PDA

View Full Version : Aperture: Time Machine, Vaults and External HDDs

mestevie
30th March 2008, 06:18 PM
Hi Again!

I have just purchased an external HDD to do aperture backups as well as be the time machne for my macbook.

I know that Aperture also does backups via the vault.

I am wondering what the best strategy for backing up aperture is.

I understand that Time Machine and Aperture now play nicely since 10.5.2. However, I am unclear as to whether Time Machine backs up more than it needs to when it looks at small changes in the aperture library.

Info on the Google is a bit confusing.

Any ideas would be much appreciated...

BLINDER
30th March 2008, 06:25 PM
I manually back-up Aperture after each session using the vault.
I also export finished projects to 2 sep Hard drives and then delete the project from the Aperture main library and the vault.
With Aperture I reckon it's best if you're in charge of how it happens and what gets backed up.
You want to make sure.
I'm sure time machine would cope but I'm also uncertain whether it would notice the changes inside the library - maybe someone else has specific info??

mestevie
30th March 2008, 06:35 PM
I manually back-up Aperture after each session using the vault.
I also export finished projects to 2 sep Hard drives and then delete the project from the Aperture main library and the vault.
With Aperture I reckon it's best if you're in charge of how it happens and what gets backed up.
You want to make sure.
I'm sure time machine would cope but I'm also uncertain whether it would notice the changes inside the library - maybe someone else has specific info??

Hi Blinder, thanks for the response...yes the issue of how it handles the library seems to be a key one one the forums i have searched....

dotnet
30th March 2008, 09:03 PM
I'm not using TM with Aperture (or anything) yet, but if I ever do I'll sure as hell do it in addition to vaults, not instead.

My vaults have saved my twice already from my own stupidity.

Cheers
Steffen.