PDA

View Full Version : iBook 500MHz won't turn on

Gandalfawiz
24th March 2005, 02:33 PM
Ok I recently got an ibook 500MHz from my friend. He said his mom dropped it and it stopped working. Soon after I got it I plugged it into an DC converter for the Apple titanium. It booted up and it was working great. I charged up the battery and I was able to turn it on for the next couple of days. I had to leave for school and told my dad to shutdown the computer. He shut it down and since then my ibook doesn't even start or anything. I can't hear any sounds when I press the power button. When I plug in my the DC converter the light sometimes blinks when it is plugged in. It flashs really quickly between orange(charging) and green. The odd thing is that sometimes when I press the power button and the battery is in the caps lock key, the num lock key, and the sleep all illuminate and stay illuminated until I remove the battery, but I don't hear any sounds comming from the laptop. I really don't know if that is some code or something, but if someones knows what that means and could tell me that would be great. Thanks.

Botox
24th March 2005, 02:44 PM
You've probably been here already, but if not, it could be a good starting point.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300552

Byrd
24th March 2005, 05:49 PM
Is the Powerbook Titanium power adaptor the right one for the iBook? Often PB's have 65W adaptors, while iBooks have 45W (the yoyo style for first revision iBooks). Hope nothing has been fried.

First, I'd remove the battery from the iBook and let everything discharge for at least six hours - this will reset the PRAM. While doing this, reset the power manager of the iBook (similar to performing a CUDA reset on desktop Macs). This is performed by pressing the reset pin located on the left side of the machine (next to the ports). Hold it down for 3 seconds.

After waiting, put the battery back in, and see if you can borrow a proper iBook 45W yoyo power adaptor.

Good luck,

JB

Gandalfawiz
24th March 2005, 06:11 PM
Funny thing was that it work perfectly with the other power adapter. I had it pluged in for a couple of hours. I do have the yo yo one. I will see if that works right now I have the whole thing taken apart to try to find the problem. I will see if that works in the morning thanks.

iMick
24th March 2005, 06:44 PM
Try resetting the PMU dude. Worked for me the few times my G3 800 has skitzed. Sounds exactly the same as what is happening to your rig.

Gandalfawiz
26th March 2005, 05:38 AM
Ok I've tried resetting the Pram twice. One time I left the battery out for about 12 hours and the other times for about 24 hours. Before I put the battery in the pressed the reset button for 3-5 seconds then put in the battery. Nothing really happened. Although on my 24 hour try I did hear some sort of humming coming from the HDD. Its wasn't the normal statup hum, but some irregular soft hum. I also heard some other hum once I put in the battery(this was a constant one). I do have the yo yo power adapter now and that didn't seem to do anything. When I first got the laptop it started up except I'm not sure what happened, but I went away for a while and it just shutdown. The next time it worked perfectly. My friend had it for a while and said it wouldn't turn on. So does it take longer than 24 hours to discharge some parts in the ibook? I might just have it discharge for a week or so and see what happens. Maybe talk to someone at the genius bar. Oh and still, the caps lock, numlock, and sleep are still all illuminated. If anyone has any other suggestions that would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Byrd
26th March 2005, 10:08 AM
Quite possible the DC power board has cacked it then (this is removable and replaceable however). I've a faulty power plug on my iBook 500, and when the power adaptor isn't positioned properly I get a 'screeching' sound coming from the yoyo adaptor. Sometimes I forget to plug it in properly and the battery doesn't charge.

Is there any charge left in your battery? Reading above you've dismantled the iBook - any blown ICs or something around the DC power board?

JB