PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Won't Let Me Eject My Disk

DarkAvenger
30th March 2008, 04:53 PM
Since upgrading to Leopard everytime I try to eject a CD or DVD I keep getting the following message:

The Disk is in use and could not be ejected.

Try quitting applications and try again

Obviously the disk is not in use so why do I keep getting the message? This NEVER happened in Panther or Tiger.

How do I fix this? Thanks.

Huy
30th March 2008, 04:56 PM
Force Quit Finder/Relaunch Finder.
Logoff/Restart.

I get it as well and that's how I do it. Might not be pleasant but it does the job. Restart.

PatrickH
30th March 2008, 04:58 PM
The most logical one I can come up with is to restart the computer and then eject it whilst it's booting up.

EDIT:
Too slow for Huy's quick typing. :p

craigd
30th March 2008, 05:02 PM
you can also eject it form disk utility

PatrickH
30th March 2008, 05:08 PM
I found this if it's any help:

Apple - Support - Discussions - The Disk "disk name" is in use and ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6925258)

Thunderstruck
29th April 2008, 12:40 PM
Reviving this thread, having the same problem with no solution yet.

I just rebuilt the spotlight index for my 160GB LaCie Porsche drive (drag disk into spotlight privacy list and then drag out) it's all finished hours ago, the spotlight icon is clear, no longer pulsating.

Now I can't eject the disk. Finder says disk is in use. Trying out the suggestion on that apple discussion forum gave me a list of this repeated about 20 times:

mds 35 root 98r REG 14,15 4 498633 /Volumes/Avalanche/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/7B42867F-3E49-4D26-8896-C280580B3273/live.1.indexPositions

and then ending with this:

fseventsd 41 root 8u REG 14,15 0 500048 /Volumes/Avalanche/.fseventsd/0000000048f2f4db

I need to:
> Leave in 20 minutes and bring this MacBook with me
> Eject without logging out, closing apps, nor shutting down

No documents from that disk are open. Active apps are Safari, Camino, NetNewsWire, and Finder and I need all of them to remain open. I'm on 10.5.2. FWIW, I even tried repairing permissions (like that would help)

Bastard Sheep
29th April 2008, 07:59 PM
I'm yet to have this method (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106882) (scroll down to "Open firmware") fail for me.

For those who can't be bothered clicking the link ...

1. Restart the computer. If necessary, use the reset/interrupt button.
2. Immediately after the system startup tone, press and hold the Command-Option-O-F key combination. The computer starts up to a text-only screen, indicating that you are in Open Firmware.
3. At the prompt, type: eject cd
4. Press Return.
5. Type: mac-boot
6. Press Return

I've had numerous discs fail to eject by all other methods shown on that page and work by the one I quoted.

The only time this method failed was when I had a slot-loading drive come loose so it was ejecting the CD it would hit the case rather than come out the slot. Of course, in that situation you could easily hear what was going on.

artsnot
24th May 2008, 05:54 PM
I have had the same problem with external HD's and USB's. Try this:

1.Click Command/Tab to bring up the running programs.
2.Tab over to Finder and hit "Q" to quit finder.

That's it. So far it has worked every time I have gotten a "Disk is in use and cannot be ejected" notice.

iPirate
24th May 2008, 06:24 PM
So that means: Get tinkertool and add "Quit" item to Finder menu.

My way (that sometimes worked) was to type in terminal "sudo open /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility.app" and eject it there (Normally opening Disk Util didn't work :(

icant
24th May 2008, 06:28 PM
Just a thought that I wish Apple would bloody tell us which applications to quit/processes to kill.

That message (Try quitting applications and try again) is as useless now as it has been in the last 13 years (at least).

samwalk
24th May 2008, 07:42 PM
I have had this problems several times with external drives and memory sticks and have always found Huy's suggestion of relaunching the finder to allow me to then eject the disk.

iPirate
24th May 2008, 10:14 PM
Relaunching or Quitting Finder is having no effect... and this is just a clone of the Leopard installer disc, so I have no idea what the System wants to do with that.

vecsty
24th May 2008, 10:31 PM
Is everyone who is having this issue, on 10.5.2 ?

Currawong
24th May 2008, 10:51 PM
Open up the Terminal and type:

lsof -n | grep

then before hitting return/enter, press the space bar once (after grep) and then drag the icon for the disk from the Finder into the terminal window.

Press return, see if you get any results. It'll tell you what program is accessing files on the disk.

iPirate
24th May 2008, 11:08 PM
Input: lsof -n | grep /Volumes/EmergencyBootDisk
Output: Nothing
Can I eject it? No, I need to quit something. But nothing is using the disk...

mab
24th May 2008, 11:09 PM
In the terminal type

hdiutil eject -force /Volume/volumeNameHere

iPirate
24th May 2008, 11:11 PM
Yay! Hdiutil to the rescue! Now if only there were freeware things to do these command-line things...

Oh wait, I'm in a programming course. How about that :)

Encryption
19th March 2009, 05:11 PM
I realise this is a bit late, but I wrote a menubar application that does exactly what you want, called iRestart.
Download it Here (http://www.blastcube.com/Complete_Apps.html)