PDA

View Full Version : bluetooth/2.4ghz vs 27mhz wireless keyboards

jobe
24th March 2005, 11:30 AM
I have recently run into the need for a new keyboard and mouse owing to the fact that my old Logitech cordless freedom pro (with it's cordless ball mouse :ph34r: ), interferes something chronic with my wlan at home. So after much investigation, Iím still has indecisive as before, either Microsoft or Logitech.

Why? 27mhz, that's why. I'd like to open the floor to this discussion of the pros and cons of each and anyone's opinion on either products.

So what does 27mhz offer that 2.4ghz and Bluetooth doesn't? Nothing at all. Infact, by all means it is an inferior technology with a whole 2, yes TWO channels to prevent interference and up to an amazing 6 feet of range. Compared to the 128-bit authentication and variable encryption key size offered by Bluetooth making it virtually impossible for the script kiddy war drivers in their excel out the front of the house to log your key strokes.

BUT, Bluetooth is a 2.4ghz standard. And like all 2.4ghz devices (cordless phones, leaky microwaves etc), can cause interfere with 2.4ghz wlans. If you haven't guessed yet, my priority is the wlan. What's the point of having a wireless keyboard if I cannot sit on my bed and type this post ;) The interference problem was especially worse for me owing to the fact that from my room, I can pick up 5 other wireless networks. Meaning my wlan channel selection is limited (I wont go into the further drawbacks of superG's channel binding). Living in such a dense area has it's downside.

My only concern is someone else within range will have a microsoft 27mhz wireless keyboard and mouse and well... I'm sure most of you have read stores about people sitting at their computer and words start appearing. And if you haven't then you obviously have more of a life than me.

ofcourse I'm not completely against development. I will use Bluetooth to sync with my mobile phone on rare occasions.

Here's my dilemma. The technical specifications from Logitech or Microsoft are a waste of time. Neither specifically states what frequency each of their products operates on, pretty much saying "some run on 27mhz, others on 2.4ghz or bluetooth". Yeah, thanks!

So, what frequency does M$ Wireless Optical Desktop Elite (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=016) or the Logitech Cordless Desktop LX 700 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/AU/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=9438) run on.

I'm taking this frequency thing very serious and am retiring my old 2.4ghz wireless phones for some that operate on 900mhz also. I've had enough problems with this wlan already.

arty
24th March 2005, 12:21 PM
The MS Wireless Optical Desktop Elite runs at 27MHz

Edit:
Logitech Cordless Desktop LX700 Mouse is 27.145MHz
Logitech Cordless Desktop LX700 Keyboard is 27.045MHz

davotoula
16th April 2005, 03:50 AM
The Logitech Cordless Desktop LX700 Keyboard supports some kind of encryption. Some kind because I have not looked into the details but it required typing in a 8 digit key so I suspect should keep script kiddies and accidental cross wire away.

David Kaspar (http://www.davidkaspar.com)

Quamen
16th April 2005, 07:54 AM
My logitech MX700 duo kit works fine with my wireless network.

jobe
16th April 2005, 11:28 AM
yep. I got the logitech LX700 set and it works a treat.

snax
16th April 2005, 12:57 PM
I and others I've talked to are extremely happy with the Apple wireless keyboard. It's also a great size... very minimal - just a slab of white keys.