5, including a meticulous Surface Scan which carefully examines the Hard Drive's platters for, as Disko indicated, bad sectors.

If one finds more than 3 bad sectors on a Hard Drive, one can pretty much conclude that it requires a replacement.

One can try backing up data, doing a zero all data erase, clean installing Mac OS Tiger / Leopard, and then running TechTools back over the hard Drive to see if the bad sectors are still there, though in most cases they either "are" still there, or else they come back within a matter of weeks.

Looks like TechTool Deluxe (http://www.micromat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=51) has a utility which allows one to check for Bad Blocks, but I've never used it so I don't know how good it is.

DarkAvenger: The other thing you could try is to use your internal backup drive, by installing Mac OS 10.5 on that, upgrading it all the way up to Mac OS 10.5.2, filling it up with useless junk and then see if it freezes when the Trash is emptied. If it doesn't, there's a problem with the main Hard Drive. If it does, the problem lays elsewhere in your MDD, like in the RAM - or in the Power Supply Unit.

Link
7th April 2008, 12:40 PM
[quote=DarkAvenger;473156]For example if I only have 1 item in my trash it will sometimes report a higher number like 6. This has happened several times since upgrading to Leopard.quote]

Actually I get the same thing too. I have a G4 933 with an 80 and 250 HDD's and if I place a single .JPG file into the trash and secure empty it will say 7 files are being deleted. This happens when I am deleting files from either HD.
I don't have an issue with it freezing though.
Funny enough it dosen't seem to display extra files with the normal delete, only secure delete.

Running 10.5.2

Currawong
7th April 2008, 01:09 PM
When you delete a file normally, you don't really delete it, just remove the hard disk directory entry that points to the file. The file data still exists, but because there are no references to it, the space it occupies is considered free and can be overwritten.

Presumably secure delete writes over the spaces (or multiple spaces if the file is fragmented) that the file took up. I wouldn't be surprised if it does this multiple times for good measure. As a result of the much increased disk operation, it'll take longer.